Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Narrowed it down to these two. Just wanted some input on which has the better trigger and why

·
Registered
180 Posts
They are about 99% the same. I have the Kel Tec and a buddy has the LCP. We've shot each other's guns several times and other than the smoother finish on the Ruger's polymer you couldn't tell the difference if blindfolded. Neither trigger is anything to brag about, but gets the job done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would say they are pretty close, but let's face it, neither gun is manufactured or purchased for shootability, but for concealability. Fantastic to carry but not the greatest in usability. I do like the long trigger pull for safety. There is no manual safety, but the trigger is so long you would never end up pulling it by mistake.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Well, Ruger made a copy of the KelTec and shined it up a bit...pretty much the same gun.OMO
I like my P-3AT.:yup:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
(Disclaimer, I don't own either, but have played with both)

For my money, the LCP has the better trigger, but as already been stated, they are close enough for gov't work.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Not a dimes worth of difference to me. The fit and finish is a little better on the LCP, but function wise, both work every time.:22a:

·
Registered
371 Posts
I like the LCP better overall
If you do get a KT I would suggest
one with the parkerized finish if you
can find one easily

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just looked at both today. The Kel-tec had the smoother trigger of the two. The Ruger had a rough feel as it came back, the Kel-Tec was very smooth. I did like the fit and finish on the Ruger better.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I have owned a Keltec P3AT and I currently own a Ruger LCP and you are correct sir, the difference between the two triggers doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Both are fine little pistols and will do the job if you do your part.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got the LCP that purwater mentioned. Other than the LCP being a little more polished, they are the same. If i had it to do over, given the cheaper price of the KelTec, i would buy it and use the extra cash for ammo and magazines. Both are great little guns for the purpose they are intended to serve.

·
Registered
829 Posts
shot both and cant tell the difference either. There is more difference in the grip than the trigger to me. If carrying in the pocket it doesn't matter, if IWB and no tshirt or hoslter which protects the skin from the grip i'd go lcp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This week my brother and I swapped shooting these guns to see the difference. I have the LCP and he4 has the Keltech. We both liked the pull on the LCP a little better. My LCP has a more even pull. I was told that the two guns looked the same on the outside with the better finish being on the LCP but that the inside was very different. The sales guy that told me that had no idea that he was talking about. We took them apart next to each other and they looked the same in every part. They don't have interchangeable parts but they almost did. We both shot a little better with the LCP

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a keltec and have never shot the lcp. I have to say I like my Keltec p3at and would buy another if i ever needed to. Plus it was 100 dollars cheaper then the LCP.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I love my LCP. For me, and probably because of the long heavy trigger, it is more accurate in rapid fire as opposed to two handed slow aimed fire.

Mine had a little creep in the trigger when I first got it but it has smoothed out considerably and I have had surprisingly good results with it.

Six - eight inch groups one handed with weak side in rapid fire at 7 yards. A little tighter at five or six inches with one handed strong side.

Can make styrofoam coffee cups dance on the ground and hit it every time with two hand rapid fire.

I've shot it two or three time with J man from the forum and he's about ready to get one for himself.

No experience with the Kel Tec but a lot of people love theirs and they are essentially the same gun. I thought the Ruger was worth the extra $50 for the better finish and less of a rough look as the Kel Tec, but I have no doubts the K-Tec is just as good a shooter.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I guess I am in the minority here. My LCP has never had one FTF or Jam in its roughly 300 rounds. The gun is smoother all the way around compared to the Kel-Tec I had....finish is smoother and so is the action, but just a little.

The texture of the frame on my LCP seems to allow me to grip it way better than I could with my KT...more aggressive.

AND the biggie for me..my KT went back to the factory for repairs TWICE before I gave up on it.....the first time the frame swelled upon shooting...sort of imploded...the second time, the take down pin would just dislodge under normal firing and so the gun would start to "take itself down for cleaning prior to the end of range use!"...

I know others have had great response with KT's but I am done with them from my experiences......PLUS, if you read a fair amount here, you will read about trigger spring issues and others from the KT line...just not the best quality for me.

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
I have both. The Kel-tec's trigger is better and grip is easier to hang on to.

I carry the P3AT.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts