Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked a the laws in New Hampshire and the only place that I can find that I cannot carry concealed is a courthouse or any building involving a court activity. Is there any other places that I am not allowed to carry if is not posted? I know I have seen where you cannot carry at schools but cannot find anything under NH state laws. Is there a federal law that trumps the state law?

Any info on this would be appreciated. I am not sure if I just have not looked in the right places to find this out.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Here you go... an excellent resource for all states.

Handgunlaw.us

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here you go... an excellent resource for all states.

Handgunlaw.us
So if I am reading this correctly no state allows carry in schools or post offices either because it is a federal law. Those 2 places are the only ones that really apply to me so those are the ones I am most concerned about the laws regarding those 2 places.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I would not try carrying in any federal building or having a gun on the grounds of same - unless you are into free room and board.

·
Registered
759 Posts
So if I am reading this correctly no state allows carry in schools or post offices either because it is a federal law. Those 2 places are the only ones that really apply to me so those are the ones I am most concerned about the laws regarding those 2 places.
It is a federal law concerning firearms in public schools. However, some states are doing away with it and are allowing staff to carry. I have absolutely NO idea how this deals with Federal law, though.

The only federal building I would ever go in is a post office and I read it as even the parking lots are off limits at those
The "Post Office parking lot" is always a hot topic of controversy.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right now I do not CC on a daily basis but I am considering doing it more regularly and maybe even on a daily basis and the problem I have is I bring my son to a private school in Vermont almost every day. What would I have to do? Stop before I pull in the driveway of the school and lock my gun in a safe in the vehicle and then unlock and reholster after I drop him off?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a federal law concerning firearms in public schools. However, some states are doing away with it and are allowing staff to carry. I have absolutely NO idea how this deals with Federal law, though.

The "Post Office parking lot" is always a hot topic of controversy.
My wife usually goes to the post office so I only have to go about 6 times a year so that does not bother me all that much. But as I say that she has a CCL as well and carries when she walks. So that means she can't combine a trip to the post office to get the mail with her walk?

I read about how a lot of the people of the forum strap the gun on when they get dressed in the morning and don't take it off until they go to bed. I take it these members that do that never have to go to a school or post office.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right now I do not CC on a daily basis but I am considering doing it more regularly and maybe even on a daily basis and the problem I have is I bring my son to a private school in Vermont almost every day. What would I have to do? Stop before I pull in the driveway of the school and lock my gun in a safe in the vehicle and then unlock and reholster after I drop him off?
It looks like I can answer my question on schools in Vermont. According to VT law only buildings and vehicles are off limits. Grounds do not count so dropping him off is not an issue.

According to the VT law if I had to go into the school locking it in the vehicle would be acceptable. Is this true or would I be wrong on this?

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Do you simply "drop him off" or walk him into the building. You need to examine that part of being legal. I don't know VT law.

·
Registered
934 Posts
schools are not off limits in NH you are exempt from the federal prohibition if you are licensed by the state the school is in..and not to mention the gun free school zone has already been ruled unconstitutional once on the federal level

·
Registered
941 Posts
schools are not off limits in NH you are exempt from the federal prohibition if you are licensed by the state the school is in..and not to mention the gun free school zone has already been ruled unconstitutional once on the federal level
Be careful about taking this advice. This is arguable due to the way licenses are issued in NH. Just have lots of cash for your lawyer if you want to argue it. IANAL, but I've consulted one, and she made sure to emphasize what she says at the top of page 8 here.

http://gonh.org/uploads/images/65/FAQ_3-19-10-7-27-10.pdf

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
LEO are not lawyers...

MOST states have laws prohibiting carry on school grounds even for CCW permit holders, some make certain exceptions (for example in KY in your vehicle is legal even without a CCDW permit but on the grounds etc. you have to have permission from the BOE - good luck with that) which is Why there have been so many school mass shootings, the BG know they won't be fired back on and killed (by the time the LEO show up they off themselves)

As for the Fed GFSZA when was the last time a fed was around a school before some big shooting? The local and state LEO are likely to be there AND enforce state law,(so be SURE YOU KNOW State LAW on that) after the last SCOTUS ruling on GFSZA not likely the feds would "run with it" at any rate unless you are suspected of a mass shooting and then I'd guess you have much worse problems

As for PO parking lots, the best advice IMO is to not park on their lots at all, leave weapon locked in vehicle if you MUST do business with the USPS , maybe IF enough of us stop doing business with them and let them know Why we refuse they will pull their head out of their backsides on what is stupid to begin with- but Fed Gov = not likely LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.