Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://patdollard.com/2013/04/ted-cruz-republican-senators-yelled-at-me-at-the-top-of-their-lungs-for-stopping-gun-control/:aargh4:

I am at a loss. What are your thoughts on this. I have two Republican senators who are hit-or-miss when voting on conservative issues. They talk a good game, pictures with shotguns and such during the campaigns, but don't stand for constitutional liberty every time.

What do we do when the "conservative" representation allows our liberties to be eroded? I fear that we're closing in on a line that, once crossed, will be the end of the Republic and the liberties it has allowed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
People like Ted Cruz give me hope in American politics...

What the politicians need to realize is that we stick to doing things the legal and political way because we are law-abiding citizens. However, potentially demonizing us as Constitutionalists is only going to push us into a corner. And I think they need to remember what the Colonists did when they were pushed into that same corner.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I'm not sure, since voting hasn't worked for me, neither has donating, neither has writing or calling my Congressmen... maybe some people on here should run for public office. Seriously, we could all run in our districts. Even if one or two people get elected, it might help.

·
Banned
2,648 Posts
We no longer have elected representatives, we now have representatives that represent their own agenda and are nothing more than parasites enriching themselves at the expense of the taxpayers.

·
Banned
1,029 Posts
When someone mentions,inspecting your home,to make sure,your rifle is stored safely,or,you need anger management classes before,you buy ammo,i don't know, what to think anymore.Someone decides,you can't leave your rifle, to your son or daughter,without our approval.They certainly don't care,about rights.I wonder,if they think it's a game.One anti gun state,going to,out do the other.I send emails,and,try to see who votes for what laws,in my state,and,go from there.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
http://patdollard.com/2013/04/ted-cruz-republican-senators-yelled-at-me-at-the-top-of-their-lungs-for-stopping-gun-control/:aargh4:

I am at a loss. What are your thoughts on this. I have two Republican senators who are hit-or-miss when voting on conservative issues. They talk a good game, pictures with shotguns and such during the campaigns, but don't stand for constitutional liberty every time.

What do we do when the "conservative" representation allows our liberties to be eroded? I fear that we're closing in on a line that, once crossed, will be the end of the Republic and the liberties it has allowed.
Your representative represents you, and approximately 699,999 other people in his district. The rest of them may not
believe exactly the same things you do, or feel exactly the same way you do on many issues. Your representative represents
the whole district, not you as an individual unless you have gone to him for assistance with a particular problem.

What is seen as dancing on the part of politicians is an attempt to meet the wishes of a majority of the people in your district.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
They "represent" those who grease their palm.

Got money? Got vote.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

·
Super Moderator
19,449 Posts
Communicate, communicate, communicate. Let your Congresscritters know where you stand. Visit them in their home office. Ask where they stand on issues important to you, and don't be satisfied with an ambiguous answer. Accept a disagreement based on fact, but not on emotion. If you have special knowledge or skill, offer it up - you never know what may come of that offer. And encourage your friends and neighbors to do the same as you.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Communicate, communicate, communicate. Let your Congresscritters know where you stand. Visit them in their home office. Ask where they stand on issues important to you, and don't be satisfied with an ambiguous answer. Accept a disagreement based on fact, but not on emotion. If you have special knowledge or skill, offer it up - you never know what may come of that offer. And encourage your friends and neighbors to do the same as you.
^ THIS is an extremely important part of participative citizenship. Without it, we effectively cede control to others. Active engagement is one of the few tools we have to retain governance of the People, by the People, for the People.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Your representative represents you, and approximately 699,999 other people in his district. The rest of them may not
believe exactly the same things you do, or feel exactly the same way you do on many issues. Your representative represents
the whole district, not you as an individual unless you have gone to him for assistance with a particular problem.

What is seen as dancing on the part of politicians is an attempt to meet the wishes of a majority of the people in your district
Just like anything else, that is not the case 100% of the time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Makes me glad I voted for Ted in the election.

The part that cracks me up is when Dems shout "But the country!". Sorry, my Senator isn't beholden to the country, he's beholden to the citizens in the state of Texas, and he did what the people in the state wanted, as it's supposed to be done.

I just wish Senators would be paid by the state they represent and not the Fed.

·
Banned
2,648 Posts

What is seen as dancing on the part of politicians is an attempt to meet the wishes of a majority of the people in your district.
I was an elected official for four terms, and I believe I have far more insight into the average elected official than most people. I have seen first hand who the majority of local, county and state elected officials attempted to please first, and in most cases it was not the people, it was the big contributors to their campaign accounts. Did I accept campaign contributions from the High Rollers, no, I did not on my first campaign and I ran unopposed on my last three terms. I would suggest that to get a better understanding of your representative(s) a person should request a copy of their campaign account. In most cases it will project the direction your representative will take based on the size of the contributions. I have met several elected officials that did attempt to meet the wishes of the people in their districts, and not the demands of the High Rollers and their consultants, they are no longer in office.

·
Registered
350 Posts
As much as I wish reality was not the way you describe, I accept it is for a large majority of politicians. My guess would be it only gets worse the higher up you go.

It is hard for us to make a difference at times. We can write but will it fall on deaf ears? We can protest companies against the Constitution, but will it put a dent in their bottom line?

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Its likely I could not get elected for dog catcher. I have neither the money nor the fancy education. When I was a child my father was asked to run for office and he could have been elected hands down. There was no doubt which is why he was asked and he was as simple a man as an old shoe but honest to a fault and could not be bought at any price.

He would not run resisting multiple visits by powerful politicians to try to get him to do so. His reason? I wont be bought and I wont support things I know are wrong. You fellows are here because you know I can win the election but then you will want me to do this and that the way you think it should be. And I wont. So you dont really want me to run even though right now you think you do and Ill change my tune like the rest of you have when money comes into the picture.

If I could be elected I would go expecting to be there for one term and do everything possible to tear down the present mess and reinstall constitutionality to our government. But plain folks like me and others cannot possibly be elected to Federal office any more.

·
Banned
2,648 Posts
As much as I wish reality was not the way you describe, I accept it is for a large majority of politicians. My guess would be it only gets worse the higher up you go.

It is hard for us to make a difference at times. We can write but will it fall on deaf ears? We can protest companies against the Constitution, but will it put a dent in their bottom line?
The problem with our system is that many of our federal representatives were first a city mayor/commissioner, then a county commissioner, a state representative and based on name recognition was elected to a senate or congressional seat. Experts at wheeling and dealing. A prime example is Ms. Feinstein of Crazyfornia, from a city mayor to the senate and in doing so has become a millionaire a few hundred times over. Old Harry Reid is no slouch either, worked as an attorney for a very short time before being elected to office, he is also a multi millionaire. My question is; how did they become multi millionaires on a senators salary legally.......Google, Harry Reid's land deals.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Exactly. I think that there are some (like Ted Cruz) who try their best but know they will have to do some unfavorable things at some point. Since we can about guarantee no one remotely "pure" can take office, we'll have to take someone who is "good enough" for now.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
They "represent" those who grease their palm.

Got money? Got vote.
Sadly this is pretty much how American Politics works.

Right & wrong rarely enter into the discussion. "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" is just a movie.
We lost representative government about 50 years ago.

Consider this: From day one as they enter office; a congressman or Senator must begin raising money for their re-election bid...a lot of money!
Is it any wonder they have no time to read the bills or fully understand the ramifications of a bill?

2) What is popular is not necessarily what is right to law makers. Special interests, media moguls and deep pockets (PACs) highly influence these "so called" reps. Wait; it gets better. The (PACs) bank accounts can and often are filled by (FOREIGN) concerns! Consider that.

3) Other than Supreme Court Judges, the terms of congress members and senators is precarious w/o a guarantee in length of service.
During this time, they MUST be raising money AND building their golden parachute.

Every..EVERY headline, be it print or television can be traced to money & power.

The sinful nature of man can not be legislated; but oh boy how we try.

Reactions: ccw9mm
1 - 20 of 23 Posts