Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about carrying and this is something I just thought of while at the range today.

When you CCW, do you have a round in the chamber?
Is the weapon on safe - if you have a standard safety?

I have a p345 and I am leaning towards round in the chamber, weapon on safe.
That way the 1st shot will be DAO, after that single.

I am just curious as to how you carry and why you choose that.

Thank you

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
This gets kicked around every now and then......count me in the "HOT" category, and not just when I carry. I have a big gun safe (1,450 lbs) and every handgun in it is loaded and ready to go, round chambered and safety on/fully loaded cylinders on the wheelies.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Glock style- round in, finger off trigger.

1911 style- round in, hammer back, safety on.

Sig DA/SA style- hammer down, safety off while on my person.

DAO w/ safety- Safety off while on my person.

That's just what I'm comfortable with, and how I believe the different types were designed to be carried.

·
Registered
13 Posts
1 in the pipe safety on

Sometimes I carry safety off if in a 7-11....
I prefer one in the pipe and safety on. Thinking about buying a DAO sometime. I'd like it a lot more.
What do the you other guys carry? DAO?
I like the feel of SA, but sometimes I can see where it would be easy to squeeze one (or two, or three...http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/vol_1/duh.gif
:duh: off in a tense situation.

·
Registered
835 Posts
DAO - safety is between the ears.

Round in the chamber? Of course! What good is an unloaded gun?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I mostly carry 1911s --- condition one -- round in chamber, hammer back, safety on.
And, like F350 said, most if not all of my guns in the safe are loaded too. My wife and I have a number 1 rule: check it, it's loaded. I am actually quite surprised when I find one in the safe that's not loaded...

·
Registered
134 Posts
XD-9 - Round chambered if it's on my hip. Cleared when I take it off at home.

S&W 642 - 5 rounds at all times. The only time I unload it is to clean it. It's DAO with a 9# (or heavier) trigger. I had my 10 year old boy dry fire it at the range. He couldn't pull the trigger with 2 fingers so it is safe enough for me.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Ok since i carry diff Guns ill break it down

G17/G20/Xd Sub compact One in chamber and finger off trigger of course.

1911 any style Cocked and Locked

Hk/Ruger Da First shot with Safety off Sa rest

Or Hk Cocked and locked

Wheelies well of course them are DA

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
1911 cocked and locked.

Just the way JMB designed it to be carried.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cmidkiff said:
DAO - safety is between the ears.

Round in the chamber? Of course! What good is an unloaded gun?

well sometimes my ears are the only thing up there..lol... I know what your saying though. I am leaning towards 1 in the chamber and safety on. I can hit the saftey with my thumb while drawing. And if I find myself in a BAD WAY and I don't have control over my weapon, it'll take the other person a second to figure out the safety is on. That 1 second could be worth a lifetime.

Seems most of you carry DAO saftey off. Hmm.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Carry an XDSubCompact, round in the chamber, finger off. Always carry it this way.

S&W 39 - One in the chamber, finger off.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
If 1911 type platform then yes, con' 1 - cocked and locked.

My long term carry now tho is the SIG 226 and so I am exploiting the benefits of DA/SA - round chambered, no safety - ready to rock :smile:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I carry my 1911 Condition 1; My P-01 1 in chamber, hammer at 1/2 cock (My P-01 is DA/SA) and my P3AT with 1 in the chamber also. I always carry fully loaded; My thinking - you can't guarantee that you will be physically able to chamber a round if you're in a fight.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There's a term used here several times that I'm not familiar with in the context of 'carrying'. Several have stated that they carry finger off. I'm thinking 'finger off...of course...it's in a holster'. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I am just curious as to how you carry and why you choose that.
No matter what I am carrying e.g. pistol or revolver there is one in the chamber. Part of carrying is being ready no matter what. If a BG confronts you, and you must act, do you suppose he will wait while you chamber a round?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Rgr - unless I am forgetting something myself - I'd say this is a ref to the draw technique - where finger off trigger is the only safe way to go.

Even as gun clears leather it is briefly and usually not pointing in a safe direction for us - but as the draw proceeds toward either a retention hold or full arm extension then the trigger is aquired if needed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks P95...that's what I was thinking.

·
Registered
77 Posts
xd

i love the xd because if its holstered its safe you have to have a grip on it to fire. As an aerospace tool designer i think it is one of the safest designs out there and belive me i know how to design stuff and its easy to use if you got into a battle. no levers to flip up for a safety just grab and go holster again and its safe. i love the grip safety and the triger safety. i think its safer than a 1911 style.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I have been experimenting with the CZ75 B in C&L... so far so good.

Otherwise, always one in the pipe ready to go, and as little in the way of safeties as the design of the gun necessitates. I'm used to the pull and fire action of a revolver and that's what I tend towards.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
When I carry a weapon,I'm ready to shoot the weapon. Without sound,without fuss. Just a small click(actually the safety on my Kimber has been overhauled to be very quiet)then a two bangs. Why be ALMOST ready ??? ------

1 - 20 of 109 Posts