Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a S&W 642 or 442 so bad that I can taste it, but I don't trust the internal locking mechanism. One of my range buddies swore by his 642 until one day at the range the internal lock malfunctioned. He couldn't rotate the cylinder, nor could he pull the trigger, nor could he activate the cylinder release latch. We were STUNNED!! He then sat it down for about five minutes and tried to activate the cylinder release latch and the cylinder was released. He then locked the cylinder back into position and nothing. Couldn't pull the trigger, couldn't rotate the cylinder.
So I have seen it with my own eyes that the internal locking mechanism malfunctions!! Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Super Moderator
13,097 Posts
I've got 'em on three 686s, and used them at Gunsite for nearly 1000 rounds in the desert and about 1200 rounds before I went, shooting fast enough to heat up the gun and have yet to see a problem with the lock.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
It happens, but it is extremely rare. I can tell you that when a revolver has a failure it usually requires tools to remedy. A good friend of mine is a moderator at the S&W forum and he has been tracking IL related failures on S&W revolvers.

I couldn't pull up his thread but I'll shoot him an email and see what his count is up to right now. I can tell you that whatever his findings are he still carries a J-Frame snub with the lock, and I do as well, although for me it is a back-up gun vs a primary.

-Scott-

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I've pounded quite a few full powered 500 S&W mags out of my X frame and it hasn't broke the internal lock i have 3 Smith wheelies at the moment and had not problems with them ...

Since the 500 didn't come apart that pretty much makes the worry about the lack a non issue for me

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I wouldn't say lack of trust quite but ''uneasy'' - yes.

I only have two - M629 and M625 and neither is or will be carry anyways. Neither has had the lock used ever nor will they and I think that is maybe a factor that makes for less perceived risk.

It's just something I'd prefer was not there!

·
Registered
103 Posts
To me, provides no benefit from a safety stand point and just adds another toy for Murphy to play with from a reliablity standpoint.

Glad my J and K frames were made before this PC nonsense took hold.

·
Registered
216 Posts
ka0azs said:
To me, provides no benefit from a safety stand point and just adds another toy for Murphy to play with from a reliablity standpoint.

Glad my J and K frames were made before this PC nonsense took hold.
Yup.

·
Super Moderator
13,097 Posts
H&K USPs have locks, too, FWIW.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You could get struck by lightning if you go outside. You could die if you drink the water.

I'm not meaning to be a smart a$$. There are a billion things that could happen to any gun. Every type of gun has had problems. You just don't stop using a gun just because someone somewhere (even if you know them) had a problem with it. If you do, you don't get a gun, sorry.

Nothing is 100%.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
The problem with the Smith and Wesson lock isn't so much that there's a lock per se, but that it's such a piss poor design. The Taurus design is much more elegant. Ruger is at least going to put them inside the grips.

First of all a revolver doesn't need an internal lock it's just something else to go wrong. An padlock will secure a wheelgun just fine.

Second of all it should be an option not a requirement. I can see the appeal of it for some uses/people/situations.

Third the problem is they put the lock where it can easily be manipulated and thus engaged at the wrong time, AND it's right where all the recoil of the revolver impacts.

They can be disabled at the cost of your warranty, but the spiderhole will still be there.

I am honestly surprised no one has started making replacement sideplates or a plug. I know a lot of people, self included, who would be interested in having the lock disabled and the sideplate replaced.

The thing that angers me about them is that S&W could easily offer pieces with or without the lock but they don't bother to. They are alienating themselves more and more from their customers.

My new 625 has one, I'm going to ignore it. I figure if it malfunctions then at least my family will become rich suing S&W.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Euclidean: Did I read your post correctly-Ruger is going to start installing internal locks on their revolvers or semi-automatics?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jarhead79: You were being a smart a$$ but its ok because I am one to at times. I own a S&W 686 with the internal lock and it never malfunctioned, but its a heavier gun. Actually I am just getting back from one of the gun shops I frequent and they had a NIB 442 with the lock so I passed. There is a gun show in March that I will attend and I hope I can find a 442 NIB without the locking mechanism.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Trebla said:
Euclidean: Did I read your post correctly-Ruger is going to start installing internal locks on their revolvers or semi-automatics?
All ready are my new single action 50th flattop 357 has it so do all the new vaqueros

·
Registered
370 Posts
As many of you have probably already read on several internet forums, the idiot-lock on my 60-15 self-engaged when I oafishly knocked the unloaded gun off a counter onto a hardwood floor. The "Gun Locked" flag got situated crossways in its slot, and I had to go to the safe, find the box, find the keys, fully lock the gun and then fully unlock it to remedy the problem.

At the time, I just felt sheepish that I'd dropped my gun and locked it up. As I thought about it, though, it occurred to me that this sort of a knocking-about is what might happen during a situation in which I might have to actually use the gun. Not good that there's a part in there that can go awry and lock the gun up.

So, I traded the gun off.

I've had Springfield Armories and a Taurus with locks onboard, and never had a problem. I think that S&W's lock is poorly designed compared to these others. Never say never, but I certainly don't intend to get another S&W revolver with the lock. (I have several without the lock, though.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shocking discovery

I was at the range last week and was talking with a corrections officer. He purchased a Beretta as his carry gun. I don't recall what model. He carried it 3 weeks before he took it to the range (BIG MISTAKE!!!) When his finally took it to the range for a trial run, he discovered that there was NO FIRING PIN in the gun.
If he had to use it before he took it to the range he would have been in BIG TROUBLE. I don't understand someone with that experience not trying his gun before carrying it. I'll bet he doesn't do that again.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Being as how S&W was purchased by a gun lock company go figure why they don't offer any models without a lock. :theyareontome: Saf-T-Lok bought S&W to have a platform for their product. I think this deal was years in the making as a former S&W CEO was at Saf-T-Lok when it bought S&W. :theyareontome:

So now you know. I haven't heard back from my friend on his catalog of lock failures. I'll post the result when he provides it.

-Scott-

·
Registered
78 Posts
The S&W locks can and DO fail. My wife's gun (j-frame LadySmith) locked up during our CCW training.:redface:

Our local gunsmith will disable the lock as soon as I can get the gun over there.

Zundfolge, if you need a S&W worked on, contact me. Jack can do most anything, but he will grumble about it a bunch first.

·
Registered
737 Posts
jarhead79 said:
You could get struck by lightning if you go outside. You could die if you drink the water.
True. I don't take walks during lightning storms though. Nor do I drive a car that I know has potentially bad brakes. You can't control freak acts of nature; you can control whether or not your defensive handgun has unnecessary extra parts which add no useful function and which have been known to fail. I prefer to control the variables that I can, and my choice of handgun definitely falls under that category.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts