Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok looking for input on following question need to purchase a couple of boxes of EDC defensive ammo. Looking at 9mm Remington Golden Saber 124gr. +P HP or 9mm Remington Golden Saber 147gr. HP planning to carry in my Sig P250. Or someone have another brand or recommendation completely. Not really worried about cost just want to know hopefully getting some of the best stuff out there in 9mm.

Dont want have to use it but if I do want the best if my life or family on the line.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you got a LEO friend, get the Winchester Ranger line of ammo. It is the Talon without the special lube. See the guy over at Patriot Depot, he sells via Internet to anyone. There are other suppliers also.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I prefer either Speer Gold Got 147g or Federal HST 147g. I have also been testing the hornady critical defense 115g ammo and so far I like it. I've also heard that Speer Gold Dot 124g +p is a great choice. Winchester Ranger and Winchester talon are popular but seems they arent quite as popular as they use to be. From what I understand they are still fine choices however.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with Rollo.
I prefer The HST 147 or 124 gr. but if unavailable I would go with the Gold Dot also, for me either the 124, 124+p or 147gr.
I think most modern hp ammo is pretty good, but if you can get the HST they really rock!!!!!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I use the Remington Golden Sabre 124 gr 9mm + p. I have not had to "use it" although I ran some through my Glock 19 just to make sure it goes bang. I had my paws on some Gold Dots but the Golden Sabre was the same price for 5 rounds more. I've heard good things about it but cannot compare it to the others. Where I'm at I pretty much have to wait for a gun show to drift into town to get some SD ammo. Yes I know I could order online, but luckily I've got one in the pipe and two 15 round magazines full so I've been concentrating on finding practice ammo. The most important thing is to find some that functions flawlessly through your weapon.

Joker1

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
I use 124gr Gold Dot

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Speer 124gr+P GDHP is my favorite.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I love the Federal HST rounds in all calibers, I am wanting some in 9mm but can't locate them. I would want the 124gr over the 147 gr but would take either, these HST rounds are very impressive!!! Right now I am packing Speer Gold Dots +P 124 gr and am happy with them, but would replace with HST in a heart beat!!

NCH

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Your choices are both good, but what does your gun like?

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I use the Speer 124gr +p Gold Dots for my 9mm and the180gr and 230gr Gold Dots for my .40 and .45 too.

When you care to send the best, choose GD. :wink:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I love the Federal HST rounds in all calibers, I am wanting some in 9mm but can't locate them. I would want the 124gr over the 147 gr but would take either, these HST rounds are very impressive!!! Right now I am packing Speer Gold Dots +P 124 gr and am happy with them, but would replace with HST in a heart beat!!

NCH
My 1st choice of ammo was Federal HST 124gr +P! Doing my research for a longtime seeing what was recommended or used by others I finally went out to by some. I sadly was unable to find any locally in stock. I settled for the gimmicky Pow'RBall SD 100gr +P ammo after a good saes pitch, but have not heard many good reviews about it and intend on getting the Fed HST asap.

Maybe in the meanwhile I will get the Speer Gold Dot or Gold Sabres to replace the Pow'RBalls untill I find some tho. I realize now to stick with a reliable product is very important.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are several fine SD rounds to choose from.I have always carried Remington Golden Saber 124 grain +P. I`ve done several tests with wetpacks and the GS rounds always did well and expanded beautifully.If you would like to see some ballistic gelatin results,google Golden Loki and check his tests out.:image035:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Your choices are both good, but what does your gun like?
Retsupt well said "what does your gun like"

My XD9sc likes the
Winchester 115gr fmj white box for target
Hornady 115gr critical defense FTX for ed carry

1 - 20 of 38 Posts