Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I I flip open my "Duo Fold" wallet to show my Drivers license for something right above it is my CCW license for all to see.
Is that a good or bad idea?

What are your opinions please

Thank you in advance.

Sled

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Most people don't even know what it is unless they have a CCW themselves so it really doesn't matter. If they have enough time to stop and read what it is then they better be a friend because they are being WAY to nosy. Either that or they are seriously invading your personal space and you have every right to say, "Excuse me."

I just put my CCW behind my Driver's License so that if I have to give it to an LEO I can grab them both at the same time.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
how many people do you hold your wallet open for?...do you want the cashier at walmart to know you are carrying a gun concealed?...i cant think of a good reason to display the license unless you are required to....

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
how many people do you hold your wallet open for?...do you want the cashier at walmart to know you are carrying a gun concealed?...i cant think of a good reason to display the license unless you are required to....
Assuming, of course, that the WalMart attendant even knows what a CCW permit looks like and what it is and just because you are carrying a permit does not necessarily mean you are currently carrying a gun.

Currently there are two different CCW permits in my wallet and I am not carrying a gun at this moment. The presence of a permit does not verify the presence of a gun.

I have actually used my permit for photo identification when I misplaced my DL and the official looking at it had to stare and read it for three minutes before it dawned on them that it was a permit to carry a concealed firearm. They didn't ask if I was currently armed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have to agree with Limatunes...most :sheep: wont know what it is anyway. Seems its as good a way to carry your ID as any other. A LEO is going to ask you to take your ID out anyway, so it does not help there if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Assuming, of course, that the WalMart attendant even knows what a CCW permit looks like and what it is and just because you are carrying a permit does not necessarily mean you are currently carrying a gun.

Currently there are two different CCW permits in my wallet and I am not carrying a gun at this moment. The presence of a permit does not verify the presence of a gun.

I have actually used my permit for photo identification when I misplaced my DL and the official looking at it had to stare and read it for three minutes before it dawned on them that it was a permit to carry a concealed firearm. They didn't ask if I was currently armed.
i think that is obvious...my actual point is why display it regardless of who knows what it is or not...you dont display your gun and should not advertise that you "may" be carrying one either...a valid form of id?...sure...but it wouldnt be the first thing you would show someone i'm sure....

maybe it would be helpful if you knew that in florida our license boldly states across the top..."concealed weapon or firearm license"...the checkout person at walmart wouldnt have to strain to figure that one out...and i'm sure the dmv would pick up on it in less than 3 minutes...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Two places; the original is behind my driver's license, and a copy is in the security pocket of my SmartCarry holster.

Bobo

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
In my 'ultra thin' leather money clip along with my DL and 4 other pieces of info...that's it...and some $$ of course.:image035:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Right behind my DL, an ID always comes out of the wallet when asked for. I never show them my whole wallet with pictures of kids, other certs/licenses in it, and financial info.
How often do you actually get asked for ID outside of a traffic stop? I've only been asked once in the last few months at WW.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I carry my CCL in my Badge wallet, and my DL in another wallet. I try not to 'flash' my badge around.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I keep mine in one of the 3 Credit Card slots, but it is turned upside down. The first time I put it in there, I noticed that the only part showing was a blue bar that said Concealed Weapon or Firearm Permit and I decided that I don't need any questions about that. By turning it upside down, it is just a white card with a little bit of innocuous upside down writing.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Wow, charmed life?

Right behind my DL, an ID always comes out of the wallet when asked for. I never show them my whole wallet with pictures of kids, other certs/licenses in it, and financial info.
How often do you actually get asked for ID outside of a traffic stop? I've only been asked once in the last few months at WW.
Wow, everyone these days seems to want ID for something or other. I'm surprised you aren't being asked more frequently. They change tellers and staff at my bank so frequently, I need ID there about once in 6 weeks.

Anyway, I keep the CHL behind the DL. I use a separate state issued ID for the other nosy folks, and try to reserve DL and CHL ONLY for state officials of the LE kind.

Whenever possible I will try to get away with using a SAMS card for a photo ID. And then, usually after lecturing someone on why they don't need, and shouldn't have the ID they are requesting (often improperly requested for a CC transaction).

Docs and medical facilities are among the worst offenders when it comes to seeking ID. They are afraid of insurance identity theft, can't blame them, but like when they have done business with you for 15 years, asking for a photo ID gets a bit ridiculous. And I don't trust the computer security in these tiny medical businesses ---they have 19 yo kids doing the IT, who are able to get all the personal stuff they collect.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I keep mine in the inner closed compartments of my wallet that can't be see unless I remove it. About the only time I remove it is to add another gun to it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
behind DL upside down.
Years ago when I got my CCW at 21 I was carded and thy caught a glimpse of my CCW and asked to see it because they thought the one I handed to them was a fake id and the one I didnt give them might have been my real ID....

Now I rarely get carded except WW for stupid things like spray paint... come on you need to look 80 before they will not card for odd things. oh well.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
:thinking: If one was so worried about people seeing a card in their wallet, why not just turn it around so the front is not visible?
Speaking for myself I'm not worried about people seeing it. I keep it where it is less likely to fall out and get lost.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts