Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you keep your ammo? By that I mean how many places do you spread some spare ammo for availability? I keep mine at home of course but have recently considered a 100or so rounds in my truck, more at my office desk, tool box in the shop, and travel trailer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Most of my ammo is in the gun safe, but I do have around 50 range ammo rounds of 9mm and .40 cal in the garage tool box in a locked drawer.

Dunno why I put it there really, it was just convenient the day I came home with the 50 round boxes from Walmart.

Later I thought, well, not a bad idea to have some rounds there in case of the worst.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
The majority of my ammo is in my safe...I have a few hundred rounds in a locked box in the garage ready to go, if need be...

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I got about 1200 rounds of 308 in the garage and my SD pistol rounds in my reloading room,range ammo is made as I need it,with enough components for about 50,000 rounds

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Here and there in surplus ammo cans. Whatever we are going to use for Steel Challenge or IPSC once or twice a month are on a shelf in the closet in original boxes. That way I can see how much we have, and how much is needed. We buy ammo on a weekly basis. Only guns, parts, and magazines go in my gun safe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gun safe, ammo cans in a couple of different rooms and then some (only a couple hundred rounds) in a drawer in the bedroom.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
In two safes...:image035:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have some plastic dry boxes and I separate large bore stuff by purpose (range or SD) and caliber.

.380 and 9mm I keep together but separate range ammo from SD and .22 ammo is all kept together.

For shotguns I keep slugs, buckshot and birdshot separate but not the point where #7 shot is in a different place than say #4 shot.

I only have 1 rifle so it's all kept together.

Physical location is like most others, here and there. I pray that if my house ever catches fire I am not in the bed sleeping because if the smoke or fire don't get me the cooked off rounds sure might!:blink:

I don't store anything outdoors (camper, out building, garage etc.) out of concern that it may draw damp. I always travel with my go bag and in there I have a couple hundred rounds of the caliber I am carrying at the time unless I am headed to the store and just have my P232 with me and then I am pretty much hosed.

Be Safe,

NosaM

·
Registered
199 Posts
All on a shelf in my closet. But after reading this post, I think I'll start organizing it and probably get some surplus ammo cans to help in that.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
MOst of it is stored in my sheds. Some is in the garage. The stuff I use for my EDC is in the bedroom drawer or in the spare mags.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Majority in ammo cans on the master bedroom closet shelves, some in the bedroom nightstands.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
a consideration on where and how you store the ammo is a fire. the fire department needs to know if there is live ammo stored in the house, where it is and whether it is in metal containers where it can do the least harm. nobody is going to be in a big hurry to rush into a burning room with 3000 rounds of live ammo on shelves in a closet unprotected.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Most of mine is in ammo cans. I keep two speed strips in my truck for my .38 special, and when traveling carry and extra 50 rounds of .40 for my auto.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I keep virtually all of mine in the top shelf of the closet. I do carry a box of .380, .38, and .40 in a bag with me along with my cleaning kit in case someone wants to waste a little lead after work.

·
Registered
169 Posts
In the closet, under the bed and on the gun safe is where the majority is. I have 5 rounds for my J-Frame in my car glove box and 5 in my office desk.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My ammo is in a pile in the corner of our bedroom next to my side of the bed. When I had ordered a brick of .223 ammo I put it there, and have been piling it there since. Don't yet have a safe in my apartment, as the small 8-gun safe I bought a while ago is still at my moms house. The safe is too small and wouldn't hold all of my ammo anyhow.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I put as much as I could in my gun safe, the rest is in a closet & several guns hidden throughout the house......

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Mostly in ammo cans through-out the house and in the safe... mostly...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ammo? What ammo?
:rofl:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
a consideration on where and how you store the ammo is a fire. the fire department needs to know if there is live ammo stored in the house, where it is and whether it is in metal containers where it can do the least harm. nobody is going to be in a big hurry to rush into a burning room with 3000 rounds of live ammo on shelves in a closet unprotected.
The only real danger from live ammo in a fire is when the cases rupture, the escaping gas will blow burning embers around.

Rounds in a fire do not cook off and spray bullets around. This has been proven time and time again, the most recently by MythBusters. In most cases, the bullets never even leave the case mouth - the cases rupture first.

To answer the original question, there is some ammo in my safe, but the rest of it is in two dedicated, locked, ammo cabinets in the same location as the safe. I don't keep ammo in the garage, in my vehicle, in ammo cans under the bench or any such. No criticism of those that do, however.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts