Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a new carry gun, Kahr CW9, which I shot today, and it is great. Took a little to get used to the lighter trigger than that of my Glock. Anyway, I will use it for the times when a thinner gun will be easier to carry, or for pocket carry. I will probably at certain times carry it is a BUG to my G19. So tell me, what is usually the way to do it? Strong hand pocket or weak hand pocket? Ankle?

Do you carry it in a place so that it will be easier to get to with your weak hand, or where you can get to it with your strong hand?

Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm surprised to hear that anything other than a SA/DA pistol or a competition target gun has a lighter trigger pull than a Glock. Glocks weigh in around 3-5 pounds with a factory trigger.

But more to the point-
I have at various times carried my BUG either SOB, on my ankle, weak-side, and shoulder. Give it some thought, try out what feels most comfortable to transition to should your main gun fail, and you'll figure it out. After some time and thought, I think for me personally, a BUG carried weak-side in either a jacket or pants pocket would work best.

Ankle carry seemed really cool at the time, but ended up being entirely impractical.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I believe that several factors affect how you carry a BUG, like what type of attire you will be wearing, the type of activity that you will be performing, the weather, etc.

I normally carry my BUG on my ankle, but you should experiment to find out what suits you best.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
When I typically carry a BUG, it's usually weak side pocket or weak side IWB. Since I wear shorts about 80% of the time here in the south, ankle carry really isn't an option...

Glad you like your CW9, I have one and it's great... The triggers are really quite good from the factory. Once you get a couple of hundred rounds through it, it will really loosen up and run smooth...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Here in Florida I keep to about 11clock for my BUG in a crossdraw for my right hand. I still can draw with my left though, its just slow and more difficult.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
For me, a BUG would be a G27 backing up a G22 or G23. Most of the time I've carried a BUG was OWB actually, and the larger went strong side in my usual carry location, and the BUG went weak side cross draw. I've carried SOB before with just a primary, and it works just fine. Both primary and secondary on the same side just wouldn't seem to work for me especially if both were IWB. I'd need larger pants for something like that. Never considered pocket carry or ankle carry myself. Maybe my SmartCarry would do well for a BUG. I'll have to try that one out and see.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Most often a SmartCarry. Sometimes a Comp-Tac MTac at 3:30-4:00. Recently in a DeSantis Nemesis or SuperFly in the hidden breast pocket of a 5.11 Tactical Covert casual (or dress) shirt (on sale till 31dec).

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
The few times that I have had a BUG on my person it's my KelTec P-3AT located either in my strong side pocket, or IWB/SOB.:icon_neutral:
For cities like Jax or Orlando, it's usually just extra mags.:yup:

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for replying. It seems I need to play a little bit with it. I need to find a good pocket holster, the one I have (a cheapo one) wants to come out with the gun when I draw.

I'm surprised to hear that anything other than a SA/DA pistol or a competition target gun has a lighter trigger pull than a Glock. Glocks weigh in around 3-5 pounds with a factory trigger.
Out of curiosity I checked the trigger pull weight of the Kahr, says it's around 7-9 lbs. for ALL Kahrs. I can't believe it's actually heavier (on paper) than the G19 which is 5.5 lbs. It was smooth like butter, I tell you what.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
JMO, and in order of preference.

Pocket carry strong hand #1. Keep weak hand clear for grabbing and deflecting blows, plus you can have your hand in your pocket and it wont be apparent that you're actually ready to draw your BUG if needed.

Pocket carry weak hand #2. Mostly valuable if your strong hand is damaged. Same advantage as #1 but diminished proficiency for your off hand.

Ankle carry #3. Very slow to draw and puts you off balance if being attacked. I use it occasionally, strategically not to useful.

BUG on your hip. Why? IF you can draw you BUG from your hip, why not draw your primary.:confused:

JMO, but a BUG should be carried in a way that will give you a tactful advantage with "getting on target" and "first to fire" for any gun fight.

JMO, and YMMV

GBK

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recently started carrying a backup knife on the weak side with the intent of "Cutting a path" to my strong side firearm.

However I've also really started to consider a Glock 26 in something like a Raven Concealment ACR on the week side at ~ 11:00/11:30.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've carried my BUG on my ankle, IWB and in my pocket but my all time favorite is in this:

Off hand draw right behind my spare magazine. :hand10:

OWB Holsters Desbiens Gun Leather
I love that setup...

When I carry a BUG, it is typically in the weak side front pocket, with my primary at either 2:00 or 4:00 on the strong side.

I can see the arguement for ankle carry in some situations. If I were in a car a lot, say as a cabbie, I would think ankle carry may be somewhat convenient on the left inside ankle for a backup. Thoughts?

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've carried my BUG on my ankle, IWB and in my pocket but my all time favorite is in this:

Oh that's cool...so you have your BUG and a reload for your primary. That would be a good thing for the winter..summer, trying to conceal two guns under a shirt...that would be a whole other story.

·
Registered
535 Posts

Wow, I've never seen anything like this. Thanks for the link - they have another interesting setup that combines a strong side cross-draw holster in front of the weak side spare mag.

·
Registered
535 Posts
So I recently purchased a new carry gun, Kahr CW9, which I shot today, and it is great. Took a little to get used to the lighter trigger than that of my Glock. Anyway, I will use it for the times when a thinner gun will be easier to carry, or for pocket carry. I will probably at certain times carry it is a BUG to my G19. So tell me, what is usually the way to do it? Strong hand pocket or weak hand pocket? Ankle?

Do you carry it in a place so that it will be easier to get to with your weak hand, or where you can get to it with your strong hand?

Thanks.
I also have a G19 as my EDC, but use either a Kahr PM9 or S&W 442 in a weak side pocket holster as a BUG. I own a CW9, and could carry it in a pocket holster in some trousers, but the grip is one round longer than my PM9 so it doesn't always fit or conceal as well depending on what I'm wearing.

Make sure you practice with the CW9. While the trigger pull is smooth, it feels slightly longer than the G19 to me. That also may be my perception based on the fact that the Glock trigger reset occurs further back than the Kahrs, which have to be almost to the point where your finger is off the trigger before reset occurs.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

Very nice!!!!

For me my BUG is backing up my G27 which is strongside OWB.

My Kel Tec is located in my weakside pocket.

·
Registered
522 Posts
BUG

For those of us who are a bit portly, if both the main and BUG are IWB holstered, drawing both would cause one pants to fall to the floor.
I carry mine IWB at 3:30 and a spare mag in the week hand front pocket when going into bad neighborhoods. Rest of time, no BUG or spare mags. 7 in the gun should be a good enough stopper.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts