Defensive Carry banner

Which is better?

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  BAC 
#1 ·
Ruger SR-556

Cal: .223 Rem./5.56x45 NATO
Action:Gas-operated, Semi-automatic center fire rifle
Reciever: Hard Coat anodized, forged aluminum lower.
Barrel: 16 1/4",Manganese-Phosphate-Coated Cold hammer forged 41V45 steel, chrome lined bore.
Rifling: Six groove, 1:9 RH twist
Sights: Troy Industries battlesights; picatinny rail for mounting scope/red-dot sights
Trigger pull: Single stage; 6lbs.;14ozs.
Stock: Six position adjustable
Overall length: 36" (extended) 32" (collapsed)
Weight: 7lbs., 15ozs.
Accessories: 3 30 rnd MagPul magazines.
MSRP: $1,995

SIG516 Patrol

Cal: .223 Rem./5.56x45 NATO
Action:Gas-piston operated, Semi-automatic center fire rifle
Reciever: 7075 Forged Aluminum upper and lower
Barrel: 16" Chrome lined
Rifling: Six groove, 1:7 RH twist
Sights: picatinny rail equipped
Trigger pull: Two-stage, 3 lbs
Stock: LM&T SOPMOD
Overall length: 36 3/4" (extended) 33 1/2" (collapsed)
Weight: 7lbs., 4ozs.
Accessories: 1 30 rnd magazine (showed a Magpul)
MSRP: $1,300

All of this information was pulled from American Rifleman. The Ruger seems way over priced in comparison to the SIG. In the magazine it showed the SIG equipped with Troy battlesights but they were not mentioned in the specs. It looks like a no brainer to me but what do you think?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd go with the Sig. That's just opinion based. Everything Ruger brings new to the market gets recalled. I think the SR-556 looks awesome but I'd wait a few years on it if it were me.

#4 ·
I'd take the Sig, not only for the reasons already stated, but I think I'd prefer the 1in 7 twist rate and the Sig trigger over the Ruger offering. I do like both manufacturers, but specifically for their classic products.

Do you think with all these manufacturers tooling up for their share of the black rifle market that they may be setting themselves up for a major stock loss when the trends change dramatically?

surv

#5 ·
Better for what?

-B

#9 ·
I don't get the piston bashing. It is just a way to make the AR more reliable. What is wrong with that?

#13 ·
Did you mean to reply to me when typing this? I asked which rifle was better for what. Without context "better" is pretty vague, no? I don't recall saying anything about pistons...

-B

#14 ·
Did you mean to reply to me when typing this? I asked which rifle was better for what. Without context "better" is pretty vague, no? I don't recall saying anything about pistons...

-B
I just assumed that you were not a fan of pistons from your reply. I have heard many people that don't like pistons and I really don't get it. I have not looked into the carrier tilt concern but I will be shortly. My apologies if I made the wrong assumption.

#7 ·
i take the Ruger , if it has problems Ruger Co will be glad enough to correct the problem at no cost . i like the new SR556 look its a sweet looking evil rifle and its gas piston which you wont have to clean as much.:boese51:

you can get the SR556 cheaper then 1995.00 i saw some for sale for 1495.00 NIB.

#12 ·
If you really need another opinion, I'd say SIG. I see the SigSauer engineers leaning more toward that style of rifle expertise, compared to Ruger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.