Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting either a TacStar side saddle or buttstock carrier and am leaning towards a good buttstock carrier. Who makes the best buttstock carrier that doesn't move around too much? I'll be using it with a standard, non pistol grip 870P stock.

Thanks. :hand10:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I used to have one of those Bagmaster spandex butt stock sleeves on my former Mossberg 20ga. I had loosened the recoil pad and tucked the edge of it underneath and re-tightened the recoil pad over it to get it stable. I have a Side Saddle shell carrier on my 870 and it's a way better option IMO. I got the short version holds four spares.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ram Rod,

The side saddle setup is definitely my more stable route to go. I was also wondering which one would get in the way the least. I want to have some extra ammo with me but without hindering my movement that much if any at all. I guess my next option would be an ammo carrier belt/sling that could easily be put on if needed. That would definitely give me more ammo. Hope I never need that much.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I'd go with the hard saddle, that's the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I just keep the spandex band with 5 shells on the stock of my coach gun...works for me.:yup:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I used to have one of those Bagmaster spandex butt stock sleeves on my former Mossberg 20ga. I had loosened the recoil pad and tucked the edge of it underneath and re-tightened the recoil pad over it to get it stable. I have a Side Saddle shell carrier on my 870 and it's a way better option IMO. I got the short version holds four spares.
I had basically this same experience. Started with the neoprene buttstock carrier and it ripped after a few months. Installed a 4-round TacStar sidesaddle and would never go back. I like the 4-round over the 6-round because it's a bit less obtrusive and doesn't throw the weight off balance quite as much. Can't beat the price either!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I use one of these on my M1S90:

I've used it in a couple classes and it's worked well so far. My Benelli also doubles as my muskrat/beaver control gun and I've yet to loose a shell out of it shooting at night around my 9 acre pond. It doesn't shift position like the elastic cuffs, and you can remove it in about a minute.

I'm not a fan of sidesaddles as they add width to the receiver.

Shotgun Buttstock Shell Holders

Chuck

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would recomend a 'side saddle" = more stable & less obstruction, IMHO

I would not recommend a "sling or belt" except in the field. (if the ammo is on the gun, it is there, but if not ???????:aargh4:

Puffer

·
Registered
182 Posts
I recomend the side saddle. IMO the buttstock carriers leave the gun too butt heavy and the SS keeps the added weight between your hands. Plus if you have to transition to weak side the shells are still out of the way.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have both on my HD 870P and I would reccommend the side saddle carrier before the buttstock carrier. To me it is much quicker to reload from (with practice I might add), than from the buttstock. A solid buttstock carrier might be better, but I have the elastic buttstock carrier and it is nowhere close to as stable as the solid TacStar side saddle carrier.

·
Super Moderator
18,108 Posts
Another vote for the sidesaddle. One of my duty shotguns is a Mossy Riot Gun with the 6 shell Sidesaddle.

I've tried the butt stock holders but they stay in the way, getting knocked around alot when getting in and out of a car or from the trunk. I have knocked shells out of them over the years. I went to the Sidesaddle and I like it better.

Another advantage is that you can use your off hand to extract shells from it while maintaining a fair grip on the shotgun with it pointed down range. Its more ergonomic than using a buttstock holder where you just about have to adjust your hold and avert your gaze. It just seems a lot easier when the shells are up front rather than on the stock.

Another plus is that you can see what you are thumbing in there. I carry buckshot in the gun and slugs on the SideSaddle. Its quick and easy.
I've thought about carrying a few "Dragons Breath" but have yet to do it.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I've thought about carrying a few "Dragons Breath" but have yet to do it.
That would be simply awesome. Shock and Awe....

Just make sure you have somebody else backing you up.:rofl:

·
Super Moderator
18,108 Posts
That would be simply awesome. Shock and Awe....

Just make sure you have somebody else backing you up.

I might get away with it when I am working for the Sheriff out in the county.

I dont think the Marshal that I work for would like it in city limits.:scruntiny:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input everybody,

The six shot TacStar side saddle sounds lke the way to go. I'm going to mix up the ammo some too.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Also keep in mind if you're forend overlaps the reciever you will have to modify it for a 6 shot SS. and "Brass to the grass"= brass IN the grass, keep the shells brass up.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Side saddle is more sturdy and jusy plain looks cooler. LOL

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
I have one of the elastic butt cuffs for 6 shells. Since I also use my shotgun for trap and skeet, it is easily removed.

My shotgun serves as a last line of static defense in my safe room, so the elastic cuff is plenty stable enough for my needs. I'm not chasing anyone around with my shotgun - they can come to me.

For movement inside the home (getting the kids into the safe room) I prefer a handgun - easier to move with, and leaves a free hand for the kids, lights, door knobs, and phone.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I totally dig the 3GunGear side saddles-they are heavy duty collapsable nylon(and removeable via industrial velcro); I have them on my FN SLP and my 870 and they work very well. The base is strong adhesive backed velcro, and the upper contains the other velcro and the shell holders.

I also really like thier "slidelock two pack" which is of similar materials and mounts beside the ejection port horizontally for two quick slidelock ejection port reloads.

Via Dillons:http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/8/stype/?searchVar=3gun+gear

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I have a 6 round TacStar side saddle on my Mossberg 500 along with a Speed Feed butstock that holds 4 rounds.
I keep 5 rounds of 00 in the tube, 5 00 + 1 slug in the side saddle, & 4 slugs in the Speed Feed stock. This arrangement keeps the confusion to a minimum if I have to do a quick reload under stress.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts