Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide on one of two guns based on trigger. I have dry fired both but would like someone who have actually fired both, to give their opinion on which trigger they like better. Thanks

Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield 9mm Performance Center Ported

Springfield XD Mod.2 9mm Sub-Compact Black Essentials with GripZone

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I am not one who rides the reset or anything but if you are talking about a plain ole trigger pull, the springfield feels better, smoother and lighter to me. It may be because it has a wider trigger which simply feels better to me.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not one who rides the reset or anything but if you are talking about a plain ole trigger pull, the springfield feels better, smoother and lighter to me. It may be because it has a wider trigger which simply feels better to me.
Ok..one for Springer.....should been a poll.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Not trying to be a smart A--.....but with all the really nice guns you already have....why would you want EITHER of those two?
Just sayin......:confused:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not trying to be a smart A--.....but with all the really nice guns you already have....why would you want EITHER of those two?
Just sayin......
I take that as a fair question:smile: I am not the king of gun ownership, but I have accumulated some decent ones over the years. Lost a fortune selling things like my Colt snake collection...like a Viper that now is selling for 4K, but I digress. I think I actually have the common disease that many here have...I can't have too many guns. But I only want just one more...:smile: I just seem to think I can get the perfect gun, but that never happens because it does not exist. I really wanted one of the above, because they seem dependable to EDC, yet not too pretty to worry about scuffing up. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have the Shield PC 9mm, XD-S 9mm 3.3", Walther PPS M2, Glock G43, Kahr P9, Ruger LC9S pro, and Honor Guard as well as several others. The Shield PC and the Walther PPS M2 are both great for single stack carry guns. The Ruger has the "lightest" double action trigger with no real reset. My PC has a difficult reset to feel during rapid fire but a nice trigger pull. The P9 has the smoothest double action and is pretty light. The G43 is a Glock with the nicest feeling reset. The XD-s is pretty nice as well. The PPS M2 is the most accurate and I like the Shield PC the most. I have no issues carrying any of these and I train with each and every one. For IWB I carry the G43 and the LC9Spro. OWB I carry the rest. And my BUG is a S&W 340 PD. Hope that helped. Federal HST 147 +P in all of them except the G43...I use standard pressure 124gr HST

·
Registered
926 Posts
Classic or M2. I have the M2, so I might be biased...ah hell, who am I trying to kid...all my handguns are Walthers.
Well I have the classic. I've played with the M2 and I honestly don't remember what the trigger was like...LOL.

Overall I still prefer the classic.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the Shield PC 9mm, XD-S 9mm 3.3", Walther PPS M2, Glock G43, Kahr P9, Ruger LC9S pro, and Honor Guard as well as several others. The Shield PC and the Walther PPS M2 are both great for single stack carry guns. The Ruger has the "lightest" double action trigger with no real reset. My PC has a difficult reset to feel during rapid fire but a nice trigger pull. The P9 has the smoothest double action and is pretty light. The G43 is a Glock with the nicest feeling reset. The XD-s is pretty nice as well. The PPS M2 is the most accurate and I like the Shield PC the most. I have no issues carrying any of these and I train with each and every one. For IWB I carry the G43 and the LC9Spro. OWB I carry the rest. And my BUG is a S&W 340 PD. Hope that helped. Federal HST 147 +P in all of them except the G43...I use standard pressure 124gr HST
Good info...thanks

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Colt Diamondback!:35: I couldn't resist:image035:

Reactions: ghost tracker

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well I have the classic. I've played with the M2 and I honestly don't remember what the trigger was like...LOL.

Overall I still prefer the classic.
I handled, but didn't shoot, the Classic. At the time, it had the big backstrap and that helped it feel not so wafer thin. That was one of the reasons I didn't like the Shield.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I took the PPS M2 and the PC Shield to the range today. I can shoot the PC better than the PPS M2 meaning the PC shield fit my hand better and the recoil is reduced from the ports. Either one was fine and I suspect any of the ones I mentioned will do you well. I typically shoot at 7 yards and periodically go to 10-15-20 and 25 yards. Both did well today. Accuracy was close between both. I was using blazer brass 115gr fmj I think the Shield is a tiny bit smaller and holds 8 rounds. 9 with the mag guts Both guns have been 100 % reliable. I will copy and paste my findings with the G43

I purchased a new G43 and installed ameriglo night sights and ghost edge connector. I have 4 mags all the number 1 mags. Two I left stock OEM6 rounders and one I put on taran tactical +2 base plate (with new spring provided) and the other strike industries EMP G43 +2 second gen base plate (with a spare brand new taran tactical spring).
With FMJ 115gr winchester white boxes everything performed flawlessly. G-43 shot great, sights were great and ghost edge worked well. I tried out Federal HST 124gr +P, Federal HST 147gr, Federal HST 147 +P and Speer 124 +P gold dots. They all performed flawlessly out of the OEM 6 rounders. The Federal HST 147 +P consistently shot the tighter groups while all were acceptable groups.
BUT in either of the +2 mag extensions I had consistent failure to feed with ALL the different self defense loads. Most failure to feeds were on the last 7th or 8th round.
So I replaced the stronger springs with the factory 6 round spring and +2 base pads and I had greater failures. Some were at the second round, some the fourth and some last seven or eighth. Just to make sure I used my other OEM 6 rounders and again all self defense loads functioned flawlessly.
For me I could only get the FMJ to perform with the +2 base pads. ALL of the self defense loads had failure to feed issues with the +2 base pads with either stock spring or taran tactical supplied spring.
Next time I head to the range I am trying the pearce grip +1 extension and stock OEM 6 round springs.
UPDATE: I went to the range with the taran +1 and the pearce +1 and 3 oem 6 rounders. The 6 rounders were flawless with Speer gold dot 124+P, Federal HST 124, 147, 124+P and 147+P and Corbon barnes bullets. With BOTH +1 extensions I had failures to feed with ALL the different hollow points around 5th-6th round. With FMJ the +1's functioned fine.

I purchased a Honor Guard couple of months ago.
Ergonomics were good. Fits the hand nicely, Stippling works well, I use the curved back strap. Fit and finish is good and adequate for a sub $500 pistol. Internals look good and the removable chassis is very easy to do. Trigger is wide and mine breaks closer to 6 1/2 pounds not 7 1/2. I do have a lyman digital gauge but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It is easier than my Glock 43 and on par with the PPS M2. Magazines resemble the shield and drop free nicely. Ambidextrous controls are well placed and functional. I also purchased a couple extra 8 rounders, new barrel and a couple of recoil springs for spares since they are proprietary.
Now for the interesting part Range time. I loaded up 3 8 rounders with Federal HST 124+P right off the bat. First shot was 6" low and the pistol failed to feed the next round. This occurred for all 24 rounds. I could not get Federal HST's to cycle at all. They would fire when I did get them chambered. So I went to FMJ and rounds were still 4-6" low but cycled flawlessly. So I found the president of the company's phone number Gary Ramey and telephoned him. He was quite concerned and got me in direct touch with his firearms engineer Adam. Adam and I discussed this situation and I felt it was not the magazines but the feed ramp lip at the bottom. I told him I have the new barrel and will try that. He asked me to caliper measure the two barrels and the original barrel was .010 larger in most all dimensions. I went back to the range last Sunday with the new barrel. All Federal HST's 124 +P, and 124 non +P cycled perfectly and all shots were POA=POI. All FMJ were flawless as well. So I then practiced mag reloads and ran into a problem that "sometimes" the HST round would nose dive in the mag and hang up on the feed ramp. I texted this information to Gary and Sunday night he called me saying he near my vicinity (I am in Albany NY and the Honor Defense is in GA). He asked if he could meet up with me so on Monday Gary drove to my office. We sat for an hour or two discussing and troubleshooting. He took my original barrel and left me a couple of 8 rounders (one new and one used that functions perfectly for me to try) They are going to address this issue and get back to me with a new barrel. I did not have this issue with Speer 124 +P gold dots, Ranger 124+P or Corbon DPX 115 +P. Only Federal HST which of course is my carry round. I can not say enough about their customer service. It was above and beyond for Gary to stop in and help with this issue. I will keep everyone updated on the progress. Their customer service so far is beyond fantastic. They have replaced my barrel and so far so good.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
All I need in a trigger is a smooth action under 7lbs . I have several DW revolvers DA/SA with 2lb SA pulls or a fuzz under with zero take up or over travel and they make kill shots on game reliable easy and DA type triggrs on kahrs with 5.5lb + or - a few OZ pulls that work very well for a defensive until handsurgery cause me to change handguns for carry . My current large CC is a sig p320 compact with what sig calsl a DA striker trigger that has a short reset that's easy to shoot very well at 6.5lbs pressure to fire . My wife loves her m&p9c with a 4.5lb pull with some apex parts and lots of polishing and her CORE with a full apex comp kit and trigger and I still don't care for them . There gritty to me . I also have a kimber ultra as my small iwb carry with a good 4.5lb SA trigger and its functionally fine . I like it too .

What we like means NOTHING . Carry the one you like and shoot well . Both your shield and XD work well for many people . I not a fan of porting on a carry pistol .

·
Banned
3,343 Posts
I like the Kahr, any model. But, of course, they sometimes have quality control issues and their magazines leave a lot to be desired.

To me the trigger should not be super-noticeable, it should be transparent. I would say the best designed trigger has to be the 1911, with the straight back pull. But I like the G26, the XD(m) series, and S&W DA/SA older all metal versions (like the 469/459). I don't know how to advise someone else which the best for them would be.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
HK VP line, oops, wasn't an option, seriously every firearm feels different, I have two identical Glock 23, one has a too good of a trigger the other one is so-so, no trigger work done and about the same amount of fired rounds in both.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Very subjective, I would think. I love a smooth K frame trigger, but most people don't.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I have not tied a grip zone xd , only a xdm model trigger. I also own several M&P pistols. While the M&P triggers may not feel the best, they do seem to wear in with use and even from the factory quite usable. A friend who happens to be a 20+ year LEO trainer got a new M&P and wasn't thrilled with the trigger . Once he shot it , his opinion seemed to change and he shoots the M&P more than other pistols he owns.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts