Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G36 vs G30s or SF

I've got a G26. I'm looking at a 36 ( of course we're talking here as if were 4 months ago ) Or a 30S or SF. The 36 is thinner in the slide making carrying easier. Can any dark side members tell me which way to go? Conceal ability and capacity are important of course. What else is there?

Anyone from the dark side tell me about the 36 vs 30S or 30 SF.

Thanks.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have a G 36 in my rotation as well. Very accurate, dependable, and easy to carry

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
My reply seems to have fallen into the abyss but in summary, I've shot the 30, the 30SF is minimally smaller, the 30S is the 30SF frame with a slimmer slide but still double stack. As far as concealment, none are small guns, they are much larger than the 26/27/33.

I've seen precisely one 36 in person ever, it was at a LGS being picked up by a guy that had ordered it.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I rotate all three...G21, G30 and G36. For example the G36 in an Alessi shoulder rig is perfect for motorcycle rides, whereas the G21 in a Galco concealable works with a winter coat. The G30 in a Don Hume OWB works with everyday wear under a shirt or jacket. If I had to choose only one it would be the G30.

·
Registered
41,235 Posts
Glock 30 - concealable, can use the G21 mag for increased capacity in backup or home duty. I haven't found the size of the G30 to be the concealment issue as much as the weight. .45 ammo in any capacity adds up in a hurry. But IMO, the G30 splits the difference between the 36 and 21.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
go with the g30. in the long run the different in size between the g36 and the g30 is nothing. so i would go with the g30 because of more rounds and you can use the g21 mags.

·
Registered
37 Posts
30 SF or Gen 4 G30 for me :embarassed:. I would have went with the G30S but I plan on this being a backpacking/hiking gun and plan on getting a 10mm conversion barrel and G29 mags.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I chose the G30SF also because the capicity and mag interchangeability was worth more to me than the limited capacity yet thinness of the G36. It was a personal choice that I had a hard time making but in the end, I think that it was the right one for me.
I didn't go with the G21 because I felt that I wasn't willing to try to conceal something that big when I could get the same capacity by using the mags for the 21 without adding the size. Again, a personal choice.

I wish you the best of luck and IMHO, you really can't make a bad choice with either of these 3. All 3 are great guns.

I have no experience with the G30S.

·
Registered
177 Posts
30SF is about the size of the 19/23 but thicker and heavier. I carry IWB in a belly band holster, not a problem with concealing or being too heavy.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
just depends on how well you can conceal a gun that is 1.27" thick (G30) vs 1.13" for the G36. I have both the G30SF and the G36.
They are really different guns....the G30 is very soft shooting and forgiving....the G36 is much more violent and unforgiving (don't limp wrist a G36)
to shoot, but is a lot of fu for those that enjoy a little recoil. Fully loaded with 11 rounds of .45acp, the G30 feels like a brick compared to the 7 rounds of the G36.
Nice that if you go with the G30, you can use the G21 13 round mags...not so on the G36 which is a single stack pistol.

I enjoy shooting the G30 more, but carry the G36 more due to the width and weight. I have no problem with 7 rounds of .45acp and the
capacity issue is a moot point for me.

G30SF with G21 mags and A&G Grip Extender

G36

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a G36 in my EDC rotation and I added Pearce +1 Magazine extensions, which I love. It's an excellent shooter, easy to conceal, and has decent capacity with the extension.

Get a G36 - you'll love it!
saa.

Reactions: FlaRon

·
Registered
136 Posts
Go 10mm, it's a double-complete rainbow all the way.

(I love the part around 2:35...sounds like he goes into full cereal killer mode for a couple of seconds. Yah, I know, I like "cereal" killer better.)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just depends on how well you can conceal a gun that is 1.27" thick (G30) vs 1.13" for the G36. I have both the G30SF and the G36.
They are really different guns....the G30 is very soft shooting and forgiving....the G36 is much more violent and unforgiving (don't limp wrist a G36)
to shoot, but is a lot of fu for those that enjoy a little recoil. Fully loaded with 11 rounds of .45acp, the G30 feels like a brick compared to the 7 rounds of the G36.

Nice that if you go with the G30, you can use the G21 13 round mags...not so on the G36 which is a single stack pistol.

I enjoy shooting the G30 more, but carry the G36 more due to the width and weight. I have no problem with 7 rounds of .45acp and the
capacity issue is a moot point for me.

G30SF with G21 mags and A&G Grip Extender

G36
Great reply. Thanks. 36 it is. (When I find one )

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Thin for me...

When I decided to get a Glock .45 I considered the alternatives and went with the G36, as I wanted something easily concealable. I already had a G23 and G19, which offered plenty of capacity, so I was more interested in having the .45 ballistics in a very compact package. I am glad I went with the G36, and have been very impressed with the gun. I still can't believe how accurate the gun is for its small size.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Glock 30 - concealable, can use the G21 mag for increased capacity in backup or home duty. I haven't found the size of the G30 to be the concealment issue as much as the weight. .45 ammo in any capacity adds up in a hurry. But IMO, the G30 splits the difference between the 36 and 21.
I agree with OldVet...the G30 is in my opinion the best of the compact Glock 45's. I had one as an off duty/backup gun when I was a LEO. It concealed well and shot amazingly accurate for a gun its size. For my hand size which, according to my wife is the equivalent to a Grizzly Bear paw, I found it gave me enough perch to fully use my little finger. It also filled my palm well which made shooting fast follow-up shots easier.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I personally think that the G36 is REALLY big for what you get. It's pretty much the size and weight of a Glock 19.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts