Defensive Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started reloading, I'm in need of an electronic scale for weighing powder charges, I would like to hear everyone's experiences with different types of electronic scales.
Thanks!

·
Registered
36,326 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I use the Lyman 1000. Supposed to be accurate + or - to .1 grain. Havent had any issues with it yet and had it now going on 4 years.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I`ve been using a cheapo MTM digital scale for about 3 years,works fine BUT I still swing every tenth load on the beam. Safe Not Sorry.

·
Registered
45,374 Posts
Gotta be electronic? My 30-year-old RCBS 505 beamer has been 100% reliable. I've never had to wait for it to arm up or change the batteries.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Scales?? Take your choice.
I have 1 Lyman beam scale, 1 Dillon beam scale, a Dillon electric scale and a RCBS Chargemaster. The chargemaster gets the most use.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I like my Hornady GS-1500.

Cheap and reliable to date. You still want to have a quality balance to verify the calibration of your digital from time to time.

Also make sure you educate your self as to the quirks of precision digital scales. They are very susceptible to outside influence such as air flow, vibration and temperature. In reality, any precision measuring devise is but the digital scales can be a bit more finicky than a high end triple beam or other quality analog equipment. Check out any good lab. Their scales are all mounted on extremely heavy, stable stone bases and enclosed in glass or plastic housings to eliminate ambient air and vibrational influences.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I've used inexpensive and expensive and, hands down, the best I've used is the Dillon D-terminator (on the expensive end). Reliable, accurate, runs AC/DC and easy to calibrate. You might skimp on some reloading equipment, but be very careful when it comes to scales; inaccurate powder weights can mean big trouble. When you are weighing powder charges, you should be absolutely confident in the scale (balance or electronic) you are using.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a Frankford Aresenal battery powered scale that I'm about to take a hammer to. It worked great for about a year, then it would be 50/50 if I could get it to even turn on, even with completely fresh batteries. Been using a beam scale lately, but am planning on getting a Lyman digital scale soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts