Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a .357 for pocket carry and/or owb carry. I want the punch of the 357 and the weight of an all-steel gun. I'm thinking of a S&W 640 2" or a Ruger SP101. Anybody have experience carrying these?

The Ruger is cheaper but the S&W is nicer looking IMO; other than that, they seem pretty even.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have a Ruger SP 101 2" with a bobbed hammer. Pocket carry is doable, but really not practical for me. My S&W 642 is much easier to pocket carry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i carry a S&W 636-L in my pocket and IWB alot... almost the same pistol except mine has the shrouded hammer.
front pocket can be tricky if you have the 3 finger grips, i have the same grips you have posted on your pic...
i love rugers but i wont hesitate to choose a S&W over a ruger if were talking wheel guns...
JMO

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
a Taurus 605 - 5 shot, many times.

·
Registered
764 Posts
is the sp101 in .357 magnum?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Count me in! I carry a S&W 340sc in my pants pocket (in a Don Hume pocket holster), occasionally on my ankle, and also occasionally in a Ryan Grizzle IWB -- In fact, that was the way I carried it today. I carry other weapons, but, I find the little snub nose revolver reliable and easy to grab. Every permit holder should own one! IMHO :yup:

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I carry a M&P 340 in a Desantis Nemesis. Very potent little pocket package.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I carry a 3" Model 60 in a Nemesis pocket holster.

·
Registered
116 Posts
S&W 340PD in a Tagua holster or pocket carry in warmer months.
.357 and very light and concealable.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have my SP 101 in my pocket as I type this response. Normally I carry it IWB in a supertuck, but my overalls don't facilitate that method. I found the grip on the SP101 to fit my hand better than the small frame .357 Smiths (such as my wife's S&W 637), though I've never had the opportunity to hold / shoot the Model 60 or similar series.

After replacing the hammer and trigger springs and performing a simple trigger job it has become one of my favorites to shoot. You really couldn't go wrong with either the Ruger or one of the Smiths.

BJC

1 - 20 of 34 Posts