Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about carrying and this is something I just thought of while at the range today.

When you CCW, do you have a round in the chamber?
Is the weapon on safe - if you have a standard safety?

I have a p345 and I am leaning towards round in the chamber, weapon on safe.
That way the 1st shot will be DAO, after that single.

I am just curious as to how you carry and why you choose that.

Thank you

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
This gets kicked around every now and then......count me in the "HOT" category, and not just when I carry. I have a big gun safe (1,450 lbs) and every handgun in it is loaded and ready to go, round chambered and safety on/fully loaded cylinders on the wheelies.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Glock style- round in, finger off trigger.

1911 style- round in, hammer back, safety on.

Sig DA/SA style- hammer down, safety off while on my person.

DAO w/ safety- Safety off while on my person.

That's just what I'm comfortable with, and how I believe the different types were designed to be carried.

·
Registered
13 Posts
1 in the pipe safety on

Sometimes I carry safety off if in a 7-11....
I prefer one in the pipe and safety on. Thinking about buying a DAO sometime. I'd like it a lot more.
What do the you other guys carry? DAO?
I like the feel of SA, but sometimes I can see where it would be easy to squeeze one (or two, or three...http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/vol_1/duh.gif
:duh: off in a tense situation.

·
Registered
835 Posts
DAO - safety is between the ears.

Round in the chamber? Of course! What good is an unloaded gun?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I mostly carry 1911s --- condition one -- round in chamber, hammer back, safety on.
And, like F350 said, most if not all of my guns in the safe are loaded too. My wife and I have a number 1 rule: check it, it's loaded. I am actually quite surprised when I find one in the safe that's not loaded...

·
Registered
134 Posts
XD-9 - Round chambered if it's on my hip. Cleared when I take it off at home.

S&W 642 - 5 rounds at all times. The only time I unload it is to clean it. It's DAO with a 9# (or heavier) trigger. I had my 10 year old boy dry fire it at the range. He couldn't pull the trigger with 2 fingers so it is safe enough for me.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Ok since i carry diff Guns ill break it down

G17/G20/Xd Sub compact One in chamber and finger off trigger of course.

1911 any style Cocked and Locked

Hk/Ruger Da First shot with Safety off Sa rest

Or Hk Cocked and locked

Wheelies well of course them are DA

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
1911 cocked and locked.

Just the way JMB designed it to be carried.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cmidkiff said:
DAO - safety is between the ears.

Round in the chamber? Of course! What good is an unloaded gun?

well sometimes my ears are the only thing up there..lol... I know what your saying though. I am leaning towards 1 in the chamber and safety on. I can hit the saftey with my thumb while drawing. And if I find myself in a BAD WAY and I don't have control over my weapon, it'll take the other person a second to figure out the safety is on. That 1 second could be worth a lifetime.

Seems most of you carry DAO saftey off. Hmm.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Carry an XDSubCompact, round in the chamber, finger off. Always carry it this way.

S&W 39 - One in the chamber, finger off.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
If 1911 type platform then yes, con' 1 - cocked and locked.

My long term carry now tho is the SIG 226 and so I am exploiting the benefits of DA/SA - round chambered, no safety - ready to rock :smile:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I carry my 1911 Condition 1; My P-01 1 in chamber, hammer at 1/2 cock (My P-01 is DA/SA) and my P3AT with 1 in the chamber also. I always carry fully loaded; My thinking - you can't guarantee that you will be physically able to chamber a round if you're in a fight.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There's a term used here several times that I'm not familiar with in the context of 'carrying'. Several have stated that they carry finger off. I'm thinking 'finger off...of course...it's in a holster'. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I am just curious as to how you carry and why you choose that.
No matter what I am carrying e.g. pistol or revolver there is one in the chamber. Part of carrying is being ready no matter what. If a BG confronts you, and you must act, do you suppose he will wait while you chamber a round?

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Rgr - unless I am forgetting something myself - I'd say this is a ref to the draw technique - where finger off trigger is the only safe way to go.

Even as gun clears leather it is briefly and usually not pointing in a safe direction for us - but as the draw proceeds toward either a retention hold or full arm extension then the trigger is aquired if needed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks P95...that's what I was thinking.

·
Registered
77 Posts
xd

i love the xd because if its holstered its safe you have to have a grip on it to fire. As an aerospace tool designer i think it is one of the safest designs out there and belive me i know how to design stuff and its easy to use if you got into a battle. no levers to flip up for a safety just grab and go holster again and its safe. i love the grip safety and the triger safety. i think its safer than a 1911 style.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
When I carry a weapon,I'm ready to shoot the weapon. Without sound,without fuss. Just a small click(actually the safety on my Kimber has been overhauled to be very quiet)then a two bangs. Why be ALMOST ready ??? ------

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.