Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been curious where people typically do their private sale transactions? Do you have them come to your house? Do they come to yours? Do you meet in a public place? I've always thought a public place (i.e. parking lots) seem to be a bad idea in my opinion due to the buyer wanting to actually handle and inspect the gun.

I apologize if this has already been covered, couldn't find it in the past threads. Mods, feel free to remove this if it has!

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Ive bought and traded or sold guns at my home, the other guys home, at the grocery store parking lot, even traded pistols once at a convience store:yup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
For the few that we've done, it's been in a public place. I was more than willing to meet them at a shooting range each time, but none wanted to. That was for a S&W Sigma 9mm, a Ruger SR9, and an AR-15 lower. The Sigma I met them at my place of employment (the guy was a sheriff's department employee with proof), the Ruger was in a sporting goods parking lot, and the lower was at a gun show, and then to a sporting goods parking lot, since we couldn't determine if private sales were okay in the gun show (got conflicting info from two different people working at the gun show).

Like Craig's List, no WAY I'd ever let someone come to my home, or vice-versa. At the very least, it would be a shooting range.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Parking lot of either the gun range or a gun store. Either causes less alarm when a gun is seen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would rather meet in a parking lot you can always get in your or their car or truck to inspect it and less chance of something going wrong with traffic in the area, lets face it you don't know what you are walking into and neither do they. JMHO

·
Super Moderator
18,498 Posts
I just don't sell firearms. I like private purchases however, either at a gun show or from an individual known to me.

·
Super Moderator
17,115 Posts
Most of my private purchases have been at gun shows with private collectors thinning out their collections.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Usually in a dimly lit smoke filled room in a "seedy" part of town.... :danceban: :wave:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
My last 3 were at...
- sellers house
- truck stop parking lot
- gun show

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
Usually in a dimly lit smoke filled room in a "seedy" part of town.... :danceban: :wave:
Yeah that's my 'story' too and I'm stickin' to it.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Not into parting with weapons, just acquiring them. I'm a big fan of private sales and anywhere with a parking lot works just fine for me.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Parking lots, public place. I am always a little more alert going in, but everytime so far I've been very comforted after meeting the individual.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
MY experiences have been:

At the person's home
Public parking lot at a gun store
Police captain's vehicle.

God Bless :smile:

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
...most unusual one was at a bank...in the president's office...by the window...buying one from him...on a loan from his bank...

...we had a case where a guy placed an ad in the local classifieds to sell two high dollar pistols...one was a Python...a guy called, came by the house at a pre-set time...and, with the homeowner's wife and kids there, sat down in the living room, inspected the guns, pulled out a speedloader for the Python, loaded it, and was gone with both guns...never did get caught...that woke me up...and in over 40 years, I've never sold/bought without at least one loaded gun on me...it's a real danger...I'd favor having an armed friend with you if you have one you can trust to watch your back...

·
Registered
787 Posts
Public parking lot for me. I can't stand someone coming to my house I don't know and I get the willies going to a stranger's home turf too. As far as looking the gun over, I drive a large van so he had room to check it out with the van doors giving us some privacy. I admit it felt kind of weird ('psst buddy, lemme show you some merchandise' lol) but I only spoke to CC holders and he had to show me his license as soon as he pulled up. Not fail safe I know, but made me feel better for my own personal safety as well as who I was selling a firearm to.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Your question is a valid one. With the proliferation of Armslist types of sales, one has to be mindful. Even more so as potential buyers seem to be getting a bit desperate. With a mix of firearms and cash in play it's best to be prudent. Per NC Bullseye and Snub44, I would subscribe to LGC or range parking lot with perhaps a sidekick buddy and certainly a sidekick on your person. When dealing with strangers, I'm not going to their place and they are certainly not coming to mine.

The owner of my LGC is a pretty good guy. At minimum, I'd ask him to peek out the window if he heard a shot so that he could get the plate number as the guy sped away. Maybe call 911 for me or something.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
If it's someone I don't know well: Local gun range, parking lot of my LGS or the parking lot of my local Police Department/SO (letting the PD know in advance, of course). In all cases I'm armed and not alone. If I'm buying I require the serial number(s) BEFORE we meet... if I'm selling, the buyer must show me a valid Maine concealed carry permit... Not negotiable!

If it's someone I know well... my place, their place, but usually at the range so the fun can begin without delay!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts