Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my whitehat holster monday or tuesday morning and have worn it since. I got the horsehide in black color. Its for my glock 27. For anyone wondering, it took about 3 weeks from time of order to receive it. Anyways, I am wondering if there are others that have experienced comfort issues like me that are about my size. Im 5'10 175-180 avg size guy. Ive tried several different positions, cants, adjusted the ride height, etc and just cant get it comfortable enough for my liking. It digs into me and drives me insane to the point I cannot wait to take the thing off. Also, the black dye wore off where my gun rests the first day I had it. Im sure that is to be expected at some point, but the first day was kind of disappointing to say the least. I realize every person is different and opinions will vary greatly, but Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this that is about my size and found a more comfortable option for IWB. That may help me out and save me some money on a different holster. I will say I was impressed by the workmanship when I first set eyes on it, and Im not implying this is not a good quality holster because it is, Im just saying it is not comfortable to "me" at all so far. I can look past the black dye wearing off if the thing would feel somewhat comfortable. Should I just give it more time? Sure doesnt seem like its gona get much better comfort wise to me. Im starting the eyeball the N82.

·
Premium Member
39,179 Posts
I can't comfortably use hybrid holsters, either. I wear either Brommeland Max-Con Vs or custom kydex from Midworld Gunleather. I have also made a couple kydex holsters myself for my bigger guns.

1,458 Posts
Hard to say for sure what the source of the problem might be. I would suggest contacting White Hat about it (they may be able to offer advice about their particular holster).

If you have never carried IWB before, it may take some getting used to. Additionally, horse hide often takes longer to "beak in" and conform to your body. I'm not sure if this applies to the leather WH uses or not.

At any rate, I would suggest getting in touch with the maker. They will likely be your best resource in this situation.

Good luck! Hopefully you can get it worked out!
-Clay

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should try PJ holsters or LATOUR CUSTOM holsters i use both some holster feel better in certain pants better than others.
Definitely agree. Some pants are more comfortable with this thing. Todays pants... I would rather duct tape my glock to my hip than to wear this thing any longer right now! I'm gona give it a few more days atleast, but seems like with my body type, this aint gona work out. Im even considering another OWB leather holster that sucks in to the waist real close to help conceal and going that route instead. This is my first IWB holster.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'll just toss out to you to give it a little more time. You're putting a pretty good amount of extra "stuff" in your pants and against your body. Stuff you're not used to and pressing against you where you're not used to. No guarantee you'll get used to it, but it does take time.

I will say the N82 is very comfortable. I tried the Professional and didn't like it at all but went to their Original and am very happy with it.

Different strokes for different folks is definitely the phrase of the day when it comes to holsters. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the guys that are happy with their N82 holsters, may I ask your build? Height/weight? Sorry if thats weird lol. I just know its a huge factor for each person in whats tolerable. Still, like I said, I realize everyone is slightly different, but it might help solidify my choice to give the N82 holster a shot. Also, why do so many prefer the original over the professional version? Is it just because you dont like the draw, or other reasons as well? Im seeing this alot on other reviewers. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Give it a little more break in time. I had to with my galco king-tuk same style of holster. Once mine was broke in it became more comfy.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm 6'3" 190, a true Adonis

OK, maybe not... 5'9" 190

I have an Old Faithful hybrid IWB which is the same style as your WhiteHat and it took me a little time to get used to it. I like it and alternate between it and the N82.

As far as the N82 goes, the Professional is simply more rigid and thicker and therefore less comfortable than the Original. The drawback to the Original is you can't reholster easily because the part that holds the pistol is pretty much soft elastic. But because it's thinner it's much more comfortable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've carried a 9mm Walther PPS in a White Hat Holster just like you described every day for the last three months. I also carry an extra mag in a White Hat IWB single mag (single stack) mag carrier.

I am left handed and wear the holster in the 8:30 position. I carry the mag in the small of my back. I always wear a t-shirt

I agree, the holster was not very comfortable for the first week or so. But I stuck with it and experimented with various configurations and positions.

Now I wear it all day every day and sometimes forget I have it on. The horse hide is stiff at first but it's now molded perfectly to my 5' 11" 205 lb body.

Patience is a virtue, seldom seen in a man, never in a woman...

·
Registered
191 Posts
The original N82 feels like wearing a pillow for a holster. I have one for my revolver and like it. The only gripe I have with it is it not cut like most holsters where the handle area is exposed where you can grab your gun. But with a little practice you can draw quickly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Definitely agree. Some pants are more comfortable with this thing. Todays pants... I would rather duct tape my glock to my hip than to wear this thing any longer right now! I'm gona give it a few more days atleast, but seems like with my body type, this aint gona work out. Im even considering another OWB leather holster that sucks in to the waist real close to help conceal and going that route instead. This is my first IWB holster.
Some myself included wear appx one size larger pant when carrying IWB.
I dont have the White hat but do have a CBST and just recently a Old Faithful and prefer them over my previous MS VMII

·
Registered
192 Posts
6'1", 200lbs. I have the N82 original and find it very comfortable at either 4 o'clock or 1 o'clock. I adjusted the clip location so it rides a bit lower.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went out today and bought a few pairs of shorts. I tried them on with the holster. The whole reason I bought the maxtuck was for summer wear. Hopefully it warms up soon and I can try this out with clothes Ill actually be wearing this summer. It did feel better with the shorts I bought. The long pants Ive been wearing are actually a size larger already, but I think its the style of jeans thats the problem. It felt much better in cargo shorts. Here goes round 2. Not giving up on the whitehat just yet!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Where is it digging in? And is the edge smoothed and burnished?

All leather or horsehide needs to break in to the wearer for body type and carry position. The best way to do that is wear it. Don't try to speed up the process by adding anything. Just let it break in on it's own.

Keep in mind that IWB is hardly ever going to be comfortable like a lot of folks think of comfort. Your shoving a big piece of metal and plastic wrapped in leather and kydex in your pants. You have to get used to it as well. My first IWB hybrid wore my side raw until I got used to wearing it. It should not be painful mind you. But there is a point where you just have to get used to wearing something in the waist line.

Generally, a belt is not as important IWB. But that's something to consider too. If the belt is not holding the holster in place correctly that might be causing problems too.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I received my whitehat holster monday or tuesday morning and have worn it since. I got the horsehide in black color. Its for my glock 27. For anyone wondering, it took about 3 weeks from time of order to receive it. Anyways, I am wondering if there are others that have experienced comfort issues like me that are about my size. Im 5'10 175-180 avg size guy. Ive tried several different positions, cants, adjusted the ride height, etc and just cant get it comfortable enough for my liking. It digs into me and drives me insane to the point I cannot wait to take the thing off. Also, the black dye wore off where my gun rests the first day I had it. Im sure that is to be expected at some point, but the first day was kind of disappointing to say the least. I realize every person is different and opinions will vary greatly, but Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this that is about my size and found a more comfortable option for IWB. That may help me out and save me some money on a different holster. I will say I was impressed by the workmanship when I first set eyes on it, and Im not implying this is not a good quality holster because it is, Im just saying it is not comfortable to "me" at all so far. I can look past the black dye wearing off if the thing would feel somewhat comfortable. Should I just give it more time? Sure doesnt seem like its gona get much better comfort wise to me. Im starting the eyeball the N82.[/QUOTE

Hi there. This is Tony from White Hat. I would generally agree with the comments so far. You do have a full 2 weeks to try it out and I would give it a minimum of one week of daily wear to let the leather break down a bit and start conforming to your body. If it is not going to work for you please let us know so we can arrange a return for you. I don't want you to spend hard earned money on something that you can't use. I'll be the first to tell you that no one holster product is going to be right for every person but we try to come as close as we can. Still please do give it a little more time and let us know how it goes. On the belt question, a good sturdy 1.5 inch belt makes a WORLD of difference when carrying IWB for comfort and stability. As for the dye, on the black horsehide particularly, some guns will scratch the finish on the first few uses but over time those areas will smooth out and burnish down to a dark chestnut brown color. I know it can look bad at first but it will get better with time. If it is actually coming off rather than scratching please let me know as that should not happen. I hope this helps. We truly appreciate your support and if there is anything we can do or any specific question we can address please email, or call us any time. God bless and be safe.

·
Registered
511 Posts
There you go right from the maker. I have to agree, give it a little bit to break in and you to get used to it, I'm 5'9" 174lbs I were mine at about the 4 o'clock postion, and If your pants are to tight it makes it really uncomfortable, I buy the next size up and it makes a world of differance, I carry a XDsc (pretty close to same size as Glock 27) in a Galco King Tuc and a M&P Shield in a Crossbreed Mini tuck, the Crossbreed is way more comfortable than my Galco, and was that way from day one, granted I had to wait almost 2 months to get it. I think a good belt also makes a world of differance whether IWB or OWB. Don't give up on it yet.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I am a bigger guy, 6'2 270 and I tried a crossbreed. As far as hybrids I did not get it to be comfortable either. My issue was that it felt as though it was constantly moving with my body. I want an IWB that feels like it is attached to the belt, not my body. I have been using a Milt Spark VMII for my Colt Commander 1911 and it is a muh better fit for me. I carried an LC9 in the CBST. I like the Sparks because it does not constantly move in the way it felt the hybrid did. I believe this is because it has less material touching my body.

I love the holster and am looking at more of them in the future. Good luck. Holsters are a PITA as they are very subjective. One mans grail is another mans trash.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I carry in a White Hat everyday. I am a little larger build than you are. My horse hide only took about a day it two start forming to my body. I carry at 3:00-4:00 most of the time. I sit most of the day, but find this position works great for me all around.

I have tried many holsters that others praised, but did not work well for me, so I don't think one holster works for everyone. I hope I works out for you, but if not I have nothing but great things about WH customer service, although I hope to never use it.

Good luck on finding that sweet holster & belt combo. I now feel strange not having my G27 when I have to leave it behind.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts