Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently decided to switch my carry gun from a Springfield XD .45 to a K frame (or equivalent) revolver in .357. Any number of reasons for that, but I'm starting to get discouraged by the holster selection.

So, who here carries a K frame equivalent, and what do you pack it in?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Model 65, i use a federal holster. Nylon IWB/OWB ambidexterous model.

·
Registered
830 Posts
if the security six is a k frame equivalent then i do. I use a H721OT for my security six, and for that matter all 4 of my carry guns. Nicely priced for what you get there are probably more holsters available for your gun than mine. fist makes revolver holsters i believe as does little bear holsters. i'm sure ret will post his usual Fist holster linking you to a good choice...think its ret that does that. i still need to look into them as well

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I hope to be picking up a K frame, S&W Model 65 soon. Meanwhile I carry something close, my S&W 686+(L frame) and I use a Sourdough Pancake holster from Simply Rugged.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I carry a 3" 65 in a Desantis OWB. It's very comfortable and conceals well.

·
Super Moderator
18,837 Posts
I carry a K-Frame Smith & Wesson Model 10 4-inch most often. For cool weather carry I've toted it in this Bucheimer Federal Man holster since the 1970s. High-rise holsters of this type conceal well beneath a jacket or suit coat.

Here's the Bucheimer Federal Man afield with me Monday of this week. I usually don't use the Federal Man as a field holster but finally wore out an equally old Smith & Wesson holster recently and haven't replaced it.

For summertime use with the same revolver I use a Holsters Unlimited IWB holster. I used to frequently carry the Model 10 in a Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster under my suit but that holster doesn't see much use any more.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have a Model 13 4" and have been looking for options as well. I really like the Simply Rugged everyone who has one seems pleased. I am going to follow this thread for other suggestions as well.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I was hoping to get a C-Tac but was sad to see they skip straight from J to L frames. :(
As soon as I get my hands on the K-frame and find a holster, I'll report back. I'm hoping it's early next week.:smile:

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I've recently decided to switch my carry gun from a Springfield XD .45 to a K frame (or equivalent) revolver in .357. Any number of reasons for that, but I'm starting to get discouraged by the holster selection.

So, who here carries a K frame equivalent, and what do you pack it in?
I carry various revolvers and have a short list of holstermakers. It's getting harder and harder to find a "cowbender" that can work around the wheelie. Here's my short list:

Milt Sparks
Matt Del Fatti
Greg Kramer

Biker

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I carry a k-frame model 66-1 w/ 2.5" barrel from time to time. I have a Galso combat master pancake style holster which rides high, and a Don Hume JIT, which works ok. I have a AKJ Concealco IWB holster on order.

·
Banned
123 Posts
I just dug out after the first of the year and started again carrying occasionally my Model 19 Combat Magnum 2.5" Nickel.... It rides in a Desantis Thumbbreak Scabbard holster. I like that holster because it has 2 set of belt loops so you get into very high ride position for more concelled carry.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Model 66 snubby in PWL holster

Once in awhile I carry the model 66 snubby below in a PWL leather scabbard holster. It rides nice and high and conceals well.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I was on the search for a tuckable IWB for a 4" K frame. I tried calling to see if it would be available and the guy sorta chuckled and said man folks just aint carryin em. I guess there just isnt as big of a demand cause they arent as cool. As much as I love my Glock 26 my K frame trigger is like butter and magical.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Grandfather oak actually made me an IWB which works fairly well I just wish I had asked for two belt loops. Its kydex and works great it just wouldnt move as much if it had two loops to stabalize it.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
If you have patience, a Milt Sparks PMK is a truly wonderful sixgun holster. Slightly less concealable is the Milt Sparks 200AW, which has a leather flap that shrouds the hammer and rear sight area from contact with the cover garment. The Kramer Vertical Scabbard is another good one.

Rob Leahy, at Simplyrugged.com, knows how to make a good sixgun holster, and his delivery time is probably quicker than Milt Sparks by a large margin.

Bob Mernickles makes wonderful sixgun rigs, too, and not just for the single-actions.

Presently, my only K-frame is a Model 17, .22 LR. I hope to remedy that, as I am on the lookout for a good Model 19. (I have examined quite a few, but I am patient, and picky.) I mostly use Rugers these days, but miss my K-frames from the past. I am still kicking myself for selling a couple of them off to finance those horrible Kimbers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I carry mine in a shoulder holster. Cold weather it's concealed under jacket. In warm weather I wear a denim vest. In really hot weather I throw a loose fitting light weight shirt over the one I already have on.

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
I carry my 66-1 2.5" all the time in one of my The Slide. I love the gun and feels right to carry it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It seems my options are either: low quality generic, OWB, or a long wait and an expensive holster. :\ Do not want...

Edit: I haven't had time to research all the suggestions above, so forgive me if my pessimism turns out to be unjustified.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts