Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired my ccp in Texas. I am the new guy, not much experience, super cautious.

Have not exercised my right to carry yet but I am now going to be traveling in an area of the state that I think it would be exceptionally wise to carry.
The travel is for business. Out of the pickup for brief periods then back on the road. Near the border.

Where can I look to see suggestions on where to carry, while underway? Ie once on the road, I don't want it on my person, I want to put it somewhere instantly accessible in the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
If you have a console, that would be my suggestion... remember, the gun must be concealed from view at all times...

If you need to store your gun in your truck, I would recommend a COM safe..

COM safes

·
Registered
991 Posts
...I am now going to be traveling in an area of the state that I think it would be exceptionally wise to carry...
The first sentence out of my CHP instructor's mouth was "If you're going to an area where you think you should be armed, DON'T GO!"

I understand that this is for your job & that jobs are hard to come by.

If you have a concealed carry permit at this time, why aren't you carrying all the time; you never know if today will be the day.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I recently acquired my ccp in Texas. I am the new guy, not much experience, super cautious.

Have not exercised my right to carry yet but I am now going to be traveling in an area of the state that I think it would be exceptionally wise to carry.
The travel is for business. Out of the pickup for brief periods then back on the road. Near the border.

Where can I look to see suggestions on where to carry, while underway? Ie once on the road, I don't want it on my person, I want to put it somewhere instantly accessible in the vehicle.
Sometimes you just have to use common sense and figure things out for yourself.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes you just have to use common sense and figure things out for yourself.
?????
I am big on common sense and mine is telling me right now that I have no experience with this, and I should seek the advice of others who do. :buttkick:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You might need to get a bit creative. One thing I do is secure a holster just under the seat with velcro. It's a tight fitting rig, so it won't vibrate or bounce out. When I exit, it goes in my belt holster.
If you have a split bench, you can do the same trick between the seats.

otherwise, consider adjusting your belt holster to a position you can draw from seated.. One O'clock works for me. Cross draw can work well too.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Get used to wearing it. Don't get in the habit of taking it off when you get into the truck, because it's a sure bet that if you do, you'll never get into the habit of keeping it on when you hop out of the rig for "just a moment."

Since you cannot schedule the where and when, you'd do better to start at the beginning with a habit of keeping the gun on your person even while driving.

After all, someone behind the wheel of a million grains of stopping power doesn't need a gun at all. It's only the guy who just hopped out of his truck for a minute who might.

pax

·
Registered
212 Posts
I drive alot with my pistol under my left thigh....

·
Registered
90 Posts
You might want to check out some shoulder holsters. The weather is cool enough now to wear a cover vest or jacket. Leave if part way unzipped in the truck and you have pretty quick access while seated

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Get used to wearing it. Don't get in the habit of taking it off when you get into the truck, because it's a sure bet that if you do, you'll never get into the habit of keeping it on when you hop out of the rig for "just a moment."

Since you cannot schedule the where and when, you'd do better to start at the beginning with a habit of keeping the gun on your person even while driving.

After all, someone behind the wheel of a million grains of stopping power doesn't need a gun at all. It's only the guy who just hopped out of his truck for a minute who might.

pax
That's some solid advice right there.

·
Registered
991 Posts

pax
Great advice! Carry everywhere you can legally do so & only put it in a CoM safe when you have to.

I carry a compact 9mm in an IWB holster at 4:00 & it's as comfortable as can be.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Personally I do not like off body carry... it's too easy to get separated from your weapon.

I really suggest you carry your weapon on you! :yup:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
You really should have it on you... Maybe a driving/crossdraw holster would work for you...

Fist Driving Holster

·
Registered
39 Posts
I always carry on my body. Like said above I would hate to become separated from you weapon. If the area that you are going to is one that you are worried about I would practice drawing in your car (in and Area that you would be suitable for that kind of thing ie. area far away from others and with an unloaded gun.) Find out what is most comfortable for you and then do with it. I am not a big fan of car holsters because then you will have a tendency to leave your weapon in the car and that is never good especially if you are in an area that is not good to be in.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I don't drive a truck, but a very similar Bronco and my weapon is always in my OWB holster. I've learned to position the seat belt between my hip and the backside of the holster, keeping it out of the way, if I have to draw while driving. Make sure also that when you sit down you're not sitting on your cover garment and holding it down, pull it up so that it is loose before you put on your seat belt.
Making sure the belt is not in the way of accessing the firearm make the draw about as easy as possible while seated, and eliminates the need to disarm while driving, and having to reholster everytime you get out.
If you must remove it from the holster while driving make sure it's in a secure spot, a firearm laying around in a vehicle can become a hard heavy projectile if you are involved in a crash.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Yeah, everyone is right. Better to adjust your on body carry to suit being seated. My earlier reply was intended to help answer your initial question for the few times it really isn't convenient any other way. (my off body use is reserved for LONG rides without stops, just to get it off my belt for awhile).

·
Registered
9 Posts
don't mean to hijack this great thread, but what's your suggestions on travel with gun when you don't have a CCW in a truck? I don't have a bed toolbox so the gun has to be in the cab with me. right now I just leave it<gun> in the original box and put on the floor behind passenger seat.

Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
I drive a pickup as well. My gun is always on me unless traveling through a state I'm prohibited from carrying in. Personal preference is a IWB holster with adjustable cant. The IWB holster gives less for a seat belt to snag on and the adjustable cant allows your to position the grip for easier access.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Murphy's Law says that trouble will find you at the worst time, and having your gun in the truck when you are 30 feet from it would mean that you're unarmed at the worst time.
Your firearm should remain ON YOUR PERSON whenever it is legal to do so.
In bad areas...I would never consider being separated from my firearm, and you don't want to find that out the hard way. :nono: OMO

1 - 20 of 31 Posts