Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to do IDPA this summer with my Ruger 9E. Thinking about getting my son into shooting also. He shoots mine pretty good.
I was thinking of picking up a gun for him (an excuse to get another gun). LOL
I was thinking another 9E, but the S&W SD9 VE seems like a good deal. Is there other options I should look into that are reasonably priced?
Thanks for your input.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
The Ruger has a far superior trigger over the S&W SD9.

Get a Ruger SR9c as a companion to your 9E. I did

Reactions: sammeow

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Ruger has a far superior trigger over the S&W SD9.

Get a Ruger SR9c as a companion to your 9E. I did
This. I've tried both, I really didn't like the trigger on the SD9. But, as always, YMMV.

Also, what do you consider reasonably priced?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice. I'm sure he'd like the CZ, but it's probably out of my price range.
Reasonable to me is cheap. LOL I have 4 kids so I don't have a lot of play money.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I used to own the sd9ve several years ago. I traded it to my uncle and he currently uses it as his duty gun. I didn't have any issues with it and neither has he. I don't have any experience with the 9e but I used to own Rugers SR9 which should be somewhat similar. The Ruger is a decent gun and would probably serve your son well. Just don't dry fire the 9e without the magazine inserted because of the mag safety disconnect. IMO the sd9ve and 9e is probably the best bang for your buck as far as firearms are concerned.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I was thinking. I really like my 9E. Maybe I'll get an SR9c or another 9E and chop the grip.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Between the two....Ruger is the better deal. I have tried both. Ruger has the better ergos and trigger.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
I don't do IDPA, so I may be wrong, but my understanding is that they require you to drop the mag and pull the trigger to show clear. It's rumored that doing this with an SR series pistol can cause damage, due to the magazine disconnect. You might want to look into removing the disconnect from your pistol (and your son's, if you get one for him). From a brief googling, that's apparently easy to do, and legal for IDPA.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't do IDPA, so I may be wrong, but my understanding is that they require you to drop the mag and pull the trigger to show clear. It's rumored that doing this with an SR series pistol can cause damage, due to the magazine disconnect. You might want to look into removing the disconnect from your pistol (and your son's, if you get one for him). From a brief googling, that's apparently easy to do, and legal for IDPA.
Yep. Already done. It's very easy. I just wish the magazines were cheaper on the Ruger. I got the double pack at Cabela's last time. I guess that's what the Cabela's points are for! Haha...

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you are willing to look at used guns I have found some great deals. I recently picked up an all steel S&W 5906 which is a great shooter and only put me back $325. Picked up a couple new mags and it is good to go.

If not I agree you should look at picking up a Ruger SR9C to go with your current Ruger. You can use the 10 rnd mag for CC, and swap in a 17rd mag with the grip extension for IDPA. It immediately turns the compact into a full size pistol. It is also the semi auto I shoot the best of all that I have owned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts