Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at a new Glock 29sf for $575. :rolleyes:
My local gun shop always carries 10mm, so no problem with ammo.
What ammo does one suggest?

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
86 Posts
just a qustion

I was wondering why you choose to carry a 10mm vs a 45? they seem to about the same round to me from what i have read.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i've been carrying a Glock 20 for about 3 months, stoked with 15 rounds of 180 gr Buffalo Bore JHP & an extra mag of same. It's a lot of gun to CC but I'm a pretty good sized fellow. Should be interesting this summer???? and have been looking at the same G29sf for then. I'm reasonably confident that with an 870 in the safe room, stoked with 00, and the G20 as a "backup"...someone (bg(s))will pay dearly to gain access to that room.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I carried a glock 29 for about 6 months I just stuck to whatever federal had out at the time. that was a hell of a gun, I was just scared that if I ever had to use it I would accidently kill someone 10 miles away in my path. (slightly exaggerated) but you get the picture

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm on the prowl for a Glock 20, and have started picking up ammo and accessories where I can find it (10mm isn't common here). From my research, it seems 165-185gr is a good place to start for SD loads. I'm going to start with some Winchester 175gr silver tips that look good on paper at least (though I have also read ballistics being over state) and plan on trying to get ahold of some underwood xtps. I have some 200gr hardcast from doubletap for the woods. Please post back with whatever you find works for you, I'd be interested to hear.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I carry one while backpacking. From what I've seen most regular store bought 10mm ammo is pretty weak for the cartridge and loaded way under spec so you may as well carry a 40 S&W. However, if you do a good search you can find proper strength 10mm ammo (Buffalo, Underwood) and actually make it worth your while.

Oh, and it's a Glock 29SF with the pearce pinky extension (+0) for the mag, which IMO is pretty essential for a decent grip. Firing it is like holding a 2x4 and having someone hit it with a hammer. It is not a fun gun to shoot but it definitely packs a decent punch.

·
Premium Member
36,808 Posts
I occasionally carry a Smith and Wesson 1006. It's loaded with 200 grain Hornady XTP.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Glock 29 SF + Hornady 155 gr. XTP @ 1,278 fps = my 10mm carry combo.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I was wondering why you choose to carry a 10mm vs a 45? they seem to about the same round to me from what i have read.

Muzzle energy-wise the best / top 45acp loading will only equal a low to mid range loading of a 10mm. Again muzzle energy-wise a properly loaded 10mm round will be between a .357mag and .41mag. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I hope this helps. God Bless :smile:

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
Glock 20sf loaded with Buffalo Bore riding in a IWB Milt Sparks watchsix holster and if in cool weather in a Safariland pancake holster with retention snap for OWB. But latley I got a MIC trigger cover in kydex. That and a Pachmyer rubber grip adapter has proven a great way for me to carry also. I agree with another post that most 10mm ammo that's out there is abt the same as 40SW. If I had things to do all over I would have got a Glock 21sf to shoot 45ACP for defense and got a 10 conversion barrel for it. Anyway I will keep what I have and either get a 21 down the road or get a 40 conversion barrel for my 10mm.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Muzzle energy-wise the best / top 45acp loading will only equal a low to mid range loading of a 10mm. Again muzzle energy-wise a properly loaded 10mm round will be between a .357mag and .41mag. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I hope this helps. God Bless :smile:
I believe this is correct. More or less the difference between a .380 an a 9mm. I have the G29SF, lots of power.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I carried a 10mm off and on for about 8 years, mostly as my outdoors gun.

Shot everything from the available Winchester Silvertips, to Double Taps superb 165 gr. Gold Dots.

These days I'm a big fan of the DT TAC-XP that are the BARNES solid copper hollow-point.

However, even though I think the DT 155 TAC-XP load would be ideal for human defense.

I'd like something
heavier for animals like the double Tap hard cast or from others like Buffalo Bore.

DoubleTap Ammunition
I never encountered a Bear or such but always felt confident with the DT 180 Gr. Gold Dots, or 200 gr. Hornady XTPs.

One interesting 10mm load is the 165 gr. Equalizer. TWO projectiles out of the same case!

DoubleTap Ammunition

So, basically.. most factory 10mm stuff is watered down until you get into what people call :Boutique Ammo.

DT, Buff Bore and others that take the 10mm to it's real potential.

If I lived in Alaska, I'd carry a Glock 10mm.

I sold about 650 rounds of hot 10mm reloads to a guy last year..he was super pleased with the deal.

That was years of me reloading and experimenting with what remains to be a very powerful and
accurate cartridge.

You have a great gun , so have some fun finding and playing around with the variety of 10mm fodder on the market.

KEV

·
Registered
473 Posts
OD G29 stuffed with Underwood 200 grainers. Best all-round caliber and platform ever.

Buy it. You won't regret it.

Reactions: MichiganCCW

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, I don't carry a 10 yet, but have a G29 on back order for that purpose. My top choices in ammo will be hand loaded Silver Tips which I've read a lot of good things about, or more likely, hand loaded XTPs or Golden Sabers. They're far more likely for me because they're not insanely expensive as are the Silver Tips, and I like to shoot my carry rounds rather frequently. I have no problem carrying hand loads. If Speer/CCI made their Gold Dot Law Enforcement ammo in 10, then I'd buy a few boxes of that exclusively for carry.

I'm a huge fan of 40SW, and a 45ACP bigot with the best of them--but when you can get the capacity of a 40 with significantly more beef than the 45, AND an incredibly accurate round on top of that with a dozen or more reasonable bullets to choose from...well, I'm fast becoming a total convert. With a 10mm in the M&P lineup, I think the decision would be done for a lot of shooters looking for Perfect. As for me, I'll learn to love the Glock--if not, I'll at least learn to shoot it. I wish I had discovered this jewel years ago, and had ignored all the 'recoil' this and 'recoil' that nonsense, just as I did with 40SW. The cartridge doesn't have to be loaded to stratospheric levels to surpass in every way I can think of any other practical auto-pistol choice going.

Did I mention how much I like the 10x25? Yup...it's that good.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
My dad had a 10mm Glock once upon a time. It was okay, ran well but wasn't much fun to shoot with full bore ammo. It would rock for backpacking and carry in the field, though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts