Defensive Carry banner

Which JHPs do you carry with your Glock 43?

• Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) such as loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

• Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)

• Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)

• Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)

• Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Speer Gold Dor 124gr JHP

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)

• Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)

• Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)

• Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Federal HST 124gr JHP +P (P9HST3)

Votes: 9 20.5%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking to see which, if any of the following, brand/weight combination do you carry with your G43? If you carry something else, feel free to list it here.

·
Registered
20,077 Posts
I don't have a 43, but I can't see why the choice would vary from that carried in any other handgun chambered for the same caliber.
I have aG26 that is carried with Hornady XTP's.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Federal HST 124g standard pressure. No need for +P in a short barrel because the round isn't in the barrel long enough for the pressure to build and increase velocity. The increased recoil and loudness isn't worth it. The 147!is also great but penetrates the same as the 124 with less expansion. My second choice would be Gold Dot 124.vcheck out these testing results. The 9mm used was a 3.5" barrel.
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

·
Registered
292 Posts
Federal HST 124g standard pressure. No need for +P in a short barrel because the round isn't in the barrel long enough for the pressure to build and increase velocity. The increased recoil and loudness isn't worth it. The 147!is also great but penetrates the same as the 124 with less expansion. My second choice would be Gold Dot 124.vcheck out these testing results. The 9mm used was a 3.5" barrel.
This me... well in a Shield 9 but the barrel length is just spitting distance different so should be mostly same same.

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a 43, but I can't see why the choice would vary from that carried in any other handgun chambered for the same caliber.
I have aG26 that is carried with Hornady XTP's.
Because not all ammo feeds well through all magazines and pistols. Case in point, I have a G19 and bought a case of Fiochi round nose. It would fail to feed through my G19about every third round and the same through my wife's G17. Yet it fed perfectly through my Sig P938.

·
Registered
20,077 Posts
Because not all ammo feeds well through all magazines and pistols. Case in point, I have a G19 and bought a case of Fiochi round nose. It would fail to feed through my G19about every third round and the same through my wife's G17. Yet it fed perfectly through my Sig P938.
Hmmm, I see.
That would be something I am unfamiliar with, because I have never had a Glock in almost 30 years that wouldn't feed anything I put thru them.

·
Registered
20,077 Posts
Hmmm, I see. That would be something I am unfamiliar with, because I have never had a Glock in almost 30 years that wouldn't feed anything I put thru them.

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, I see. That would be something I am unfamiliar with, because I have never had a Glock in almost 30 years that wouldn't feed anything I put thru them.
It had never happened to me before either. And I had shot Fiochi, Magtech, Winchester, Remington, Blazer Brass, Blazer aluminum, as well as my own hand loads.

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
I use Gold Dot 124 +p because I have a quantity of it. I use it in my G-26, Shield, and G-19 don't see where it would make any difference if it was in a G-43. Like Glockman I have never really found any ammo that wouldn't go bang in any of my Glocks! Any major quality brand bonded ammo in the 124-147 gr range should work well in your Glock!

·
Banned
747 Posts
No need for +P in a short barrel because the round isn't in the barrel long enough for the pressure to build and increase velocity. [/url]
Thats incorrect. Many loads will not expand or will have limited expansion with non-plus P round. The plus P variant will give you 30-70 fps more, which will ensure the hollow point acts as designed, and opens.

Speer Gold dot 124+P is my to go round, and will continue to be so for years to come. Its a little more snappy than the regular stuff, but the increased oomph helps with ejection and reliable function I have found.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thats incorrect. Many loads will not expand or will have limited expansion with non-plus P round. The plus P variant will give you 30-70 fps more, which will ensure the hollow point acts as designed, and opens.

Speer Gold dot 124+P is my to go round, and will continue to be so for years to come. Its a little more snappy than the regular stuff, but the increased oomph helps with ejection and reliable function I have found.
According to Luckygunner's results the standard pressure HST and Gold Dots expand very well out of a 3.5" barrel. The standard pressure 124 GD expanded more than the 124+P GD. Current technology ammo designs each variant differently to maximize expansion in the particular weight and pressure. The standard pressure is not the same round as +P just slower. It's design is actually optimized for each variant.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts