Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I don't practice hand to hand combat

Votes: 33 45.2%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recent thoughts about what to do if disarmed by an attacker and/or being attacked in an area that prohibits firearms has lead me to start taking Brazilian jiu-jitsu lessons. I plan to also take kickboxing or krav maga lessons down the road. What martial art(s) do you practice for personal defense?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I started training BJJ in April, I'm hooked! Already I can say that the thought of an unarmed encounter and/or being taken to the ground by an assailant is less intimidating than before. Im happy to start putting things in my self defense toolkit that was over-reliant on my firearm. So much more to learn!

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Personally, I think sub-grappling and BJJ are the best MA to pair with use of firearms combatively. I'd urge everyone to get a look at Marc Denny's 'Die Less Often' video series which he does with Gabe Suarez a firearms expert. There is a need to know how fight with your firearm that target practice alone will not cover.

In addition to target practice, one should attempt to get some exposure to a performance-related aspect such as simmunition training and/or paintball gaming to give you an 'external' aspect to your experience. Target practice is internal (about the gun). Simmunition is external (opponent-related).

Just remember that all training has a degradation effect, and you can't practice all ranges and skills all the times. You get a 'ring rust' phenomenon.

So rather than trying to learn kickboxing or KM, which would further dilute your focus, I would concentrate on the aspects closely related with the firearm.

I believe that -if- you have to H2H you have already failed to resolve the situation, you enter a 'no-man's-land' of high chaos. Back in the day we all thought that you could get high skill and high-attributes and use empty hand against anything with sure success, but now we know you can not. So while you must learn how to 'fight' with your firearm, you must face reality.

The exception would, of course be military or LE, where you must insert yourself into a situation.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Krav Maga, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and Hapkido at various points. Most consistent with Krav Maga long term.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I practice Muay Thai, boxing, and eskrima. Of the three I like eskrima for self defense. Most people don't know how to defend against a stick or knife.

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
Kenpo/Kenjitsu, for many years. I am no longer active in the practice.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've started bjj as well back in May. I enjoy it but at 52 it's been tough on the old bones, but it's been a good learning experience and highly recommend it. Been thinking hard about adding Muay Thai because there is a good gym close buy and want to incorporate more of the striking arts.

Any parents with little kids who want to put them in a martial art, I'd have them do bjj in a heartbeat. Had both my boys become black belts in TKD by the time they where 9 yrs old. Today their 16 &17 and they couldn't do one "form" or apply anything they learned. Total waste of time and money. BJJ is someone they can apply and won't forget. Even if they did it for just 6 mos the'd come away with skills to defend themselves very well.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
I wrestled and Boxed in school, and follow the teachings of Klic-Pao since then. I have been taking my Grand daughter to a Kempo class and may take up their adult classes. They teach the use of the stick as an extension of my hand. That should translate well to using a cane. DR

·
Registered
14,270 Posts
Started being a scrapper, later learned Tae Kwon Do. Wrestled in school, What I learned as an Army MP, cop and 25 years of my career as a street cop. Not too worried about H2H with most people.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts