Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I go in for my CC license renewal class and range qualification.

In this county, I can have up to three guns on my permit and have to qualify with them all tomorrow.

I'll start by saying I'm a revolver guy, so all are going to be revolver.

Two of them are:

S&W Model 431PD -- in 32 H&R magnum. I really like this one and it's 6 shots.

S&W Model 37 -- 2" snub, square butt. I like square butt J frames.

These two I plan to include among my three.

For the third gun, I'm debating between my S&W Model 49 and my LCR-357.

I can shoot both about equally well and am confident of qualifying with any of these.

The 49 is a classic bodyguard. Nice Smith with good trigger and accuracy. It's one option.

The LCR 357 adds the capability of shooting more powerful rounds -- 38+P and 357 Magnum. It's accurate also. It's another choice.

Which would you chose?

The 49 or the LCR?

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
If accuracy isn't an issue I would go with the S&W Model 431PD mainly because of the 6 shots.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
292 Posts
You have fine taste in armament, sir.

I would go with the 49. You'll already have 2 lightweight revolvers with the 431 and the 37. I'd add the heavier 49 to the list for those moments when your hand gets tired of the beating those lightweights give.

·
Banned
23 Posts
move out of calf. and not have to make the decision.
side rant:
its time for car co. firearms co. oil co. food producers. ect. to quite selling ANYTHING in calf. with their stupid liberal inspired laws. let em starve, walk, or give it back to Mexico. then we will see how the moon bats like the way of life they have created. bet they all move to Taxes and try to do it all again.
" SAVE THE BLACK FLY"

·
Registered
887 Posts
Is that the way gun permits are in most states, limited to 3 and have to qualify with each? Just asking because here in NC it doesn't matter what you shoot to qualify with. Permit allows you to carry whatever is your choice of caliber.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I love the versatility of the Ruger LCR in .357. Shooting .38's and .357's I think puts that one over the top. Plus, the Ruger is a well-made, lightweight gun. I think it's one of the best firearms innovations in the last few years.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I am very partial to the LCR. It shoots much softer than it should for its weight. I love a good S&W revolver too but I would make sure that the LCR is in your daily carry rotation if you conceal with mostly revolvers.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I am very partial to the LCR. It shoots much softer than it should for its weight. I love a good S&W revolver too but I would make sure that the LCR is in your daily carry rotation if you conceal with mostly revolvers.
I'm still a smith' guy after 40+ years but admittedly Ruger has surpassed the king in technology. Just yesterday I had to send a new revolver back to Smith Repair due to a factory defect.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is that the way gun permits are in most states, limited to 3 and have to qualify with each? Just asking because here in NC it doesn't matter what you shoot to qualify with. Permit allows you to carry whatever is your choice of caliber.
In Texas, you have to qualify with a .32 or larger, revolver or semi automatic. After that you can carry what you want. We don't have firearms assigned to our carry license.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Even liberal Illinois doesn't care if you carry a different handgun each day of the week.

OP I can't help you. I'm Schultz on this one.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well, I ended up going with a little different combination.

My 431PD, 49, and for the third I picked my M60-15.

The M60-15 has a 3" barrel, adjustable sights, and shoots 357 Magnum.

I figure the M60 would make a good gun for hiking and also for carrying in cargo pants or IWB.

Most likely I'll carry either the 49 or the 431 the most. The 14 oz 431 with Buffalo Bore 32 H&R magnum rounds is were I'm leaning as it has the ME of a high end 38 special +P and six rounds.

In California, the county sheriffs make most of the CCW rules. Some counties will let you carry any gun, lots of counties have a limit of 3 like the one I live in, and at least one has a limit of 10 guns on your license (which is essentially no limit).

Still other counties won't issue CCW permits at all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts