Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son thinks the .22 pistol is sufficient for home defense. It's better than nothing or even his BB rifle. Any recommendations? Something with more than 10 rounds? I know they're out there, but can't seem to locate them.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
SIG would be last on my list. I have the SIG target pistol whatever its model is, man its finicky on ammo. I had the SIG Mosquito and that thing was a piece of junk. Safety kept falling off, and wouldn’t feed for spit.

My #1 pick would be S&W M&P .22. Mine simply works. Great gun. 2nd on my list would be the Walther .22. I have one, and it’s close to as good as the M&P.

I dont know of any that come with greater than a 10 round mag.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the M&P 22, but the trigger has a horribly long throw. I think he said he was looking at a Ruger 22.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
I have the M&P 22, but the trigger has a horribly long throw. I think he said he was looking at a Ruger 22.
The ruger is one I dont have any experience with.

Oh, Heck, where is my mind at?!? Yeah, I do have a Ruger .22, pistol, and it rocks. But, its nothing like a carry gun, or what I thought he was looking for. I have a .22/45 lite. Red NRA edition. Its one fine gun.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
There are very few stock guns with more than 10 round magazines. You would want to look into the aftermarket accessories for .22s unless you want a Kel-Tec offering. Not many people care for their offerings, and I've never owned or shot one.

I believe @Sister has shot more brands of .22 handguns than most people. She can provide greater insight than most of us here probably can.

I used to own a Ruger MK III. Horrible trigger on the gun, and a real PITA to clean.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The M&P 22 is a good choice. Has a 12 round mag that can be modded to 18+1.

The M&P22C is also a good choice that can be increased to 16+1.

I have both and they have been uber reliable with all kinds of HV .22 ammo

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ihave two Walther P22q handguns and they work fine with most ammo as long as it's round nose ammo.It has ten rd mags. About $300.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
personally, i think he would be better off with a standard 22 with a proven lengthly track record in reliability like the ruger std or browning buckmark....if not a good 22 carbine like the 10/22 compact with 16 inch barrel.... with the hot lips extended mag that could fit the bill.....very reliable and compact.

magnum research use to offer the mountain eagle.....discontinued.....the mags were the weak link on that design as i recall.

but i still prefer the revolver format.....especially with all the dud problems that suddenly seemed to have popped up on this board.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Try your best to convince him to go up a bit to at least a .380ACP. Better yet would be a quality 9mm with some serious capacity, such as the Glock 17 or the full size Smith & Wesson M&P. Both of these guns hold 18 rounds when in full battery. When loaded with Federal HST 124 grain +P or Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P, you have a formidable defensive arm at your service.

·
Premium Member
39,193 Posts
My Glock is a bit finicky. The M&P runs great.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
If it's not for carry and just for home defense I'd much rather have a rifle like a 10-22 or a Thompson center tc-22 with the ruger 25 round mags.

Reactions: j102

·
Registered
46 Posts
If he's dead-set on .22LR, I'd go with a rifle as others have suggested. A Ruger 10/22 with 25-round magazines is lightweight, accurate, and reliable. If he'd rather go with a pistol, take a look at the KelTec CP-33 which has an insanely-huge capacity 32-round magazine. Preaching to the choir - not my choice for home defense but substantially better than a BB gun.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
personally, i think he would be better off with a standard 22 with a proven lengthly track record in reliability like the ruger std or browning buckmark....if not a good 22 carbine like the 10/22 compact with 16 inch barrel.... with the hot lips extended mag that could fit the bill.....very reliable and compact.

magnum research use to offer the mountain eagle.....discontinued.....the mags were the weak link on that design as i recall.

but i still prefer the revolver format.....especially with all the dud problems that suddenly seemed to have popped up on this board.
Dep nailed it. Given the lighter caliber, I evened the odds a bit for my 12-year-old by buying him a 10/22, putting taped factory 25-rounders back to back in it full of good hollow points...it was compact enough to handle in the house, no danger of running dry or need to reload a mag, and easy for anyone to run it. He owned the hallway. Don't know WHERE that little Ruger got off to...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Beretta FS-22, Keltec and Taurus TX22 all make handguns that hold 15 or more rounds.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
I have a Ruger MK1 from the late 70's, and a Buckmark from the 80's. Both have a full size grip, generous sights, longer barrels, good triggers, and are not ammo finicky at all. These are the guns all of my kids learned to shoot with. These are both good choices as competition guns. And they are fun as hell to shoot! The Ruger MK series and the Browning Buckmark are still made today, and are still good choices! S&W also makes a couple good ones, but I have personal experiance with those. Good Luck. DR

·
Registered
11,512 Posts
First, congratulate your son on taking an important first step. With 22LR costing what 9mm used to not long ago, it may make a lot of sense to get something he can afford more practice with.

If his place is larger, I would suggest a Ruger 10/22 semi auto rifle, with the BX25 magazines and CCI ammunition.

If his place is tight, then the more maneuverable handgun makes sense. I have a Taurus TX22 and it's great, hold 15 in the mag.

That said, given the reality of rimfire ammo ignition, I would suggest a revolver, like the Ruger LCRx with 3" barrel, holds 8 shots.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My son thinks the .22 pistol is sufficient for home defense. It's better than nothing or even his BB rifle. Any recommendations? Something with more than 10 rounds? I know they're out there, but can't seem to locate them.
How about a Kel-Tec PMR30? 30rds of .22wmr. very good sights and very light weight. Makes a great nightstand gun.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts