Defensive Carry banner

Have you or someone you have been with experienced a negligent discharge? Where?

• No, I have never experienced or been near a negligent discharge.

Votes: 51 46.4%
  • Yes, a negligent discharge took place in my home.

Votes: 22 20.0%
  • Yes, a negligent discharge happened in a vehicle I was in.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Yes, a negligent discharge took place on personal property while I was present.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Yes, a negligent discharge took place at a public shooting range while I was present.

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Yes, a negligent discharge took place at a private shooting range when I was present.

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Yes, a negligent discharge took place in a police station when I was present.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Yes, a negligent discharge took place in a public/private building (not LE) when I was present.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Yes, I was present during a negligent discharge at a venue not listed above.

Votes: 8 7.3%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have been around shooting and firearms training enough, you've probably been witness to a negligent discharge at some point. I've seen it happen twice, both times in training scenarios. One individual was a LEO who was training with my wife as her partner, and managed to have an ND while re-holstering. The other circumstance was during an AR class, while one individual was making his weapon "safe" in a safe handling area. Neither of these people were inexperienced in weapon's handling and fortunately, nobody was injured in either circumstances (although a few of us had to wash out our underwear).

Over the years I have been involved with this forum, several individuals have been forthcoming about their personal mistakes. I know it can happen to anyone, but I am curious as to where this most frequently takes place. So, I ask, have you or someone who has been in your immediate vicinity experienced a negligent discharge, and if so, where?

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Had a "friend" about 40 years ago drop his Taurus .38 revolver on a hardwood floor in my Mom's duplex home and it went off. Shot through the hardwood floor into the bedroom below. Needless to say the neighbor below wasn't too pleased. But he was a US Customs Border Agent and actually had a ND the week before in his truck.(shot a hole in the windshield) But the hardwood floor took 90% of the power out of the bullet. It hit a bed and didn't even put a hole in the bed cover.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going to select "where firearms are present" but that wasn't one of the choices
I was waiting for someone to interject a comment like that! :smile:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mine was in my back yard, years ago.. I shoot there all the time. Had bought a new pistol and was trying it out. The trigger reset was different from my other pistols. Took a couple shots, Pulled the trigger again...nothing...Thought I had a misfire. I hadn't let the trigger out far enough to reset (musta had it right at the reset point).. Stupidly, I pulled the trigger again...Shot went off in a safe direction but aimed at about 30 degrees up... Scared the crap outta me. I think that was the day I decided to get some formal training...I'm much older and more careful now..

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think a better poll would be not 'where' but 'how/why' or 'while doing what', such as cleaning, reholstering, showing a friend, playing around, thinking it wasn't loaded. FWIW.
Good suggestion! Maybe next?

Reactions: dangerranger

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Hog hunting in S Tx. I loaned my lever action rifle to a friend for an afternoon hunt thru thick brush country and he negligently discharged the first round when he racked the lever just after getting out of the jeep. Fortunately he had the rifle pointed at the ground. We grilled him pretty hard.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Both times I have had an AD or ND have been on a range. The first was on a range and I was trying out a rifle with a set trigger. I set the trigger and the guy said that it would be really light after that. I was just pulling the rifle down on to the target and as soon as my finger made contact with the trigger the rifle fired. the bullet ended up in the berm about 18" above the target. The other I had made a trigger adjustment, and when I let the safety off it fired. I had tested it dry but had not tested it with the safety. This bullet too hit within 2 feet of the target.

I have been out hunting with two people who have had AD's or ND's. One was walking through an open field with his rifle slung over his shoulder and his fired straight up. His hand was on the lower stock where the sling attaches, so I don't know what if anything contacted the trigger. He carried it with an empty chamber for the rest of the weekend, and it went to the smith when we got home. I don't know what the smith found.
The other was my middle son, we were on a coyote stand, He had the rifle braced and had both hands near the trigger. When he let the safety off he had his finger on the trigger! He missed the coyote by about 4 feet! That's when he was 12. He's 38 now, and I don't think its happened to him since.

None of these incidents caused any damage or injuries because if you are following the 4 rules you would have to be breaking more than one to hurt someone! DR

·
Registered
63 Posts
I never had a ND (knock on wood) and I been handling guns since I was 9 and I am 54. But I seen 2 in my life time, one at a outdoor range where someone was bragging how good he was and ND and shot a hole in the owners of the outdoor range windshield of his brand new truck, The other beleave it or not a few years later at the same range a another person was showing off his quick draw and blew a .45 caliber hole thru his foot. After that one I quit going to public ranges.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mine was in my back yard, years ago.. I shoot there all the time. Had bought a new pistol and was trying it out. The trigger reset was different from my other pistols. Took a couple shots, Pulled the trigger again...nothing...Thought I had a misfire. I hadn't let the trigger out far enough to reset (musta had it right at the reset point).. Stupidly, I pulled the trigger again...Shot went off in a safe direction but aimed at about 30 degrees up... Scared the crap outta me. I think that was the day I decided to get some formal training...I'm much older and more careful now..
I did the same thing. Fortunately, it was pointed down range. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Mine happened in my home office. I was about to do some dry fire practice with our SR22 so I dropped the magazine, and was out to clear the chamber when I got distracted and had to leave the room. When I returned, I thought I had already cleared the chamber, so I inserted an empty agazine to defeat the mag safety. Brought the gun up, and took aim at a fake stump in the fish tank in front of me.....

The next thing I knew, there was water everywhere and the lights went out. I had shot out our 5 gallon tank, which dumped its contents all over the floor, as well as the power strip the lamp and TV were plugged into. Luckily the round never left the tank, and I was the only one home. It took me an hour to clean up the mess in the floor, and over a week to regain my sanity enough to get a good nights sleep.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mine happened in my home office. I was about to do some dry fire practice with our SR22 so I dropped the magazine, and was out to clear the chamber when I got distracted and had to leave the room. When I returned, I thought I had already cleared the chamber, so I inserted an empty agazine to defeat the mag safety. Brought the gun up, and took aim at a fake stump in the fish tank in front of me.....

The next thing I knew, there was water everywhere and the lights went out. I had shot out our 5 gallon tank, which dumped its contents all over the floor, as well as the power strip the lamp and TV were plugged into. Luckily the round never left the tank, and I was the only one home. It took me an hour to clean up the mess in the floor, and over a week to regain my sanity enough to get a good nights sleep.
And what did ya tell the wife happened? :image035:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Strange, the topic question asks where to NDs occur. They occur at the personal level. With the operator.
But the poll asks have you ever experienced an ND. For me, that's a no.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
And what did ya tell the wife happened? :image035:
That the tank must have had a crack in the glass. At that point she was still very nervous about having guns in the house. Had I told her what happened, she likely would have wanted to sell them all and never let another gun in the house.

Reactions: jumperj

·
Registered
681 Posts
1. Basic training. A private let rip on full auto. I thought we were all going to die. Then it was over and all of the drill seargents came running from everywhere and again I thought we were all going to die. I have never before or since seen as much ass chewing as there was to follow for the next few days.

2. I watched a drunk buddy grab his 30.30 off a wall rack and fire a hole in his duplex wall right into his neighbors living room. Thank God, no one was home.

3. I wasn't there but I showed up right after a good old ******* boy blew a hole in his tranny with a 30.06.

4. Not a ND but we had a Lieutenant clear the wrong range and then send fire on a dud detail. No one was hit but a 1/4 ton took a round. Not sure what happened to that Lieutenant after that.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Mine happened while hunting. Cold, rainy weather. Trying to cock an old single shot shotgun and my thumb slipped off the hammer.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Was he promoted?

Had a "friend" about 40 years ago drop his Taurus .38 revolver on a hardwood floor in my Mom's duplex home and it went off. Shot through the hardwood floor into the bedroom below. Needless to say the neighbor below wasn't too pleased. But he was a US Customs Border Agent and actually had a ND the week before in his truck.(shot a hole in the windshield) But the hardwood floor took 90% of the power out of the bullet. It hit a bed and didn't even put a hole in the bed cover.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts