Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Wondering if anyone can direct me to a source that can checker an aftermarket wood grip for a S&W model 642 revolver? Thanks in advance.
deIvre2

·
Registered
794 Posts
Checkering is a basic skill taught in many gunsmithing schools. But, like any other skill set, those who engage in checkering more frequently and regularly are usually capable of producing superior work. Rather than relying on a local gunsmith who might do a couple of checkering jobs now and then I would be web-searching for a specialty shop offering checkering services. Depending on the complexity of the pattern and coverage required a set of pistol grips might take an hour or two, and at today's gunsmithing prices that could amount to a significant chunk of cash. A gunsmith I use fairly regularly charges $80 per shop-hour, and he is very well qualified in the trade.

Another resource might be one of the better gunsmithing programs (Trinidad State Community College comes to mind). The instructors might connect you with a talented student who can do the project as a project for his classes. If that worked out I would want to contribute toward the student's education, or perhaps pay for the necessary tools so the student would have those when he graduates and starts in the business.

I purchased a set of checkering tools about 40 years ago and I used those tools to checker a couple of rifle stocks that I fitted to rifles I built. I practiced on scrap hardwood for weeks before I made my first cut. I can point out every mistake I made!

·
Registered
33,875 Posts
Just buy a wood-burning kit and go at it. It works for Glocks.

Reactions: retired badge 1

·
Super Moderator
19,228 Posts
Are your aftermarket grips something really, really special? For the time spent searching out someone to checker them and then pay for that service, you might be better off with some other commercial offerings. Eagle Grips and Exotic Grips by Esmeralda come to mind.

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
Having checkering done is like shopping for a Tattoo! Look at their work before contracting them! There are a few that will take in your grips to be done and there are a lot more that will make your pattern on there grips. Good Luck.DR

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts