Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s a good article that explains the basics of the ammo shortage. It isn’t large new military or police contracts, it’s simple economics:
“When people are motivated by external political exigencies to purchase more ammunition than they customarily purchase, there is less ammunition for others.”
Where Has All the Ammo Gone? | Active Response Training

I have some anecdotal evidence of what is going on here. A friend called me from the parking lot of a gun store in Southwest Virginia, “Mark, I just scored 5,000 rounds of Federal .22 Long Rifle!” I cut his euphoria short by saying, “Tim, you have never bought more than 500 rounds of anything before.” To which he replied, “Yeah, but I bought all they had.” I believe Tim’s “score” is being replicated all across the country every time the UPS truck arrives.
Where Has All The Ammo Gone? Lemur For Trade

Reactions: 84160 and Fisher10

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
To the tune of Van Halen's "Where have all the good times gone?"

:thrasher:

Won't you tell me...
Where has all the ammo gone?
All my life I never considered reloading
Now this ammo shortage changed everything
Won't you tell me....
Mommie needs 9mm for her little playthings
Daddy needs 45 for his bigger things
Won't you tell me....

:danceban:

:sorry:

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Registered
787 Posts
Or: "Gone to grave yards every one" Peter Paul & Mary

·
Registered
210 Posts
What's so funny is these guys think that they and their 5-10000 rounds of pistol ammo is some how going to stave off the jack booted government lackeys, they feel they are defending against. GOT NEWS FOR YA, YOU'D BE JUST A SPEED BUMP ! Not stop them, perhaps not even slow them down..

That's why we can't allow it to get to that point. :mad:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I suspect a lot of it is being bought up and resold at the gun shows for double or triple the price.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Problem is, it isn't just ammo! You can't even get reloading supplies or equipment, either! I've had a set of .223 dies on backorder since December, with no idea when they'll become available. And the prices of the stuff you can find is unreal!:frown:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I thought all the panic buyers/ hoarders bought enough ammo back in 99', then in 08' and 09' then finally in 12' to keep em out of the Walmarts for the rest of time.

·
Banned
192 Posts
I found a little 9mm today.It was Tul ammo.They also had Tul ammo(223's) for 9.00 a box.I bought some of the 223's but i've never shot any Tul in my rifle.Over all it's the same here.It's either not here,or expensive if you find any.

·
Banned
192 Posts
Doc's in Florence.The 500 rds,of 556's he had in an ammo box,i can't say for sure,how much it was.It was to much for me,that i know.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Now that I am retired as of middle of March, I have more time to reload from my stash of components bought over the last 18 years in steady weekly batches and get to the range during the week as I have no more conference calls to be on or anymore deadlines to meet! Win-Win for me. There are lots of folks that could not see what was happening in the last 5 years that are dry in the ammo and reloading category. What was out there in the last 6 months got spread amongst the many thousands of new gun owners who missed mortgage payments and car payments just to buy out the store.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Most shops and stores have started to limit the # of boxes to 2 or 3 when you buy at least it will give us a chance when it gets on the shelves. And not let 1 guy buy everything on the shelve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts