Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,601 Posts
Yes, I love "the outdoors"! My Club is having their "Spring Campout" this weekend. NOT ruffing it, though. I'm using "a brother's bus". (I hope to pick up a pop-up rig, just like yours, some time this year!)

·
Registered
42,056 Posts
Loved camping as a kid, endured it as I grew older on hunting trips, outgrew it upon reaching the elder stage. Too many aches and pains to do it now. Great for those who can still do such treks.

·
Premium Member
5,601 Posts
I must admit, that though "our property is in the woods", we enjoy a clubhouse with hot shower's, & "real toilet's"!* No A/C or heat in the clubhouse yet! MAYBE, in about two years.

*pretty much like camping in a state park, BUT, "more like Sturgis"!! 😂

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Our first trip was scheduled for this week and the spring Turkey hunt but, 3 inches of snow and highs in the low thirties changed our plans. We will go as soon as a better forecast shows up which looks a couple of weeks out. We had 22 last night at home.
Camping cold is fine but, I hate stationary hunting in the 20's anymore.
This is our camping these days. Queen bed, bathroom and heat in an easily tow able 18 footer.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My wife and I have loved camping and hiking for all of our married life - 46 years. This year the big trip will be the North Dakota Badlands. Otherwise, we camp in area state parks (with good shower facilities!). We still use a good tent, but we now carry cots and mattresses when we can carry them. I guess we are getting soft.

·
Premium Member
8,748 Posts
I have been conditioning myself this past month by carrying a full backpack on my daily walks started at 1 mile now up to 5 miles with 40lbs.
Plan on heading into Palo Duro Canyon last week in April for a little 3 day backpacking before the heat sets in. Beautiful scenery up there.

·
Premium Member
8,748 Posts
If you have never been to the 2nd largest canyon in the USA here is a little video on it.
You can really get away from the park crowd if your willing to hike in a bit.
The night sky is awesome. The Milky Way will take your breath away. Hard to go to sleep with all that nighttime beauty.
Lots of Horny Toads to play with in the mornings too.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
If you have never been to the 2nd largest canyon in the USA here is a little video on it.
You can really get away from the park crowd if your willing to hike in a bit.
The night sky is awesome. The Milky Way will take your breath away. Hard to go to sleep with all that nighttime beauty.
Lots of Horny Toads to play with in the mornings too.

Probably plenty of rattly snakes to play with too.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We mostly hit state parks...Indian Cave SP is our fav.
3000 acres and it sits on the old town of St Deroin.
Modern and primitive camping with bath houses and laundry facility.
Even some of the old structures from back in the day are still there.
Fall is a beautiful time to be there with the colors that time yr.
You can make your own soap like back in the day.and make a broom the old way.
There is a old school house and trappers cabin etc etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Don't do much in the winter. The higher elevations don't open up around here until June. We are out at every possible opportunity in the summer, though. If I can't carry it on my back, it doesn't go. Here's a few pics of one of my trips out last summer, to Marmot Pass overlooking the upper Dungeness Valley in Olympic National Forest. This was in July. Most of our trips here in Washington are something like this...

Getting there (that's me in pic):

This is our campsite, high up on the ridge at about 6,000 feet:

The view toward the east from this campsite. The trail to get here follows the Big Quilcene river (a creek, really) up this valley:

and the view to the west/southwest from there, looking into the upper Dungeness:

If anyone would like to see more, I have plenty, from lots of other trips...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,748 Posts
Don't do much in the winter. The higher elevations don't open up around here until June. We are out at every possible opportunity in the summer, though. If I can't carry it on my back, it doesn't go. Here's a few pics of my last trip out, to Marmot Pass overlooking the upper Dungeness Valley in Olympic National Forest. This was in July. Most of our trips here in Washington are something like this...
Getting there:
View attachment 352691

This is our campsite, high up on the ridge at about 6,000 feet:
View attachment 352692

The view toward the east from this campsite:
View attachment 352694

and the view to the west/southwest from there, looking into the upper Dungeness:
View attachment 352695

If anyone would like to see more, I have plenty, from lots of other trips...
You and I sir have very similar taste in camping.
If I can't carry it, I don't need it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts