Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets take two full guns as a comparison. Lets make them nearly equal in barrel length.

Commander s/s 1911 [ 4.25" barrel that weighs 36 ounces unloaded ] vs Glock 17 [ 4.49" barrel that weighs 25 ounces unloaded ].

All things being equal, holster position and height, [ leather or plastic, it doesn't matter as long as both holsters are positioned the same ]--------

Which one will be faster to draw and clear the holster? And what do you base your answer on? Lets see how many have their thinking caps on today.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Good lord..this one is hard. I don't think I could give you any answer beyond "it's just me", but I would say Commander. I just find that the 1911 grip just seems to act like a magnet to my hand. I also think that the lack of finger grooves on my 1911s helps me just slightly.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
What weighs more.....a pound of Feathers or a pound of Steel...let's ask Bob Munden ?

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Just personal experience I would say the 1911. I don't have any with the Glock.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What weighs more.....a pound of Feathers or a pound of Steel...let's ask Bob Munden ?
But what's your thinking on which provides the faster draw between the two examples, and why?

·
Premium Member
36,723 Posts
My three-pound, five-inch barreled 3rd generation S&W draws noticeably slower than the Glock 17 did in its stock configuration. I think its probably a combination of inertia and weight + distance.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
My guess is the Glock because of the much lighter weight. But this is purely speculation on my part, as I have no experience with either of those guns.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
So I've seen different fellas draw and fire both models with lightning speed on occasion.........so what, they Train for it.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My three-pound, five-inch barreled 3rd generation S&W draws noticeably slower than the Glock 17 did in its stock configuration. I think its probably a combination of inertia and weight + distance.
Correct Mike, Newton's law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.reference.com/science/weight-affect-speed-594c9a349a6b25fb

Newton's first law of motion states that an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion, unless that object is acted upon by an unbalanced force. This force overcomes any resistive forces, such as friction, in order to cause acceleration. Acceleration causes an object to change its speed or its direction of motion.

Newton's second law states that a force is a product of an object's mass multiplied by an object's acceleration. Weight itself is a type of force in which the acceleration on the object is due to the effect of Earth's gravity. Since this acceleration is constant, the object's weight is directly related to the object's mass. An increase in an object's weight also increases resistive forces, such as friction, which makes it more difficult for an object to gain speed at rest and increases the tendency for the object to lose speed while in motion

The lighter gun will take less force applied to get it moving and will start moving quicker than a heavier object. Several of us figured this out in testing and discussed it on another board some 8-9 years ago. But today, we're attempting to enlighten members on this forum who may not understand the physics behind it..:35:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I've seen different fellas draw and fire both models with lightning speed on occasion.........so what, they Train for it.
All things being equal, holster position and height, [ leather or plastic, it doesn't matter as long as both holsters are positioned the same ]--------

This a comparison between weights with the same person drawing both, "all things being equal". Two different shooter with different guns doesn't fit the criteria.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Say's who...........training.

·
Premium Member
36,723 Posts
Well, get them over here!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
My mind is weird, but this reminded me of a story.

John Wesley Hardin practiced drawing his pistol every day until he was one of the fastest of his time. Ironically, he was caught on a train in Pensacola, FL when he attempted to draw and his pistol snagged in his clothing. That's your trivia fact for the day.

·
Registered
20,046 Posts
I had never really considered that aspect.

Although I did post a thread here some years ago, where I bought 1000 rounds for each gun, Colt and G17, and did testing to see which one was more accurate and quick to get hits with from the draw.

3 days and 2000 rounds later, I couldn't see any real difference, but my finger hurt like the dickens.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
You know, come to think of it I've never worked a draw stroke with a 1911. I know it sounds crazy but it's true.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Registered
20,046 Posts
My mind is weird, but this reminded me of a story.

John Wesley Hardin practiced drawing his pistol every day until he was one of the fastest of his time. Ironically, he was caught on a train in Pensacola, FL when he attempted to draw and his pistol snagged in his clothing. That's your trivia fact for the day.
I read that in his biography. Very interesting. The seamstress in the book that sewed his special holsters in to his vest seem to have been very infatuated with him too.

And then he died simply because he had never heard of the ooda loop and situational awareness:)

Reactions: Rhinoman

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Wouldn't aim be achieved just a shade faster with the 1911? Seems to me the GLOCK grip angle requires additional "angular" rotation to bring the barrel to level?

Reactions: Instymp and AzQkr

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seems I drew the Glock faster

View attachment 181202

It might just be in the details.

View attachment 181210

Sarcasm aside, the loaded weights are the only weights that matter all else is so very close that I think I boils down to weight over ergonomics as the lengths are also very close.
S/S commander loaded with 9 rds of 45 weighs an added 6.8 ounces for a total of 42.8 ounces.
Glock 17 loaded with 18 rds of 9mm weighs an added 7.36 ounces for a total of 32.36 ounces.

Taking this into consideration, the 1911 still weighs 12.4+ ounces more, or roughly 3/4 of a pound.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts