Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering which load people would recommend for deer hunting with a 10mm. I'm not hand loading yet and only have a few choices. So here are the loads I have to choose from:
Hornaday custom 180 XTP @ 1180fps
Federal Trophy Bonded 180 jsp @ 1275
Sig V-Crown 180 @ 1250
PPU 180 jhp
Federal Hydra-Shok 180 @ 1030

They are listed in order I'm thinking. The XTP has a good reputation but it is a little slower then the others. I wasn't able to find much about actual performance for hunting.

So if you have used any of these any info would be helpful!

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
631 Posts
XTP is a good choice, as it doesn't expand as much as other hollow points. The term they use is "controlled expansion". I keep 180 gr XTPs loaded to 1300 fps in my Glock 20. I haven't used the round on a deer yet, but I had no problem defending myself against a chipmunk last spring.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Any of your first three listed should be fine. See which shoots most accurately in you gun.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Any of those loads listed would be fine as long as you keep your ranges reasonable. .40 SW have taken a LOT more deer (and other animals) than you might imagine! I know of at least 3 that were one shot drops. So if a .40 can do the job, I don't have any reason to believe that your 10 mm won't be up to the task. Good luck!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Out of that list I'd say the xtp would be my choice. You might want to check out buffalo bore ammo or underwood ammo if you want some stuff that'll really bring your 10mm to life.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hornady XTP is my choice as an all-purpose 10mm load. Underwood offers a loading that pushed the 180 grain XTP to 1300 FPS out of a stock Glock 20 barrel. So far, it has been 100% effective on feral hogs for me. I'll also offer that my experience lines up with that reported by a VERY experienced and respected member here - he has extensive experience hunting with the 10mm. It was his reports that made me look closely at the XTP.

Underwood also offers a hard-cast 10mm loading (I don't recall if it's a 200 grain or a 220 grain). That may be worth looking at if you need extra penetration - but with correct shot placement, the XTP is probably more than adequate for most hunting.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to hear my thinking was on the right track. I read here about one or two people using the XTP in 40sw so I figured it would be a good choice. Those listed are all I have currently and will have to wait until next year to try some of the hotter loads. I was just looking to hear if anyone had any experience with the various loads.

[qQUOTE=theotherside;5075305]XTP is a good choice, as it doesn't expand as much as other hollow points. The term they use is "controlled expansion". I keep 180 gr XTPs loaded to 1300 fps in my Glock 20. I haven't used the round on a deer yet, but I had no problem defending myself against a chipmunk last spring.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering if you had enough penatration and if a follow up shot was needed??:confused::image035::tongue:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts