Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the History channel this evening where they happened to show a reenactment of a president being sworn in. With his hand on the Bible, he swears to defend, preserve and protect the Constitution of the US. Nowhere does it say to ignore it! The words gun control should not be allowed to be uttered by elected officials as they should be considered acts of treason. I know the whole premise sounds naive and simplistic, but why am I the only one who finds my blood pressure climbing when I hear Congresspersons, governors, president and VP advocating the abrogation of the 2A?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
^ GG, I agree completely.

Until we hold their faces to the fire each and every time they deliberately and actively seek destruction or circumvention of the Constitution's guarantees of liberties, we should hold them fully and completely accountable. To the point of charges of breach of sworn public oath, crimes against the Constitution and, in certain cases, treason. Until we do that, we're not going to shove these vampires back into their coffins, and we're all too likely to end up with shreds of paper instead of a Constitution.

"Rage" isn't the word for it, though.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Ultimately the voters are responsible for who gets elected. Just us showing up to cast our single vote on election day isn't enough anymore, we have to get involved in some candidates campaign with donations of money or time. We must encourage others to the polls. We have to outwork the competition.

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
It'd be respectable if they at least talked about amending the Constitution. The current system is nickle-and-diming through the backdoor.

Reactions: Tzadik

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I was watching the History channel this evening where they happened to show a reenactment of a president being sworn in. With his hand on the Bible, he swears to defend, preserve and protect the Constitution of the US. Nowhere does it say to ignore it! The words gun control should not be allowed to be uttered by elected officials as they should be considered acts of treason. I know the whole premise sounds naive and simplistic, but why am I the only one who finds my blood pressure climbing when I hear Congresspersons, governors, president and VP advocating the abrogation of the 2A?
I can assure you that you are not the only one, but remember, big brother is monitoring everything and what you say and express can come back to haunt you.. And a IP address is just as good as a phone number.:wink:

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
I can assure you that you are not the only one, but remember, big brother is monitoring everything and what you say and express can come back to haunt you.. And a IP address is just as good as a phone number.:wink:
The last time I heard this country had freedom of speech. I don't think the MIB will burden themselves with the spoken word. Now if you act on these words, that is quite possibly a different story. They do not have enough personnel to account for every discontent, especially with the current administration.
I'll let you know if they show up.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
The last time I heard this country had freedom of speech. I don't think the MIB will burden themselves with the spoken word. Now if you act on these words, that is quite possibly a different story. They do not have enough personnel to account for every discontent, especially with the current administration.
I'll let you know if they show up.
You may very well be correct there.. However, this administration is unlike any other in years gone past. I personally wouldn't put anything past the folks running it nowadays. :wink:

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
We still have Freedom of Speach....We do not have privacy

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Perhaps I am simple-minded about this but the constitution defines the box within which our republic form of governance must operate. I truly welcome robust debate culminating in laws by which we must abide to ensure an orderly society; just don't cross that bright red line enshrined in the constitution and its amendments!

Reactions: gtfoxy and Tzadik

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
When you elected Obama the second time you said good by to the Constitution as we knew it.
It is no longer the law of the land nor the standard to judge laws and legislation by. It has been rule ruled out dated and no longer valid.
And it will no longer ever be.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Every Independence Day I have a ritual of sorts that go through. I read the Declaration of Independence and compare the list of grievances against King George to what is happening in the United States today. Some of the parallels are too close. Try it,, it's enlightening.

Reactions: gtfoxy

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Every Independence Day I have a ritual of sorts that go through. I read the Declaration of Independence and compare the list of grievances against King George to what is happening in the United States today. Some of the parallels are too close. Try it,, it's enlightening.
I BBQ

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I know the whole premise sounds naive and simplistic, but why am I the only one who finds my blood pressure climbing when I hear Congresspersons, governors, president and VP advocating the abrogation of the 2A?
You certainly are not the only one but the truth is a sufficient amount of the electorate were so ignorant, in some cases illiterate, apathetic, gullible, politically correct, and willing to just throw away liberty for some illusion of security to elect these kinds of *leaders* in government. A tyrant will do what a tyrant will do. My frustration is with the mindless voters, or the lazy ones who don't vote who allow these people to be where they are. Someone elects these jokers.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
...[The President] swears to defend, preserve and protect the Constitution of the US. Nowhere does it say to ignore it! The words gun control should not be allowed to be uttered by elected officials as they should be considered acts of treason. ...
It is possible that the President interprets the Constitution and the second amendment of the Bill of Rights differently than you do. Not everyone reads the second amendment to mean that you have the right to own, and tote about the town, a high-capacity, semi-automatic pistol.

One of the strengths of the US Constitution is it's inherent flexibility. This flexibility also allows for some re-interpretation or attempts at re-interpretation. The second amendment has always been somewhat controversial. Welcome to democracy.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
It is possible that the President interprets the Constitution and the second amendment of the Bill of Rights differently than you do. Not everyone reads the second amendment to mean that you have the right to own, and tote about the town, a high-capacity, semi-automatic pistol.

One of the strengths of the US Constitution is it's inherent flexibility. This flexibility also allows for some re-interpretation or attempts at re-interpretation. The second amendment has always been somewhat controversial. Welcome to democracy.
Well, would you be so accommodating if that flexibility meant severe restrictions on the 1A?

By the way, no disrespect intended, but we aren't a democracy.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
By the way, no disrespect intended, but we aren't a democracy.
True enough. I was using the term in the popular sense of a government with powers derived from the people. The US is more rightly a Republic. I doubt a true democracy is feasible for any large and populous nation.

Well, would you be so accommodating if that flexibility meant severe restrictions on the 1A?
I prefer to take the broadest and most liberal view of the Bill of Rights. Right now the first amendment is at risk of being further eroded as limitations on the press are being proposed in the name of national security.

Personally, I don't view the constitution as granting these rights, but rather affirming those natural rights of all men. But I also know that my view is just one in a sea of millions. I beleive that, as Franklin warned, "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." I think he also said, "A countryman between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.” He may as well have said, "two political parties." Happy Fourth of July, my countrymen. :wave:

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
They're politicians. They lie during their campaigns, they lie while being sworn in, they lie when they speak to their constituents. The only thing they are consistent at is lying to the public. And no I'm not jaded in my view of politicians.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts