Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I've had my Kimber Solo for over a year now. I carry it on warmer days when I'm wearing shorts or in an ankle holster when I'm wearing a suit at work. I have close to 1000 rds through it and have not had any problems. The street ammo I've been using is 127grn Ranger T +p+. I've been reading about 147grn HST and it sounds like a good, effective round. I am looking for opinions on what would be a better round for a short barrel pistol (eg. deeper penetration) a lighter faster round like the Ranger T or a slower heavier round like the HST. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
You're going to get all kinds of opinions on heavy/slower and lighter/faster 9mm bullets. I carry 124 grain Speer Gold Dot +P Short Barrel in my Kahr PM9, simply because I've had a lot of good experiences with Speer Gold Dots feeding consistently. IMO, shot placement is going to be much more important than the round you choose. So try a few boxes and see which one you shoot better with.

Reactions: Stevew

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, I hear you loud and clear on shot placement and agree. I guess I should have phrased my question better. More specifically, out of a short barrel what is a deeper penetrator, light/fast or slow/heavy?

·
Registered
350 Posts
You're going to get all kinds of opinions on heavy/slower and lighter/faster 9mm bullets. I carry 124 grain Speer Gold Dot +P Short Barrel in my Kahr PM9, simply because I've had a lot of good experiences with Speer Gold Dots feeding consistently. IMO, shot placement is going to be much more important than the round you choose. So try a few boxes and see which one you shoot better with.
^^^ My thoughts, exactly. ^^^

I've had the same experience with Speer Gold Dots; they are loaded in every pistol that I own, except for the FiveseveN. If Speer made Gold Dots in 5.7x28, I would buy them.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've had my Solo for a few months now, but have not shot it due to only having one magazine and not being able to find additional mags. I purchased it as a possible carry, but definitely as an oddball barrel length for short barrel 9mm terminal testing.

From a 3" barrel, I think you'll find it difficult to beat the HST 147 for expansion and deep penetration. +P or standard pressure both tested well. Nothing at all wrong with Gold Dots. I just have not had the time to test their 147 grain loads yet. I'm really interested in seeing how the shorter barrel of the Solo changes performance.

First, I've had my Kimber Solo for over a year now. I carry it on warmer days when I'm wearing shorts or in an ankle holster when I'm wearing a suit at work. I have close to 1000 rds through it and have not had any problems. The street ammo I've been using is 127grn Ranger T +p+. I've been reading about 147grn HST and it sounds like a good, effective round. I am looking for opinions on what would be a better round for a short barrel pistol (eg. deeper penetration) a lighter faster round like the Ranger T or a slower heavier round like the HST. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
I just recently bought a Solo, I intend to carry it with one of the ammo recommendations from Kimber. I happened to have Winchester Ranger 147 gr. T-series which falls in their category. Aside from that it has spit out el cheapo stuff as well. But as I said, when I carry it, I'll use one of the choices they recommend.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Generally speaking I prefer the 124 grain+P's in the 9mm. I also will load up 115 +P+ ammo depending upon my area of travel. In either loading I utilize Speer Gold Dots or Remington Golden Sabers as I like their performance on target. Lots of folks here on the forum are using the HST by Federal, and some will fill their mags with Critical Defense from Hornady.

·
Banned
1,035 Posts
Shoot a variety. Load what you like.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Try Winchester Silver Tips in your 9mm. I have owned and to this date own more 9mms than any other pistol caliber. I started owning 9mm auto in 1977. In the Hi Power, the CZ-75s, a CZ-85, P-08, P-38, Beretta M9, SW 59, and finally the SIG P210-6 and later the P210 Legend from Sig Germany.

NOT ONCE since 1977 did I have a problem with Winchester Silver Tips in 9mm. I know it's hard to find this ammunition but in my mind it is absolutely the best 9mm ammunition ever made. Clean, accurate, reliable, powerful, and nice and shiny open hollow points!

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you are trying to maximize performance from a short barrel and are into +p, you may want to check out the Speer Gold Dot 124 Grain Short Barrel ammo, it tends to perform a little better in smaller guns than the regular 124+p. I myself avoid +p and shoot 147 grain. Here's a link to a you-tube comparison between the regular 124+p and the short barrel 124 grain +p: Speer Gold Dot 9mm Short Barrel vs. Standard Gold Dot Gel Test - YouTube

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you are trying to maximize performance from a short barrel and are into +p, you may want to check out the Speer Gold Dot 124 Grain Short Barrel ammo, it tends to perform a little better in smaller guns than the regular 124+p. I myself avoid +p and shoot 147 grain. Here's a link to a you-tube comparison between the regular 124+p and the short barrel 124 grain +p: Speer Gold Dot 9mm Short Barrel vs. Standard Gold Dot Gel Test - YouTube
Best ammo test ev-ah. :image035:

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've been carrying Hormady Critical Duty, but would like to try the Gold Dot short barrel when I can find it. For practice rounds I stay with 135g. It consistently fails with 124g.

Never had a failure of any kind with 135g. 1000 rounds or so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I carry both in my shield. 124 gd short barrel and 147 HST. I personally alternate both rounds at the same time. BUT... I extensively tested this to ensure my ccw would feed them without any ftf or fte.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Generally speaking I prefer the 124 grain+P's in the 9mm. I also will load up 115 +P+ ammo depending upon my area of travel. In either loading I utilize Speer Gold Dots or Remington Golden Sabers as I like their performance on target. Lots of folks here on the forum are using the HST by Federal, and some will fill their mags with Critical Defense from Hornady.
Are you talking about what works in the Kimber Solo he is asking about?

·
Registered
316 Posts
If that gun is picky about ammo at the price you have to pay for one I would get rid of it and get a gun that will shoot. I have read a lot of negative info about the Kimber brand. Pretty to look at but I wouldn't bet my life on one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts