• Other

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to carry my wallet in my right rear pocket for years, but I stopped doing that when I started carrying a firearm. There were a couple of reasons for this. Initially, it was because our first firearms instructor suggested that reaching back to pull a wallet from behind you might be misconstrued if you were stopped by a peace officer and asked to produce identification. He suggested carrying my wallet in a cargo pocket in the front, which I thought was not a bad idea. I also found that not sitting on a wallet on a long drive was more comfortable than having one in a rear pocket.

More recently I have switched from carrying my wallet on the same side (primary/strong side) as my firearm to carrying it on my support side cargo pocket. My cell phone is in my primary side cargo pocket, my wallet in my support side cargo pocket, and my pistol may be AIWB or primary side slant pocket. My rationale here is that it might give me a slight opportunity to draw if confronted by a bad guy. Obviously, this is not the answer in all circumstances, but I think it might give you a moment of distraction in some situations.

I know that some people have a "throw-down" money clip that they carry with a small amount of cash that they carry to distract a bad guy. That's not a bad strategy, in my humble opinion, but I only know one person who does that.

I'm interested in hearing from others if the location of your wallet on your person plays into your self defense strategy.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Left front pocket for me for quite a while now. I use a small bi-fold recycled firefighter about the dimensions of a credit card. I usually have a quick strip for my 642 and a clip on knife in the right front pocket.
Everything else including spare mag(s) has migrated to the belt. Leatherman, Streamlight, Ka-Bar TDI, Another quick strip in a belt pouch right side if I am carrying the revolver. Sometimes a speedloader on the right side as well when I carry AIWB. Reaching for a back pocket wallet while armed did seem like a bad idea.
My wife gives me grief about my "Bat belt" though.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
For reasons mentioned above by others, for decades I would switch from right rear to left rear annually.
When in a crowded place with an increased chance of a pickpocket it moved to a front pocket.
Now, I primarily wear cargo pants and the wallet is in left cargo pocket. Easier in the car at the drive-thru.
Plus, now that I carry, it's on the opposite side from my weapon should a LEO ask for my ID (hasn't happened. I pay as much attention to traffic laws as firearm laws). If wearing Wranglers it's left rear pocket.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,957 Posts
Same here. Minimalist wallet that contains, and can only contain, about 6-8 cards/DL/permit in total. Left front pocket along with a money clip that sadly, is never overloaded, and a reload. When I pocket carry, and that’s often, that’s in the right front pocket with nothing else but a holster. Left rear open for phone carry, right rear is for bandana and knife. Never leave home without a clean handkerchief or bandana (for those of us in that generation). The young dudes that I work with are fairly certain that I carry a piece of cloth in my pocket with snot and mucus all over it. Not at all true. Among other things, I clean my glasses with the bandana. They’re good for many many things but they’re compromised if snot laden.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Back pocket support side , there is no reason as to why other it's the side I chose when I started to carry a wallet.

Being married my wallet hasn't had money in it ever :wink:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've had my wallet in my right rear pocket for as long as I can remember. I don't see any reason to change that now that I carry. If I were stopped for a traffic violation I would sit with my hands on the wheel and in sight till the officer got to my window. When he asked for my ID I would inform him that I was licensed and armed and take my cues from him after that. I sure wouldn't want to be reaching for my wallet and have him catch a glimpse of my weapon unexpectedly.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Back pocket strong side. I put the wallet in front left pocket, weak side, when traveling. I have been pick pocketed in South America before and now don't trust walking in any crowds.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Front pocket, strong side unless pocket carrying. Then the wallet is moved to front pocket weak side. I use a billfold style money clip wallet. With no extra leather to form a cash pouch, it keeps it nice and thin for the front.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Back pocket, support side, front pocket when in a crowd and when traveling, front pocket with a rubber band around it and a money belt.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I used to carry a wallet in my right rear pocket. Back problems were so bad I went to a chiropractor. I lift very heavy so I thought this was causing it, but she told me it was the wallet. She said that wallets in the rear pocket throw your posture off and she saw many patients with this same issue. Switched to front pocket (it’s a Tumi money clip) and haven’t had back issues since.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Minimalist wallet with 3 cards & ID in shirt pocket. Not a poll choice?

Reactions: JAG45

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Before I started carrying I used to carry front pocket strong side. When I started carrying, my primary day to day carry method was and is pocket carry. I had to do something else with my wallet so I moved it to strong side rear pocket. If someone demands my wallet I can use my strong side hand and produce a wallet or a gun.

·
Banned
705 Posts
My wallet has a key ring attached to it. I haven't been pulled over in 10 years but if I am my documentation is in my hand as soon as I pull my keys out of my ignition.

I carry it in my right cargo pocket because my left cargo pocket actually has a designated phone pocket built in. Also sitting on a wallet will mess with your spine.

As far as money goes I've had the same dollar bill in my wallet since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Pretty much wherever I go outside the house. Why?

Reactions: LimaCharlie

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Rt rear, pretty much since I first started carrying one.

There have been a few occasions when I had to keep my lines crisp. Clip wallet inside pants.
Or inside left jacket pocket.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts