Votes: 45 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting a new full size semi auto lately. I prefer one with a polymer frame for concealed carry. I bought a CZ 75B a few months back, but I want something that weighs a little less. I have been considering the Springfield XDM 9mm, H&K VP9, and the Glock 17. I have owned guns from each of these companies, but I have never owned or shot any of these particular guns. Unfortunately, I don't have a local shooting range that rents guns to try before buying. This could be the reason I trade guns so much. For those of you that have experience with these weapons, please give me the pros and cons of each.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CZ75, but you have to decide whats best for you
The CZ75 is great, but I want something with a polymer frame. I am looking for opinions from previous owners of these particular guns to help me decide since I don't have the option to try before buying.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I voted for the Glock. Mostly because I feel it's one of those guns every gun person should own. Easy to find, tons of aftermarket support, cheaper mags. I'd also look at the Sig P320, a great pistol with options and maybe the best factory striker trigger on the market right now.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a FS M&P .40 that I quite like. I have a Storm lake conversion barrel for it and a couple of 9mm mags so I shoot it as a .40 or a 9mm
all the time with no issues yet. (makes practice a lot cheaper being able to shoot 9mm at the range). The VP9 is also one of my favs
as well as the Sig P320. If I didn't already have the M&P I'd be chasing the Sig P320 (Mass. compliant still not available yet :mad: )

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
All the ones mentioned are going to be great. Glocks are great and the one thing they have over just about (if not all) any polymer is AFTERMARKET stuff. Sometimes this isnt a big deal to someone as they plan to keep and always run it 100% stock..i don't think (other than maybe 1911's) any other company offers more or better aftermarket.

Thing with glocks is though you either like the grips/grip angle or you hate them there isnt a middle ground. The grips are what made me a non glock owner they were bad enough the gun naturally in my hand just didnt point straight.

CZ is awesome also id love one their polymer model is high on my,list

XDM also great and reliable

The new HK vp is nice also

the one that i didnt see mentioned that I love ia Steyr so add taking a look at that to the list.

You cant go wrong with any though.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I like my Springfield XD and like it a lot. So much so I've done a lot of research on the MOD 2 in 9mm that I'm considering getting for the wife. However I have not hefted or shot any of the other models you mentioned so I can't comment on the weight. Others that have, claim the XD is heavier than a lot of the other polymer framed ones you listed. Just thought I'd add that for your consideration.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should have been more specific on the Glock 17. Do you recommend the Gen3 or Gen4 if I decide on the Glock? I have never owned a Gen 4 Glock, but I read about spring issues, is this still a problem or has it been resolved?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like my Springfield XD and like it a lot. So much so I've done a lot of research on the MOD 2 in 9mm that I'm considering getting for the wife. However I have not hefted or shot any of the other models you mentioned so I can't comment on the weight. Others that have, claim the XD is heavier than a lot of the other polymer framed ones you listed. Just thought I'd add that for your consideration.
Thanks for the info, I have heard the SA Mod 2's are great guns.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Only you can decide what's best for you. You need to try them and see how they are. At the very least, you want to hold one and try the trigger.

Best is a very subjective term. Best reliability? Best accuracy? Best for concealment? Best/easiest maintenance? Best balance? Best trigger? Best magazine capacity? I don't think there is any one gun that is the best at everything. Of course, I own a G19, which is truly the best pistol ever made...:banana:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have no experiance with the hk or the Springfield, but I do have a g17 gen 4. Has been flawless and I am a fan of the avalible parts and inexpensive mags. I also liked the m&p 9 but I just shot better with the Glock.

·
Registered
177 Posts
There's nothing bad to say about the VP9. It's great being able to customize your grip and the trigger sets the bar for everyone else.

Reactions: AmmoFan01

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
A lot of people do carry full sized, but man.

I had an XDM its a really nice pistol, it's grip is a little longer than the Glock and others so keep that in mind. Buy the compact and you can have the full sized barrel with the short magazine, and Springfield designed it to use an extended magazine that exactly matches the profile of the full sized grip and have the same capacity as full size. The XDM has steel sights with fiber optic rod front, steel mag release, steel magazines, steel guiderod, abd is just a well built handgun.

I have the P320 Compact which is the size of a Glock 19 and has plenty of great features from ergos, to texture, night sights, decent capacity 15+1, and a great trigger. I really like it overall and boy is it accurate. Not much else you can say except nice gun!

I really like the Glock 17, its a nice all around pistol, it does everything well and is my fall back and probably all time favorite pistol. It has great capacity, a good grip, accurate when you do your part, acceptable trigger, has unlimited aftermarket support, and is pretty durable too.

The thing is, you are on the right track, you are starting out with a CZ, and the other choices in your lineup are in the top of the field, you would have a hard time going wrong with any of the ones you mentioned. I say close your eyes and pick one of tge ones you have listed.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts