• Other

Votes: 40 54.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks as if I may be working again in the next week or two (fingers crossed and extra prayers said), So even though it's a few months off I've begun looking for a new 1911.
My current Pride and Joy is my Kimber.
I am considering moving up a level. The guns I have in mind are the following:

1) Ed Brown Special Forces
2) Wilson Combat Tactical Super Grade
3) Les Baer Premeir 2

After looking over all 3 and handling them and getting an opinion from 2 Gunsmiths that I deal with, I'm leaning toward the Ed Brown (Which also happens to be the least expensive).

The websites and gun articles are OK and I like and trust both smiths but now I'm requesting input from The Real Shooters, Which One?

Thanks,
George

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Here is my advice;

I have a Wilson Tactical Elite built on an STI Frame, a Rock River Arms custom, a Kimber CDP Compact and a matched pair of Les Baer Thunder Ranch Specials. If I was going to buy a new 1911 and didn't have these in my inventory I would buy the Thunder Ranch Special.

IMO, dollar for dollar, this is the best 1911 made today. :yup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think the Ed Brown is in the $2000 range, the Wilson is $3695. I don't know what the Baer runs.

Of the three, I'd go Brown. But I voted "Other".

The "Other" would be a Yost-Bonitz Custom. They will build anything, any way you want it, but have a "1*" series of packages. The top one is the 1* Elite, which when built on a Colt supplied by them is $2295.

I have a Springfield Operator they customized that's just wonderful. There isn't a part on that gun that wasn't improved in some way. I won it in a raffle last year, and handling and shooting it caused me to send them a Browning HiPower for customizing right ASAP.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I had to vote other because you are all over the board in the price ranges of these guns.

3,700.00 - Wilson SG - I think out of line on price, but that's just me.

1995.00 - EB SF - Cool gun proven quality, unique finish.

1,300.00 to 1,400.00 - P-II - Great value, great shooter, less finish but a strong 1911 that will last for ever.

Those are some pretty big differances in price point atleast.

If your going semi-custom I'd also go with a TRS! the P-II is the best value for sure though. For that kind of money a Night Hawk is right there in the mix also, so I would look at them too.

But for me, I would most definately go with the YOBO 1* pkg of your choice on a Colt platform depending on what you want to spend. 1*'s are hard to beat but they do come with a nice wait, but they are worth it.

Ti.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
The Thunder Ranch Special can be had with ambi-safety, both of mine have them. You just can't have the slim line grips if you order the ambi-safety.

·
Administrator
143,595 Posts
I Like The Ed Brown

I like everything about it except for the three holes that the metal eating termites bored through the trigger. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
acparmed said:
The Thunder Ranch Special can be had with ambi-safety, both of mine have them. You just can't have the slim line grips if you order the ambi-safety.

I didnt know that when I looked at them awhile ago. Was told you could only get one single sided safety, and I said for that much money and it doesn't come with ambi, I dont want it.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Colt for me, except for my Remington Rand that I use for matches.
frankmako

·
Registered
14 Posts
Colt built the original, and as far as I'm concerned, the best
1911-style pistol. There are some very well-built 1911-style
guns out there that are NOT "Colt", but I doubt any of them are
better than Colt.

The "tactical" guns are pretty, but I'll stick with my Series '70
Government Model .45.

Walter

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I really like my Norinco 1911A1C luckily they are a few things that we can get that you guys can't. They are apparently coming out with a higher end 1911 government for IPSC.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
Of those mentioned, I'd choose the Ed Brown Special Forces. But my first pick would be a Colt.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Well personaly i would buy a stock , cheap, 1911 of good quality say a springer ect.. then put a mudflap ( extended safety ) and a set of sights on it . Then put 1k or so rounds thro it and see what else i needed ( a melt package ect .. ) oh.. yea i almost forgot , " scateboard tape " or other non skid tape is cheap and can fill inn for a lot of custom checkering for a long time lol .

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I never spent more than $400 for a 1911 (SA Mil-Spec and Colt 1991A1) and I don't have problems. I've seen the pretty ones jam and not function any better, which makes me wonder if spending more money gets me anything of any real value.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Ed Brown. While you're at it, send me one of his Kobra Carry SS pistols too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wilson makes some nice pistols, but I'm sorry, they are getting alittle too pricey. I would say either the Ed Brown "Special Forces" or the Les Baer "Thunder Ranch".

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wilsons are nice, but pricey as mentioned. I'm still checking around butam leaning toward the Ed Brown, it'll go on the cc so price won't be the issue, I just want something really nice but without spending a fortune. I see the Ed brown has an accuracy of 11/2 inches at 50 yards, way beyond my capability to shoot but better advertised accuracy than the others (1" @ 25 yards).
This won't happen for a good 4-5 months anyway, next purchhase in immediate future is something to replace my Mak, probably a Kel-Tec PF-9

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Colt....
like to have a Wilson CQB though....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts