Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a set of whetstones to sharpen my knives, but truthfully I've never done it and don't know exactly what I need or how to do it.

I know I need 3 whetstones (generally only 2) a coarse stone, medium stone and fine stone. I also know I need a leather strop. But I don't know the grits I need for each or which brands are better quality or even the type of stone (Arkansas or India). I want to do it the old fashioned way, with a stone(s), some water/oil, and your knife. I'm willing to spend a little, around the ball park of 40-60 per stone.

Also, are there any educational materials that are a must have for learning to sharpen? Books, dvd's or anything of the like?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I have some really old Arkansas stones. Made by Smith. I have been happy with them, so I never tried another brand. My stones are 35 years old.

·
Super Moderator
17,724 Posts
My personal favorites are the ceramic stones, white medium grit and black fine grit. They give a great edge with no water or oil, when they get loaded up just use an abrasive cleaner such as Comet to clean them and they are good as new. The two I have were made by Colorado Ceramic 20+ years ago still have the $14.95 price tags on the boxes, cost a bit more now.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Take a look at the Apex @ edgeproinc.com. It's not cheap, but people swear buy them. It's on my list when I get some extra cash. I have a Lansky, it is good but takes a long time to get a knife sharp.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Avoid all the confusion. Get a Spyderco Sharp Maker kit #204, I believe. Comes with a great training DVD and you can go online and get one for $50. Absolutely superb

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just bought a stone set. I've tried for hours to get a good edge out of my Endura 4 with no luck. I've followed many sets instructions... Maybe its the v10 steel....

Go with the sharpmaker from spyderco, havnt heard a bad thing about it. You really cant go wrong with spyderco.

Edit: I should have just looked at the spyderco website sooner. Complimentry knife sharpening!

·
Administrator
144,030 Posts
I use the Lansky Diamond set at home to rebuild or remake an edge.

Suggestion:
If you just want to put a really good, fast, and foolproof edge on a knife out in the field then buy one of these Carbide sharpeners. They are great and will give you an edge that shaves hair.

Search Ebay for Redi-Edge. Redi-Edge makes them for BenchMade and other knife companies so you might wish to vary your search to shop for the lowest price.
Use a very light touch. You honestly can't screw up with a Redi-Edge.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
A good Norton 2 sided(coarse/fine) Crystolon pre-oiled stone has always worked wonders for me for 20+ years. They still sell them. I just finally broke down and bought a new one a few months back.

They work great on really hard tool steels, but the coarse side may cut too much from a soft steel. I usually just use the fine side on softer blades and then leather strop them to finish them up.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have had a lansky and that worked fairly well for many years.

Then I switched to a GATCO sharpener, which is exactly like a Lansky but the stones are wider.

I worked my knives for hours to get a perfect edge. Every knife in my household is RAZOR sharp. I can't tell you how many times I gave myself a severe laceration using these stones

But using a GATCO or Lansky is very time consuming. So I decided to get an electric sharpener and after extensive search I came up with this:

Diamond Hone Electric Sharpeners

This sharpener will put a stunningly sharp edge on any knife in short order and it DOES NOT heat the blade at all. i can sharpen every knife in my house in about 30 minutes

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Avoid all the confusion. Get a Spyderco Sharp Maker kit #204, I believe. Comes with a great training DVD and you can go online and get one for $50. Absolutely superb
+1 I also have this one and it gives you 2 angles. One puts a 15 degree edge and the other 20 degree edge.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have one of these Lansky sharpening system sets and really like it, works great.
+1

I am a knife freak, around 100 as we speak, and you cannot get a better, inexpensive sharpening system!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have alwys been happy with a little 4" Arkansas stone. It is easilt portable and works well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just got an old stone, Retangular in shape, chipped around the edges and givin to me by my dad by his dad, I have NO idea what brand it is, or even if it's good. it's been used to sharpen everything around our house from knives to lawnmower blades, but puts and edge on them like you wouldn't belive with just a little water, or a good drop of spit if nones at hand. and as for sharpening techniques, I just use the sliding hand motions taught to me by my dad.

I'd proably be amazed at how good some of them fancy stones work, but for now my old "rock" and a little elbow grease works fine, lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use a Norton Arkansas med/fine stone I've had for 50 years or so. I finish up with DMT diamond hones, fine and x-fine. Works for every blade in the house

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm looking to get a set of whetstones to sharpen my knives, but truthfully I've never done it and don't know exactly what I need or how to do it.

I know I need 3 whetstones (generally only 2) a coarse stone, medium stone and fine stone. I also know I need a leather strop. But I don't know the grits I need for each or which brands are better quality or even the type of stone (Arkansas or India). I want to do it the old fashioned way, with a stone(s), some water/oil, and your knife. I'm willing to spend a little, around the ball park of 40-60 per stone.

Also, are there any educational materials that are a must have for learning to sharpen? Books, dvd's or anything of the like?

Thanks for the help.

all the fore mentioned kits,stones ect.,
are good systems .you say,
that ya wanna do the "OLD FASION WAY' ?
in wally's sporttgood.grab one of the sets with,
two stones,oil,an angle guide.
DON'T PUT OIL ON STONES .
use the oil for the knife points.
clean stones with abrasive.like somebody
has mentioned. carefull,ya may get so good,
every body from six counties,brings sharpening work to you.

what ever method you choose.
take your time while sharpening.

·
Registered
236 Posts
wear the stones out, not the blade

Smith and Russel harvest natural stones in Arkansas.

Norton and other companies make stones in factories.

Sprderco and other make ceramic stones/hones in factories.

Good knife steel is HARD and takes effort to set the edge the first time or if it has been damaged. Keeping it sharp is easy as long as you actually work on the edge at the same and correct angle.

Tools like Lansky hold the knife in a jig so all you must do is put enough pressure on the edge.

Whole books have been written on sharpening, a lot of free catalogs have the high points.

A. G. Russell Knives: The Knife Authority Since 1964 - Your Source for Knives and Knife Accessories
Norton Professional Sharpening Solutions

And don't forget diamonds.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have one of these Lansky sharpening system sets and really like it, works great.
Yep lansky diamond hone system will get them hair shaving sharp every time. I have been using lansky since around '94 or so. Nothing better

1 - 20 of 22 Posts