Defensive Carry banner

Which home security features do you use in your home?

• Dog

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Fenced property with vehicle gate

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • Deadbolts

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Steel doors

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Bars on windows/doors

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Security cameras

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Motion sensor outdoor lights

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • Alarm system

Votes: 44 44.0%
  • Security film on windows (anti-breakage)

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Safe room

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Moat with alligators

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 13 13.0%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a person can spend a small fortune (or a large one!) on home security, but I am trying to evaluate what's practical for where we live. We employ an alarm system, solid doors, and dead bolts. Given that we have a fair amount of glass, I've considered the 3M film that protects windows, but there is nobody close by who installs it.

I am betting that most people on this forum take home security pretty seriously. So, I am curious how many of the home security defense systems listed in the poll do you have? This is a multi-answer poll so be sure to select ALL of the systems you use.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
There's a 500 bed jail complex a mile from my house. When the inmates escape the first thing they do is try to find a change of clothes and transportation. Some of them walked off a work detail around lunchtime and broke into the next-door neighbor's house and stole clothes last year.

About five years ago 12 of them walked off. It turns out that they were all convicted murderers awaiting extradition. The jail didn't know that they were felons. ICE was renting beds from the local jail and failed to inform them that the people they were housing there were violent felons. Several of the bad guys were located in the Dominican Republic almost a year later.

We also have a problem with vagrants living in the woods near me. A lot of them have relatives staying at the jail. They like to break into neighborhood homes during the workday to supplement their welfare. They come into the yard and use my outside power outlets to charge their obamaphones and use my water faucets. Not really a big problem, but they tend to leave the water running and steal anything that's not tied down.

Because of these issues, I've gradually increased my level of security. One guy tried to break in at midnight a few years ago even though he knew we were home. He met my dog and changed his plan.

Another guy tried to kick in the back door at about 9:00 p.m. when my wife and kids were home and I was out of town. He set the alarm off and left without getting in.

I've got an alarm, five dogs, reinforced doors, video cameras, etc.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Dog, metal door skins over existing hard wood jambs, solid oak door, long throw deadbolt, ornamental burglar bars in the rear, security film on front windows, 3 exterior cameras 1 obvious / 2 obscured, monitored security system, dusk til dawn solar flood lighting, green/white strobe mounted to brick mailbox which flashes when alarm is triggered. There is always a car in the driveway and I am home most of the time. When I am gone I usually leave the outdoor speakers playing local talk radio

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dog, metal door skins over existing hard wood jambs, solid oak door, long throw deadbolt, ornamental burglar bars in the rear, security film on front windows, 3 exterior cameras 1 obvious / 2 obscured, monitored security system, dusk til dawn solar flood lighting, green/white strobe mounted to brick mailbox which flashes when alarm is triggered. There is always a car in the driveway and I am home most of the time. When I am gone I usually leave the outdoor speakers playing local talk radio
Now that's what I call some serious security!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Now that's what I call some serious security!
I feel its pretty decent and it was not something that happened over night. I have tackled one issue per year and finally got to a point that I considered "complete" this time last year. I live rural and people have a hard time finding our place. My last addition was to add the strobe to our roadside mail box. I turn it on sometimes for the pizza man as well. Best part of my security plan are the Dogs.. I consider them as something I cannot do without.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Monitored alarm system
steel doors
doggie
strategic outdoor and indoor lighting
video door bell
safe room
firearms
more firearms
and yet a few more firearms :embarassed:

Reactions: G26Raven and Fizban

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Monitored alarm system
steel doors
doggie
strategic outdoor and indoor lighting
video door bell
safe room
firearms
more firearms
and yet a few more firearms :embarassed:
But do you have enough firearms? It doesn't sound like it to me...

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
But do you have enough firearms? It doesn't sound like it to me...
I know....I felt the same way today so I got a new Springfield 9MM today...just in case. :blink:

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
I don't want to add a note of levity to the discussion, but one of our home security systems was the little dog in my avatar. She was the perfect storm of noise at night and had radar-like senses. She always slept with us and was a part of the family. She was at my side for a great many years. We lost her just over a year ago. I envy you guys who have pups.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I don't want to add a note of levity to the discussion, but one of our home security systems was the little dog in my avatar. She was the perfect storm of noise at night and had radar-like senses. She always slept with us and was a part of the family. She was at my side for a great many years. We lost her just over a year ago. I envy you guys who have pups.
Sorry for your loss.....I have had the same traumatic event. But I got past it and got my buddy Cooper now.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pups are great. If my wife and I weren't out as much as we are, we would own one, too.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
I have a creek behind my house that has a lot of water moccassins and and occasional alligator. (2) active Sheriff's deputies live across the street and some extremely nosy retired neighbors on either side of me. We have a 25 lb Boston Terrier that fears nothing and only barks at strangers. We also live in a fairly safe area with excellent Police response. So far our "security system" seems to work very well!

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Monitored alarm, cameras, video doorbell, and Early Warning/Attack Cat.....

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I don't feed my alligators much, so they're always hungry.
My security cameras are set up by my next door neighbor. He's a IT and his second profession is installing high resolution cameras and knowing where to place them. I mow his yard and other up keep, and he has repaid me in kind.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ohh I must be doing good, I marked 10 out of the 12 choices! FYI my wife is my "other"- she shoots her M&P40 better than I do! :)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I don't have a gator or safe room, got the rest

1 - 20 of 44 Posts