Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about all of you but, the vast majority of my ammo stash is FMJ. Sure, I have several hundred rounds of JHP for each caliber but, what happens when that runs dry if we really have to use it? At that point I am down to round ball and then the oft repeated point "modern ammo has made all calibers the same" mantra starts to fall apart in my opinion.
The 45acp and the 357 magnum will become the primary then. Since I will be back to caveman ammo I am going bigger and/or faster.

·
Premium Member
33,780 Posts
I don't know about all of you but, the vast majority of my ammo stash is FMJ. Sure, I have several hundred rounds of JHP for each caliber but, what happens when that runs dry if we really have to use it? At that point I am down to round ball and then the oft repeated point "modern ammo has made all calibers the same" mantra starts to fall apart in my opinion.
The 45acp and the 357 magnum will become the primary then. Since I will be back to caveman ammo I am going bigger and/or faster.
I will have transitioned to the 5.45 and 7.62 well before I run out of handgun carry ammo.

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
You need to move out of that neighborhood...:theyareontome:

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
One of the things that have always been endearing for me about the 45Auto, that also applies to revolvers using Keith style bullets in about any commonly used SD caliber is, you can, to a great degree, ignore the rat race that leads to more expense for a negligible return on performance.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Yep I think for most people on here if we are down to FMJ and target loads things have gone very very very wrong and the gov is not really there ..Most gunfights in a SD rold only last what a few rounds at most so if we are going trough 50 -100-200-300 rounds of SD ammo oh dear

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How many gunfights are you planning on getting in during the pandemic?

And as one shooting instructor I had used to say, "How much ammo you need depends on how much you plan on missing."
Well, you know. Zombie apocalypse and all.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
In 10mm, 357 Sig and 45 GAP I only have JHP - I could build the wall from 300 movie that @OldVet posted before I ran out of niche HP.
Then I could start on the 45 acp, 40 S&W and 9mm HP ... I would likely be out of toilet paper before I was out of HP. (I learned from the past ammo panics).
But yes, if all the HP was gone and I still had food, beer :wink: and something to wipe with, 45 FMJ would be preferred over 40 or 9mm FMJ.

Reactions: Chaplain Scott

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Well, you know. Zombie apocalypse and all.
Some among us are less than optimistic about our fellow mankind. Having witnessed a few riots you may want to invest in fire extinguishers. Rioters come in packs, their not looking for those that resist but those that are submissive/frightened. When Martin Luther King was assassinated we trained for riot control at Lejeune but were not deployed thus I ended up deployed to 3Rd BN 8th Marines at GITMO. One of the things we were taught concerning riot control was to take out the leaders of the rioters.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, except the zombies in this case will be coughing, fatigued, feverish, barely able to breathe and attacking you would be the last thing on their minds. I think a slingshot would be more than adequate.
Or...it could be the meth heads who's supply line of cold pills and drain cleaner has dried up and no more batches of their brew left for consumption.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
Before the knees, I reckon you’re a 1/2” or so shorter now.
Taller actually. It straightens out the bowed legs. I could definitely tell the difference after they replaced the first one.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I rotated the ammo in my primary SD weapons last week, the same as I do every spring.

The 9mm's now have fresh Federal HST, the 380 has fresh Critical Defense, and the 38 has fresh Hyrdashock.
The HD shotgun has a fresh load of Federal Classic 00 with Flite Control in the side saddle and Federal Classic slugs in the Speed Feed stock.

Looking at my current inventory, I should be good for 8-10 years unless TSHTF and I actually have to use it. Realized that I haven't shot last years SD ammo yet. May hold on to it for a while until I know I can replace it.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts