Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking all over the internet for pre-made Andrews Leather gear, Sam makes some of if not the best stuff in the business but I've heard the waiting time is awful and he mentioned he has a few dealers out there when I talked to him, but I haven't been able to find any of them. I should have asked. Apparently he doesn't normally keep stuff on hand since he struggles just to keep up with orders, but he also said that it may change in the next few months. Personally I'd love it if he made some of his most popular designs and configurations available on say, eBay. Apparently he has a son who does this stuff too and Sam claims his work is on par with his own, maybe he should be the one to do that if Sam's too busy. Anyone agree?

That all aside, anyone know where I might find stuff that's already made?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Welcome to DC from Central Ohio! :wave:
welcomemat9 (Small).jpg

If you'd consider "pre-owned", some of us on here have large holster drawers/boxes/crates, etc. and, might be persuaded to part with some of the contents...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to DC from Central Ohio! :wave:
View attachment 142769

If you'd consider "pre-owned", some of us on here have large holster drawers/boxes/crates, etc. and, might be persuaded to part with some of the contents...:rolleyes:
Thanks! Kind of you but I'm really hoping for new, for now at least.

What do you guys think about the pre-made idea? Think people would buy Sam's stuff like that, or maybe even if his son made it? He's already been considering it, I may suggest the idea to him and tell him I asked around about it for opinions

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Well, speaking as a maker if you don't have time to get the stuff that's ordered out you don't have time to pre make stuff. When it slows down I do it sometimes. When it's busy I don't bother.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Order, you won't regret it. Buy something premade to tide you over. The man just makes some beautiful holsters. There are plenty of other makers though that do beautiful work as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to go ahead and order my rig, a Monarch for a 1911 with the triple mag pouch. Also, when I talked with him this morning I got some good news, turns out his son is in college and needs all the money he can get so he's going to start making and selling his own stuff, listing it on eBay (for sale, not auction). He makes both his dad's designs and a few he came up with, and he charges less than Sam. But he'll only be covering popular designs and configurations, and some basic accessories. For the less common or more custom stuff you'll have to go to Sam. Spread the word to anyone who's looking for some of their gear and hates the waiting time :p

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have been buying holsters from Sam for about 20 years and the wait is always worth it. I have a couple of Monarchs, three saddle style holsters, and 8 of his McDaniel's and two of his pocket holsters. If you have not seen his work go to his web site and have a look at his exotic skin holsters, they are wearable art.Andrews Leather Catalog

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correction, Sam's son will be offering his own designs. Some variations on Sam's, as well as some all-new ones. I guess to keep from taking his family's bread and butter lol

·
Banned
131 Posts
I've yet to meet the owner of a custom holster who did not hesitate to tell me that the professional who had crafted his holster is the best.

Know what you want. Spending extra $$$ does not equate to a better holster. I own a custom holster. I haven't had a gun in it for about 30 years. While it's a good holster, it's not better than a Galco.

Know the intent of your holster. Holsters don't play dual roles very well. Buy one for your intended purpose. You might not need to go with a custom holster.

I look for quality materials (leather) including stitching. Reputation is important. Retention is most important. A holster with a snap is not retention.

Hold a lesser quality holster and then a good quality holster. You'll be able to tell the difference.

The most important role of a holster is to securely hold your gun. If your gun falls out of a holster, well, good luck.

I own Safariland, Gordon Davis (custom for duty use), Aker, and mostly Galco among others. Galco and Aker are the best. Of my extensive holster collection, I use only 2, maybe 3.

Suede lined holsters are not important to me. They might be to others, but they're not to me.

This is as important as a holster you select: buy an authentic gun belt. It should be .25" thick and 1.5" wide. It will make carrying even a 1911A1 a whole lot easier.

Read this thread: Holster Lessons Learned Expensively

There are two professionals who've contributed to this thread.

Please remember that spending a lot of money does not equate to a better holster.

I sincerely hopes this helps you. If it doesn't please disregard. I won't mind. My intent is to help you and to help you save money if possible.

·
Premium Member
2,754 Posts
I have purchased holsters from Sam on many occasions. If you want to ask a question, call him. Just be prepared to be on the phone for 30 minutes. The man wants to make sure that you are a happy customer. In order to make you happy, he will ask questions that you never thought of.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have purchased holsters from Sam on many occasions. If you want to ask a question, call him. Just be prepared to be on the phone for 30 minutes. The man wants to make sure that you are a happy customer. In order to make you happy, he will ask questions that you never thought of.
I can attest to this. He's very thorough and passionate about his work.

·
Banned
131 Posts
Hi Spartan,

That is one the most frustrating aspects of going custom: extended wait. And the more professional the professional, the longer that wait.

I've had excellent luck with Galco. But that's my experience. Joe Shooter might say the same about Bianchi. Holsters are like handguns: if a guy buys XYZ Custom, he'll swear that it has the rest of the alphabet beat all to heck.

Here's what I've learned from a custom holster: custom does not necessarily imply superior holster. I cannot honestly say that my one and only custom holster (from a very reputable professional) is any better than a Galco.

Some advice that I hope will spare you expenses I've squandered: know what you want before you part with you $$$. Don't let a salesman talk you in to something that won't work for you. Do not allow another's opinion influence your choice. Your holster will be for your needs, not for another's needs. What works for Joe Gun might be all wrong for you. More expensive does not always equate to better quality. Holsters don't play dual roles very well. Buy a holster for one specific application. A snap on a holster is not retention. Assure that a holster you buy won't drop your gun while you're upside down on a roller coaster. Every holster will print. A gust of wind will blow your shirt against your holster.

While I'm sure that Andrews makes excellent holsters -I've never heard of Andrews- you might want to examine holsters of other professionals before you decide.

I hope this helps. If I can help fellow shooters save money that I've squandered, I'll try.

I probably could write a book on gun stuff I've bought that I don't use. And there ain't much a resale market for gun stuff we buy that we don't need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts