Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The window states that due to an Android security breach I will need to download software or my phone will be locked in 1 day.

I am using an I Phone, this is only happening while on this site.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Do you run any security software on your phone? If so, do a quick check. I think what is happening though is that it's a malicious ad. Pretty easy to block on a computer, but these dang phones don't support half the ad blocking options out there or you have to go out of your way to deal with them. I'd suggest running Firefox on there with NoScript if you already aren't (I believe NoScript works on phones/tablets still). Chrome used to be pretty good about blocking pop-ups like this but, over the last year or so, even with solid ad blocking extensions in use, Chrome is letting pop-ups through with no resistance whatsoever. That said, here on Windows 10 with Chrome and UBlock Origin enabled, I'm not seeing any pop-ups at all on DC. That's why I suggest you make a quick check with your security software, just in case something got through.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have been having a similar issue sporadically on my iPhone and iPad. Pop up ads that try and take me to the App Store. Not so much when I am connected to wifi though.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been having a similar issue sporadically on my iPhone and iPad. Pop up ads that try and take me to the App Store. Not so much when I am connected to wifi though.
I had that issue also, and documented it in this section. This is not the App Store, it is something else.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had that issue also, and documented it in this section. This is not the App Store, it is something else.
Gotcha. I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,462 Posts
I had this happen on my computer about the same time frame. I never let it load to see what it was, but I got redirected to something.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It happens most frequently in the thread about the Marine who was charged in NJ with firearms violations.

Anytime I open the thread I start getting those popups.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
It happens most frequently in the thread about the Marine who was charged in NJ with firearms violations.

Anytime I open the thread I start getting those popups.
Wow, that's weird, same thing was happening to me.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forum is pretty much unusable for me now. Pop up that links to either the App Store or the aforementioned security download kills me being able to read or post. I guess I'm out until there is a fix or resolution by the owners.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I'm not getting pop ups, but I know something is running in the background.
I get a lot of this.
DC.jpg

I've also started having to click the back button four times in order to return to the previous page. That has me thinking that I am closing out three things that are running in the background before being allowed to leave the page. Not every page, but at least half the time.

Firefox on a PC.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I'm not getting pop ups, but I know something is running in the background.
I get a lot of this.
View attachment 184562

I've also started having to click the back button four times in order to return to the previous page. That has me thinking that I am closing out three things that are running in the background before being allowed to leave the page. Not every page, but at least half the time.

Firefox on a PC.
Just lately, it's been that way on my laptop, clicking back button several times before it takes me where I want to go.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Just lately, it's been that way on my laptop, clicking back button several times before it takes me where I want to go.
Yeah, just lately.
I'm trying to pick up a pattern. I think it starts acting up the longer you are logged on. If you just do a quick click on, read a few threads and leave it seems to work normally. Also, like I had to do when I just got that page running in background message, I had to leave the forum. I could not get off that page. Now it's working fine since I just came back on. I do see some ads trying to load in the lower left corner of my screen though.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
The site does seem to be trying to load something but I'm not exactly sure what. In Firefox I'm getting requests from droidnetwork.net and the other normal cdn requests. I get a couple of script requests from crwdcntrl.net which I'm not familiar with and amazon-adsystem which I am. Perhaps the legit ad network for the site has unknowingly slipped in a rotten ad company.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You've been hacked by the NSA because you're on a list of seditious people. At some point, they'll come for you and you'll just disappear. Sorry, dude. :aargh4:
Well, they have tried that twice already, I've been collecting their sick and vacation pay. :)

·
Administrator
Community Manager
1,627 Posts
I am sending in a report on this so that we can get it blocked.

Is it just happening to iPhone users or is it happening for those of you using Android phones as well?

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Administrator
Community Manager
1,627 Posts
Also, is it only happening while browsing the full site from a phone?

If anyone happens to get a screenshot, please post it.

Reactions: Rock and Glock
1 - 20 of 57 Posts