Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am in the military and stationed in Montana. I have a California state drivers license. I was wondering which state I could get a concealed carry permit so I can carry in the state and surrounding states (Idaho, Wyoming, North Dakota, etc.)

I really don't know much of anything about this subject.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Wrong question. Let me help.

Question about California, according to California view of things: "Is there any chance that you, a military war-mongering baby killing gun freak will get a CWL?" No. Don't even try it.

Montana, according to Montana view of things: "Is there any chance that you, someone that is honorably defending our nation, will be able to get a CWL to defend yourself as well?" I'd say there's a very good chance, to get one there.

As far as reciprocity is concerned, go here. According ot it, you'd be good with a Montana permit.

And as for my personal thoughts on you and the military . . . thank you very much for your service, it's greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
It appears MT has a 6 month residency requirement. Not sure if they will waive it for AD military. Looking at the map of states that honor MT permit, I'd go with it. See link below to build a map for states that honor a MT permit:

Handgunlaw.us : CCW Map

BTW welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
632 Posts
step one- change home of record.
step two- get the MT permit

welcome from an AD AF stationed at McChord.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Get a Utah permit. Good in all the states you mentioned. 33 states do recognize it including as pointed out above, all the states you asked about. As to California, just shoot yourself before applying.

Reactions: bigpapa

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Get a Utah permit. Good in all the states you mentioned.
So long as one has an in-state CHL in one's home state of residence, that is. This is a requirement UT added this past year, a requirement they didn't previously demand of non-resident CHL applicants. Might make a difference, in the OP's case, presuming he doesn't have or cannot obtain an in-state resident CHL from his home state.

Hello everyone,

I am in the military and stationed in Montana. I have a California state drivers license. I was wondering which state I could get a concealed carry permit so I can carry in the state and surrounding states (Idaho, Wyoming, North Dakota, etc.)
In many states, in order to prove residency you must prove you live there the majority of the year. So, for example, if CA and MT are both typical in this regard and if, say, you live in MT 7mos out of the year, then you ought to be able to easily declare residency in MT and go about the CHL application process there.

According to the summaries posted at handgunlaw.us:

• MT residence CHL's are recognized by most surrounding states. I'm assuming MT's CHL process is far simpler than CA's.

• CA resident CHL's are recognized by far fewer states, but also by MT as well as a couple of MT's surrounding states. But, acquiring a CHL in CA is most definitely might-never-issue, depending on where your county of residency is. Some county sheriffs are fairly sane about such things; some are horribly anti-gun and anti-2A for citizens. Lucky you, if you happen to live in a CA county where the sheriff has a rational mind on this topic. There are many, but they tend not to be anywhere near the major population centers in CA.

If I were in your shoes and could prove MT residency, I'd probably opt for the MT resident CHL, and then go for at least one or two other out-of-state non-resident CHL's from highly pro-gun states (ie, UT, FL). UT requires you to have your in-state CHL first, but IIRC FL (and some others) doesn't. Even if you happen to only be able to prove CA residency and happen to live in a pro-gun county, it's going to take you awhile to acquire a CHL. You've got lots of hurdles beyond the sheriff's approval in CA, and I'm almost certain it'll take more time than a MT resident CHL. But it can be done. (BTDT, myself, in CA. Had one for years, but this was in a more-rural county with a level-headed sheriff.)

IIRC, recently someone who's military and posted in the 29 Palms area of CA posted that an interview date/time has been schedule for the CHL application with his county sheriff. Of course, that's 29 Palms, and that county's relatively reasonable as compared to the anti-gunner major metros in the state. Uncertain where you're posted.

Questions to ask are, basically:

• What are the requirements in each state for declaration of "home" residency?

• What are the requirements for the CHL application process?

• In CA, if that's where you're going to attempt your in-state CHL, is your county sheriff rational or anti-gunner with respect to issuance of CHL's? Some good info exists on the CalGuns.net discussion forum.

Good luck, whichever way you go.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello everyone,

I really don't know much of anything about this subject.

Thanks for the help!
Arizona non-resident permit should work for you. You can do it all by mail and should take about 2 months to process.

Also looks like Florida and Texas would do the trick was well, and about California, sorry.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Get a Utah permit. Good in all the states you mentioned. 33 states do recognize it including as pointed out above, all the states you asked about. As to California, just shoot yourself before applying.

Utah will be good to try to get, my next door neighbor they getting one, the testing also is not bad and thank you for your service.

Reactions: Brig

·
Registered
115 Posts
Utah will be good to try to get, my next door neighbor they getting one, the testing also is not bad and thank you for your service.
Like ccw9mm mentioned, Utah requires non-resident applicants to have a CC permit in their state of residence before applying.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Your state of residents is Ca. your duty station is Mt. Far as I know Ca. doesn't have reciprocity with any other states.

Check with gunlaws.us and see what comes up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Like ccw9mm mentioned, Utah requires non-resident applicants to have a CC permit in their state of residence before applying.
This isn't correct. I live in NY and don't have a NYS CCW, yet I was able to get a Utah CCW. I believe the law is if you live in a state with Utah reciprocity, then you must first have your state's CCW. NY doesn't accept any other state's CCW, so I was able to get Utah's.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
This isn't correct. I live in NY and don't have a NYS CCW, yet I was able to get a Utah CCW. I believe the law is if you live in a state with Utah reciprocity, then you must first have your state's CCW. NY doesn't accept any other state's CCW, so I was able to get Utah's.
Second that. I was able to get Utah without having my home state permit. As well as VA and FL.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Bad intel, re non-res UT CHL -- correction

Second that. I was able to get Utah without having my home state permit. As well as VA and FL.
Actually, it is correct. Though in Fsfty's case, it's due to NY not recognizing the UT CHL, per Utah's requirements (below).

Refer to UT Application for Concealed Firearm Permit, per the requirements of the State of Utah Dept. of Public Safety.

State of Utah Department of Public Safety
Application for Concealed Firearm Permit
Instructions -- New Applicant

NON-RESIDENT PROOF OF PERMIT
If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.

IIRC, this requirement was added either at the end of 2011 or in 2012. Prior to that, someone without a CHL in one's state of residence could apply and be issued a non-res UT CHL. But now, per the conditions indicated above, a resident CHL might well be required.

Myself, I also first obtained a UT non-res CHL while living in another state, and at the time I didn't have a resident CHL in that state (having newly moved there). But, that was at the time preceding the implementation of the above resident-CHL requirements by UT.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
The statement "Utah requires non resident applicants to have a CC permit in their state of residence before applying" is incorrect. This does not apply to ALL non res applicants. A good deal of the applicants, but not all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts