Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been buying guns for almost 5 years now and I've had a couple of glocks in my past but sold them when times got bad. I was in college at the time and needed money sometimes. Now I kind of want to get another glock but I'm not too sure which one to get first. I was thinking getting the 26 first and then stock up on a few glock 19 mags so that when I get the 19, I'll already have a lot of mags. I want to get both of them eventually but which one do you guys think I should get first?

Thanks in advance for you advice!

·
Registered
436 Posts
My vote is for the 19. I can't seem to get a proper grip on a 26, so w/o a g19 mag, it is unusable for me. I even toyed with the idea of getting a 26, add mags for the 19 (with X-grip sleeves), and tried it out at my LGS. Turned out that if I did that, I had a G19 that was stamped with a G26 label, and maybe a half inch shorter slide. I decided that since I already had a G19, that I didn't need another one whose only differences were the shorter slide and a G26 label, especially since my 19 shoots so well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that I think about it, getting the 19 would work for me better until I do get my license. Especially for home defense. I will definitely keep it in mind when I go to the gun store to make a purchase.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
I think you are on the right track. A G-26 with G-19 mags and G-26 mags is a very versatile handgun that can full fill SD, HD, and CC roles. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
If you aren't going to use it for concealed carry, I'd go with a 19, or maybe even a larger frame. If you do plan to use whichever you get first for concealed carry, get whichever you will be the most comfortable carrying.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Unless it's a dedicated concealed carry gun, I'd get the G19 first. It's a better range/HD gun for most people due to the full grip. Of course, it's pretty concealable too, but the G26 is a little better there (for most people) due to the shorter grip.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I mentioned in my original post I do plan on getting both and I WILL be concealed carrying both of them. I am starting to lean toward the G19 now but I will see how I feel when I go to the store in the next couple of months.

·
Banned
145 Posts
I faced that same decision 6 years ago and ended up buying both. I kept the 19 and sold the 26. Why? With a pinkie rest the 26's grip is almost as long as the 19 but you give up rounds. The 19 is the perfect sized gun for carry, home defense and range use. It can be used in competitions too.

·
Banned
2,462 Posts
Just to change it up a little bit, how about a 17 and a 26? The 17 would be a slightly better option for home defense IMO and the 26 can accept 19 mags as well as 26 mags should you want a smaller profile while carrying.

·
Premium Member
8,131 Posts
Of your two choices, definitely the 19 first. I shoot my 17 best, but it is a bit large for concealed carry purposes for some of us with smaller bodies. I carried the 19 on my "smaller body" (picture in my avatar) for quite a long time and had no problem keeping it concealed.

I also had a 26. (I recently sold it.) Some people say they can shoot the 26 best. I was not one of them. All the Glock 9mm sizes are the same width. Except that the 26 will be a bit too tight in some Kydex holsters and I do not know the reason for that. The difference is in the barrel length (greater accuracy with a longer barrel for me) and the length of the grip. One holster should "do" for all if it doesn't have an enclosed or partially enclosed end.

And now, to throw a bit of confusion into the game: My G34 is REALLY accurate and my first choice for a home defense gun, with a revolver as back up "just in case of a malfunction".

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
I own both, but carry the 19 90% of the time. In my opinion, it's the more versatile weapon. Big enough to serve as a home defense weapon and small enough to conceal.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Most all GLOCK fans do it one of two ways. Either they begin with a 19 and buy more. Or they start with other models and eventually decide...on a 19! :biggrin2:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
If you really want both be careful starting out with the 26. I bought my g 26 7 or 8 years ago as my first glock because the gun store didn't have any 19s at the time I decided I needed to try a glock. I figured If I liked the 26 I could always get a 19 later on. Well In fact I did like the 26. So much so that I've felt no need to get a 19 because I enjoy this little gun so much. It shoots so much like a bigger gun with the flexibility to use the flush 10 rounders or 19 and 17 mags. My favorite mags are the 12 rounders with the pinky extension.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
606 Posts
I got a 19 as my first Glock and a 26 came a couple years later. Had I done the opposite I don't think the 19 would've seen much carry time. The 26 conceals so well and I shoot it surprisingly well considering I have big hands.

I would recommend someone getting the 19 first because it fills so many roles. While the 26 could serve nightstand duty, I wouldn't be 100% comfortable with it. The 19 Is the perfect size for a gun serving nightstand/carry duty imo.

·
Super Moderator
24,661 Posts
99 out of 100 Glock owners will tell you to get the 19.

The 17 may be the one that started it all, but the 19 is the most preferred.

And that is a scientific answer :gah:

·
Registered
233 Posts
The Glock 19 is the jewel of the whole Glock lineup in my opinion, as well as the opinion of lots of other shooters. Handle and hopefully rent each one to see which feels better and shoots better for you.

We are all different. For me, the Glock 26 is a little brick which I don't like to either handle or shoot. Others love it so only you can decide on the G26.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Or you could buy the G26 with the mag adapter. Get a few G19 mags and now you have a easily concealed pistol that holds 10+1 or almost as easy to conceal that holds 15+1. Very versatile. If money gets tight you have your one pistol that serves both duties of CCW and Home defense. And when money gets better get a G19 if you want. Many say the G26 is more accurate but ymmv with that

1 - 20 of 59 Posts