Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks. I’m in the market for a red dot sight for my AR. I’ve been looking at the various red dot sights for sale online and I’m between a Eclan or a Leupold, not sure which model as yet. What experience have others had of these two particular manufacturers? Pros and cons? Price isn’t really an issue for me as I have enough set by to afford whatever I choose on. But I always like to hear the recommendations of others first. Any opinions or pointers would be much appreciated.

sight1.jpeg sight2.jpeg

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Both of your choices are top notch, I'd also take a look at the Trijicon MRO which has gotten very good reviews.

Any reason why you're not looking at an Aimpoint? It's kind of the gold standard in RDS.

Chuck

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Aimpoint PRO. Small dot, many brightness settings, 3 year battery life if left on constantly, battle tested tough.
+1 :smile:

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Everything I've read says the Aimpoint Pro is a great battle scope, and the exceptional battery life is a great feature. On my budget the Vortex Spark 2 is more than adequate for the range and even in SHTF my longevity in a firefight would probably be limited by factors other than my red dot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Aimpoint PRO. Small dot, many brightness settings, 3 year battery life if left on constantly, battle tested tough.
+1 Look up some reviews on the Aimpoint PRO. They are a very trusted brand. For me, I wouldn't buy a red dot not made by either Aimpoint or Eotech. But the constant-on is completely necessary on a defensive rifle.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have been trying to decide which red dot for my AR. From all I have read and so many favorable reviews I am choosing the Vortex Sparc II.

Reactions: revldm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pointers folks. Some excellent suggestions there which I'll take a look at. It seems the Vortex is very popular so I'll definitely give that some serious consideration.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If money isn't an option then you should be looking at aimpoint. The PRO or h-2/t-2 models are the gold standard for their categories. The only reason to not get one is just to be different. There's really no comparing vortex and aimpoint if price isn't a concern.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
For nothing but accuracy and range duty the Vortex are fine pieces of optic. I have owned them.

For a defensive rifle, that needs to be ready at a seconds notice, I prefer something that I feel certain is going to perform as it should. That is why I chose the Aimpoint, even over the Eotech, as my research showed more Eotech failures than that from the Aimpoint.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
The Aimpoint PRO is expensive compared to the entry level RDS but it's well worth the money! Especially on a defensive firearm.

Reactions: CWOUSCG

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I also have the Vortex Sparc II and I love it. Best red dot sight I have ever used.
Slightly off topic, but I have a Vortex Venom on a pistol and have been very surprised at the quality of the build and optics, as well as the durability (I've used it to rack the pistol off of my belt, leg and shoes many times). I bought it because it was inexpensive and expected to replace it after a few months, but after 8-9 months I'm planning on keeping it. I have an EOTech on my AR and really like it, but it does go through batteries quicker than I would prefer (even when it sits unused for several months).

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
I am not aware of anything that has the battery life of the Aimpoint. Leave it on for 3 years and it still goes.

I like that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am not aware of anything that has the battery life of the Aimpoint. Leave it on for 3 years and it still goes.

I like that.
I went with the Primary Arms MD-ADS, partly for the 50,000 hour battery life. That is nearly six years.

It is not an Aimpoint, but is as close as you can come for the price.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Red dots are simple. Buying a red dot is even more simple. If you can afford it, either Aimpoint or Trijicon...they are the gold standard, and everyone else is a "me too".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts