Defensive Carry banner

If you own two of he exact same pistol in different calibers which do you EDC?

• I own both a 9mm and 45acp: carry the 9mm

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • I own both a 9mm and 45acp: carry the 45acp

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • I own both a 9mm and 40acp: carry the 40s&w

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I own both a 40s&w and 45acp: carry the 40s&wmm

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I own both a 40s&w and 45acp: carry the 45acp

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other...

Votes: 55 50.9%
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many gun owners own two of the same make and model handgun chambered in two different calibers. For example, some might own a Glock 26 and a Glock 30, a XDs, Shield, or 1911 chambered in 9mm and 45acp, etc... If you fall into that category, I'm just curious to know which caliber do you carry as your EDC, and what's the primary purpose of the one that's not?

[edit] I messed the poll up but hopefully a mod can edit it?

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
I have always carried the caliber I can shoot regularly and often without damaging my hands, arms and shoulders. It used to be 9mm. Now it is .380. More than one carry gun, but one caliber.

I still have some of the 9mm guns and revolvers in .357 that I shoot in .38 special now, but those are range use only for me now.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Have 9 and 40 but carry the 9 as it is the smaller of my guns. S&W Shield.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hard to answer this question in just a few words.
For EDC it depends on where I'm going.
I have a 9mm pocket pistol, a 40 Cal polymer and an all steel 45.
I've got more handguns, but these are the 3 that I like to shoot and all three operate almost exactly the same.

So 40% of the time I have the 9mm in my pocket around the house, shop & barn, but i almost always have the 45 in the truck.
And 40% I open carry the 40 cal if I'm in my good pants with the 45 in the truck. I also have a nice concealed holster for the 40 too!
And 10% of the time I open carry the 45 when I'm wearing my jeans. But it's a heavy tool on my belt.

I have concealed carry holsters for all three, but the 45's paddle holster if my preferred holster.
It all depends on where I'm going and what I'm wearing.

And just so you know open carry is common out here in the Country where I live and gaining more popularity.

If I'm riding fences on my gelding I have been known to wear my western rig for fun. We've got coyotes and Ferrel hogs that sometimes need killin.
Country hick town around me. Gotta love it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Since I started carrying at work, the gun I carry the most is my LCP .380. The rest of the time I carry either a Shield 9MM or Shield 45 as EDC. Now that I have gotten use to the ankle carry of my .380, I sometimes carry both the .380 and a Shield.

·
Super Moderator
18,002 Posts
I have 1911s in 9MM, 38Super, 10MM and 45ACP. The 45ACPs are my favorites but the others get carried as well and on some occasions I have revolvers in 38 and 357 that see carry duty also.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have always been a 45acp guy since I own 1911's but I tried the M&P Shield in 9mm and found out that I want to go back to the 45acp so I will be purchasing the Shield 45 tomorrow. I still have the 9mm so I answered that way.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I carry the 380 a lot, the 9 much of the time, and the 45 the least, but I do carry them all from time to time. However, I do have a Shield 40, that has given me a few problems, and it does not get carried.

My choice for the day usually boils dow to ease of carry (380), or if I just feel like I need a bit more esp in round count, then its the G19 with 10 rds, but if there's been news of "issues" in the neighborhood, the its the G30 for both punch and round count.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Usually a .40 and/or .38 Special

Sent from the Edge of my Galaxy.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
My main calibers would be 38/357; 9mm; 45acp. Carried 45acp 1911's for near 40 years; moved to a 9 g17 for a decade, now I'm back to the 45acp. The snub 38/357 is the BUG to the above unless two of them are carried.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts