Defensive Carry banner

Which do you feel is more essential? Quality night sights or a weapon mounted flashlight?

• Night Sights

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • Weapon Mounted Flashlight

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I like night sights. I find that I pick up my sights much better in low-light--blame me old eyes.

I have a set of Heine Straight Eights on a carry pistol that are over 10 years old and fading out now. I have not committed to replacing them, but likely will.

I'm not a fan of weapon mounted lights. I bought a 1911 with a rail, intending to mount a light, for HD, but then changed my mind on that. I liked the pistol though, and it stuck around like a stray dog getting a regular feeding.

·
Premium Member
7,288 Posts
Although the OP will do what the OP wants to do - as is often the case, I will also add my comments that a weapon mounted light is big and awkward for me, as it seems to be for others. I have some guns with night sights and they are indeed, handy, for reaching out to your gun in the middle of the night. I can see some advantage in low light situations also, since the GlowOn Paint I use for my other guns that keeps them super bright all night long does not necessary work in low light situations if the gun has been holstered and not exposed to light for a long time.

In the night/low light classes we attended, only separate hand held lights were used. So, my vote would be "neither" if that was a choice - but night sights if the only choices are the two in the survey.

Our individual needs vary depending on our own situations. Those of us who are older and have no children in the house and don't go out at night will have different perceived needs.

Reactions: ugh762x39

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
If I voted, it would be a WML. I assume you are referring to using one/other/both on a pistol. I ALWAYS have a hand held light, BUT do have "tritium night sights" on my M1a, as it came that way. I have a WML on my "home defense PDW". I WANT the option of having it when needed. I DO keep numerous "high quality light's, both around the house, & "ALWAYS" on my person. My main carry light has a rt. angle head, which I find best for use with a pistol. My feelings are, IF you are going to fire your weapon, you BETTER have "POSITIVE TARGET CONFORMATION". MY feelings are that "illuminated sight's alone", will not provide that. OF COURSE, all here have said they carry a "hand held flashlight" (myself included), but if the need should arise, I like the "added option of a WML". I can deal with the added weight, and the "other benefit of a small modicum of recoil reduction" it provides.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I voted night sights and have them on all my carry pistols. I also use a handheld light in conjunction with my night sights. Works for me.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Night sights I think are good only as they are nicer then stock sights and pick up quicker ..

Never got into WML even laser just too much bulk for a EDC holster wise ..I have some guns with WML but not many just too much bulk

Laser the compact or full size gun not really seeing a need ..But for a mircor or tiny gun with crap sights they could be handy ..

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I would go with a white light, either HH or mounted before nightsights.

IMHO TGT ID is paramount, and either a WML or a HH used with any of the modern techniques; Harries, Roger's SureFire, Graham, (which BTW mimic a WML); silhouette the sights on the TGT negating the need for NS.

My HD guns all wear WMLs, my CCW pistol is always accompanied by a HH light. My CCW pistols also wear Trijicon HDs, but since the OP specified either, I went with it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I’ve started using Yellow for the rear and, Green for the front post. For short ranges found in home defense, Green front post on target means I’m good to go. Flashlight just advertises my position and, I can navigate my house in the dark. Let the idiot intruder advertise his position! :)

·
Registered
34,765 Posts
I'll throw in my 2-cents worth and then deal out. I voted for WML because my son gave me a Surefire light for my Glock 30. It sits on a bowl on my night stand--unattached. It makes for a great flashlight.

I painted dayglow-orange paint on the front sights of my G30, and it stands out well in any amount of light in which I can still see a target. Any less light and I'd be aiming at something I cannot see. Nights sights would not enhance what the dayglow-orange paint provides.

If you like night sights, use them. If you prefer a weapon-mounted light , use one. I don't see an advantage of night sights over a WML, but go with what makes you feel most comfortable. I'm sticking with my unattached Surefire that I can point anywhere I wish, with or without my G30.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Depends. On my carry gun I have night sights, and a handheld light that I keep in my truck. At home, I have a weapon mounted Iight, as well as a handheld light.

didn’t answer the poll because it’s not an either/or question to me. Night sights are to help you see the sights. Lights are to help you identify the target.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
A good flashlight weak hand is preferred over either of the other options. Old school, I prefer the Maglite though I do use an LED model these days.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
272 Posts
A good flashlight weak hand is preferred over either of the other options. Old school, I prefer the Maglite though I do use an LED model these days.
Like a 1950s cop movie? You’re saying that one handed shooting while trying to keep a flashlight steady and synced up weak hand is the way to go? In a real gunfight? With multiple attackers ? With civilians in the mix? At greater than 21 feet? In the dark? In real life, not in your imagination?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I haven't read the other replies yet, but here's my opinion.

I'd personally rather have night sights, the ones that always glow. I have a set of Trijicon ones on my favorite piece and have never been sorry about getting them.

I've considered getting a weapon light for the rail, but weight and bulk, along with holster issues have kept me from doing so.

So for me, it's night sights.

Cheers

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've used a light on my firearm for years. First at work as a LEO and now on my EDC and nightstand weapon. Either Surefire or Olight. I've mentioned this before and a few try to criticize me for it but it makes no difference to me. When we went with these lights at work I created a training regiment for it and this light was just a natural function of the weapon for us. You do not give yourself away to the bad guy and the tactical advantage of blinding a bad guy with a 400-600 Lumens light can be lifesaving. Night sights were fine for target shooting in low light but I don't feel I have any real need for them.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I've used a light on my firearm for years. First at work as a LEO and now on my EDC and nightstand weapon. Either Surefire or Olight. I've mentioned this before and a few try to criticize me for it but it makes no difference to me. When we went with these lights at work I created a training regiment for it and this light was just a natural function of the weapon for us. You do not give yourself away to the bad guy and the tactical advantage of blinding a bad guy with a 400-600 Lumens light can be lifesaving. Night sights were fine for target shooting in low light but I don't feel I have any real need for them.
Agree 100%, it is a training/practice issue. When ever these sort of threads pop up I hold my tongue, but always want to ask the WML naysayers; "low much LL training have you had?"

I suspect the answers would be little to none, with the majority being none. The objections are normally the same:

Muzzle sweeping someone
Bad guys will shoot at the light.

Both of which are mitigated with training and practice. Anybody that's had some training knows how much spill there is from a WML and how well it lights up a room at the ready position. They also know NOT to use the light for navigation, so it's not constantly on.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, most of the modern HH light techniques mimic a mounted light by placing the light parallel to the bore (Roger's, Harries, Graham). So for those techniques at least might as well use a WML. Another 2 techniques, place the light at your neck or cheek (Neck and Cheek index).

I've taken several LL classes, both handgun and long-gun, it's some of the best training I've taken, well worth the time & money spent, especially since such a large amount of bad chit happens after sunset.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Like a 1950s cop movie? You’re saying that one handed shooting while trying to keep a flashlight steady and synced up weak hand is the way to go? In a real gunfight? With multiple attackers ? With civilians in the mix? At greater than 21 feet? In the dark? In real life, not in your imagination?
I‘m not a tacticool mall ninja. The words were pretty clear. Weak hand flashlight hold. You assumed I meant holding a firearm one-handed. I did not. You added a whole bunch of super ninja fighter thoughts that were not in the ops post.

Old guys know a thing or two. That’s how we got to be old.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts