Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where's My Reload? Its unlikely you'll ever need to reload handgun in a self-defense situation. But if you do, you'll need that reload immediately. ( NRA Shooting Illustrated April 2020) By Chris Christian)

The premise is 3-4 round on average is fired in self defensive shootings. Averages are what they are in order to obtain and average there would be data with more rounds and less rounds fired than the final data average. Four page article worth the read. The article stress's the need to carry a reload should your situation fall outside of the 3-4 rounds fired average.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I always carry 1 reload....normally in a Magholder horizontal. Thinking about the Neomag lately for summertime. If I'm able to be outside by then !!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
19,228 Posts
Where's My Reload? Its unlikely you'll ever need to reload handgun in a self-defense situation. But if you do, you'll need that reload immediately. ( NRA Shooting Illustrated April 2020) By Chris Christian)

The premise is 3-4 round on average is fired in self defensive shootings. Averages are what they are in order to obtain and average there would be data with more rounds and less rounds fired than the final data average. Four page article worth the read. The article stress's the need to carry a reload should your situation fall outside of the 3-4 rounds fired average.
"Averages" all depend on the circumstance to which they're applied. The average voltage coming out of a standard outlet in your house is zero volts, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to grab bare wires stuck into the holes.

ETA: no matter the firearm, it's always important to carry a reload.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
My reasons for carrying an extra magazine
1. Mag induced firearm failure
2. Extra rounds
Yup, just look at the remedial action drill for a 3pt jam.......half the time the next round in the mag is displaced enough to hinder reinsertion of that magazine. Faster to dump it and go with fresh.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Recently I started a subject on the minimum weapon capacity, that the experts were espousing for self-defense which was/is 10-Rds. Less than the previously mentioned capacity of 10Rds was/is not adequate (excluding law enforcement and military). I have yet to see documentation on the stated figure of 10Rds.

Now we have an article that states the average number of rounds fired in non-law-enrolment or military for citizen self-defense shootings is 3 or 4 rounds on average. But with the caveat that reload should be carried. I’m not arguing against the concept of caring a spare reload.

Thus differing perspectives and or assumptions/opinions?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I usually always carry a speed strip, but don't really ever expect to be able to use it in the middle of a gun fight. It's nice knowing it's there though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts