Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use two 9mm pistols for concealed belt carry. I also belt carry revolvers and I pocket carry a couple of pistols but they don't count for this discussion. The two are my Smith Shield purchased almost a year ago and my Kahr K9 purchased in 1996. I really like the Smith. I'm learning to shoot it pretty well and it conceals much better than the Kahr due primarily to it's slimmer grip. The Kahr also shoots pretty well but feels much better to my hand. The Kahr is noticeably heavier due to it's all steel frame, but the weight makes the pistol more stable for follow up shots. It also has a four finger grip as opposed to the Smith's three fingers (7 shot magazine).

I think I shoot a little better with the Kahr. I also like it's ghost ring rear sight a little better than the open sights on the Smith. Today, however, I carried the Smith when I went out in the 95+ degree weather wearing a thin shirt. Why; better concealment and lower weight. Even in cool weather, I sometimes select the Smith due to the considerable weight difference.

My question to you is, which would you choose the majority of the time? I didn't mention that both pistols have essentially the same type of holster/belt.

Thanks in advance for responding.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Both are great looking rigs. I especially like the spare mag carrier. I'd go with the Smith due to your comfort level (actually I''d go with one of my Glocks but...:danceban:). Comfort = wearing it more often. If you shoot it enough you'll be just as good with it as you are with any other gun. Just a matter of training and practice.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I like the all metal Kahr pistols and i currently own and carry a shield which i also like.
If supporting the redundancy of two small 9mm pistols is not an issue i would enjoy and carry both.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'd carry both as you feel comfortable. If your clothes are better for concealing one day and you don't mind the weight, carry the Kahr. If not, carry the Shield. Keeps it interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Interesting sights on the Kahr ... how do you like them? I sometimes pocket carry a PM9 and my night stand gun is a M&P 9c with laser grips. If I curl my little finger under the mag when shooting I do a little better accuracy wise. Beautiful knives. As a side note a lot of states (my original home state CA) consider double edge knives illegal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting sights on the Kahr ... how do you like them? I sometimes pocket carry a PM9 and my night stand gun is a M&P 9c with laser grips. If I curl my little finger under the mag when shooting I do a little better accuracy wise. Beautiful knives. As a side note a lot of states (my original home state CA) consider double edge knives illegal.
The ghost ring sight on the Kahr works well for me. My left eye was dominant until i suffered a puncture wound about 25 years ago. I had no trouble switching my long guns to right hand use but hand guns are a different story. I'm still working on sighting with my right eye while holding left handed. I'm pretty good at it but with the ghost ring I can find the target pretty well with my left eye.

Double edge knives are legal in Georgia with a cc permit. Knives are Randall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts