Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many times is too many times to cycle a bullet through my G27? I think the same top round in my mag, a 165gr Winchester PDX1 JHP has probably been through about 30 times and has a couple little dents and nicks now. I'll be at the range this weekend so afterwards I'll have all "fresh" ammo but it has me wondering.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Once I have chambered the same round three times it goes in the Range Bin.

Those rounds generally only get chanmbered one more time, at the Range, and are then disposed of in a downrange fashion.

Biker

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I rotate my top round to the bottom of the magazine every so often. When I feel it's time as opposed to any specific number of times chambered. I don't let mine get to the point of being scratched or dented though. A few times a year, all of my carry ammo will be refreshed and the old will get shot up at the range. I actually keep a box just for 'must shoot...do not carry any more' ammo.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
2-3 chamberings, and it'll go in a spare mag for either range or backup mag use.

To the OP: if you have access to a calipers, measure the overall length of the round, compared to one that's never been chambered...I'm interested to see if you've got any bullet setback...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figured as much guys, thanks. Its just one of those things I didn't think about when I started carrying on a daily basis. I brought an extra mag and a box of ammo to keep on hand that I can cycle though and fill up for when I unload for whatever reason here. Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I only recycle the top two rounds in my mag...maybe 3-4 times, then those top two SD rounds are fired off at the range followed by the rest of my hardball...:image035:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts