Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it's time to do maintenance and tuning, where are you guys going to get your recoil springs?
I've talked to a rep for Wolff for recoil springs and they don't have any, and it doesn't look like they are going to make any.
I checked Brownells, and they are cliaming the the spring for the p239 & P245 are interchangable, seems too weird to me. I need to see this for myself.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Wow, hadn't thought of that. Maybe check SHOTGUN NEWS? There are all types of rare parts available there.

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
Have you called SIG? I've heard their service is pretty good.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've ordered springs directly from Sig. 220, 229, 245, and 226. Of course they aren't the cheapest but they have what I want and I get it quickly.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
HighVelocity said:
I've ordered springs directly from Sig. 220, 229, 245, and 226. Of course they aren't the cheapest but they have what I want and I get it quickly.
If I might ask, how much for a P245 spring from Sig?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HighVelocity said:
Does Sig have heavier weight recoil springs to help reduce slide-to-frame slam/batter when shooting defense or hotter loads?

Most firearm manufactures set there guns up to shoot practice/range ammo!

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
1man said:
Where did you hear that? I'd think that manufacterers like Sig, Glock, H&K especially who have large LEO contracts wouldn't be doing that...in fact, these and in fact all the major manufacturers who market any of their products to the public for self defense would be crazy and setting themselves up for the mother of all lawsuits to do as you suggest. OTOH you mention "hotter loads" separately from "defense loads" so something you do specifically might harm the gun like a hot reload. That would also void the warranty and relieve the manufacturer from liability. But still. Any of you other folks hear this?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

This is MY 2cents(not facts, not something I've read anywhere)!

I made this statement because I've shot alot of defense loads(cases, not a box here and there) from every big ammo company, and I feel that heavier recoil springs need to replace the standard spring in most pistols. Everytime I shoot defense loads without stepping up the spring weight it feels like the loads are battering the gun.

I don't shoot handloads unless I know who pressed them!

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I doubt the factory springs from any manufacturer are made for light/target loads. they are most likely set up to cycle heavy and light loads ., thru a spectrum of diffrent bullet weights, powders and manufacturers diffrences.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Everybody is entitled to theirs...

1man said:

I don't shoot handloads unless I know who pressed them!
Okay so this is YOUR opinion...to which you are perfectly entitled. I simply disagree...completely. But that's okay! :yup: You just scared me a tad...:confused:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AKsrule said:
The P220 CARRY model should use the same spring , right?

Ah ! the Manual only lists /shows one spring for the
220 , 239 , and 245 - maybe they are the same?

http://www.sauer-waffen.de/fileadmin/editor/download_data/ss_ga/Classic_P220_P239_P245/P220_P239_P245_manual_GB.pdf
Here's Brownells parts list for the P245; http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/schematics/schemmfg.aspx?schemid=837&m=25&mn=SIGARMS%c2%ae&model=P245+

The recoil spring details; http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=21973&title=Recoil+Spring&s=47552#47552

I don't know. I'm going to take a close look at the recoil systems on all 3 of them(245,239 & 220).

·
Registered
940 Posts
1man said:

I'd suggest calling Sig directly and asking.

That said, as a Sig dealer, I can tell you that the guns were generally originally designed to fire Euro-spec 9mm and similar rounds - which are the equivalent in real terms to our +P loadings.

My 226s, 239, 1911, etc. from Sig don't care what I feed them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts